Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not a complete anomaly but it depends on your midfield.
For eg melb often have 30 + because they only ever play gawn trac viney and oliver there and dont rotate others in a lot.
Gc use rowell anderson touk and witts almost exclusively and they get a high %of the cbas which is why guys like davies dont get games and humphrey plays hf.

We could do that but we dont have the same quality in our best 4 mids (and danger and guthrie need managing) so we have to run a larger group of 8 or 9 rather than 4 or 5 A graders which is partly why the numbers are lower.
Whether thats tactically a bad call is another matter but its definitely a reason.

Great points. I'm just going to settle for it's a work in progress, rather than kill myself with angst.
BTW: I wouldn't like to be sitting next to Joel in the stands, he must still be itchy.

Got Rohan as well. I think that is the way they will go despite some logic in leaving Neale out given conditions. If they don’t play Neale with both Keys out then I reckon it doesn’t help his confidence levels.
I think Neale will have to play not just up forward but to give Blitz a chop out in the ruck. Also makes sense if we get forced into bombing the ball into the forward line.

No, they're not an anomaly. Possession stats for top ball-getters have been rising decade by decade in the competition. Have a look at the top possession winners by average in the history of the game (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players.html#a0); with the exception of Diesel, and Bob Skilton (because only the last 100 games of his career are counted), they are all modern footballers. All of the top 10 are still playing.

I'm really meaning in each of today's games, the player achieving over 30 is usually best on ground, but it's not a weekly occurrence, and certainly not more than one or two in the same team, unless you're playing easy beats. They are still unrealistic numbers to expect from us anyway, given the input by Pure_Ownage above.

I think Neale will have to play not just up forward but to give Blitz a chop out in the ruck. Also makes sense if we get forced into bombing the ball into the forward line.

If neale is fit he should play to help out blitz with witts.
Otherwise sdk will have to be the second ruck which i dont like id prefer him on king all game (remembering we wont have hawkins for f50 throw ins).
Id put both neale and mannagh in this week.
If neales still got the ankle issue thats a different story.

I'm really meaning in each of today's games, the player achieving over 30 is usually best on ground, but it's not a weekly occurrence, and certainly not more than one or two in the same team, unless you're playing easy beats. They are still unrealistic numbers to expect from us anyway, given the input by Pure_Ownage above.
I feel like you must only watch Geelong games to believe this

Hoo boy.

OUT: Hawkins (rest), Cameron (inj), Duncan (rest), Stanley (omit)
IN: Neale, Bruhn, Bowes, Conway

Had hoped to be able to see Hardie debut, but now four forced changes is already too many. :mad:
Conway missed this week with a Hip Flexor injury. Isn't this normally an injury that takes a couple of weeks to come good?

I feel like you must only watch Geelong games to believe this

Actually our TV is tuned in to every game from Thurs-Sun, we have a Supercoach aficionado in the house.
Why would it matter anyway, the discussion is around us, but you go ahead and quote me all the weekend's players with 30 plus, and who they played.
That's the cutoff, 30, as suggested/ expected by the poster I was replying too.

I am talking about Duncan. And that apparently he should be out next Thursday.
Parfitt is just 1 of the 4-5 mids we have that Duncan on fumes can seemingly outperform.

Do you really believe Chris Scott is about to drop Duncan? I certainly don't even think it'd have crossed his mind let alone discussed at MC.
I expect Duncan will be managed Thursday night.

Last edited:
Actually our TV is tuned in to every game from Thurs-Sun, we have a Supercoach aficionado in the house.
Why would it matter anyway, the discussion is around us, but you go ahead and quote me all the weekend's players with 30 plus, and who they played.
That's the cutoff, 30, as suggested/ expected by the poster I was replying too.
Cripps
Walsh
Butters
Wines
Serong
Amon
Newcombe
Bonner
Steele
T. Green
Martin
Davis-Uniake
Fisher
Treloar
Richards
McKercher
Bontempelli
Dale

All these players got 30+ this round. The round isn't over yet. You are clueless.

I guess it works the other way where players had to show an intent to get rid of the ball when tackled.
Agree

The old requirement for the tackled played to make an attempt to get rid of the ball is gone it seems .

Watching last night a fair number (if not a lot ) of players tackled just after gathering, locked the ball in. Both arms around ball. Wait,wait, wait... whistle goes ....stoppage.

The only way to reduce this IMO is to require the tackled player to make an attempt to get the ball away.

If tackle is good enough to prevent an attempt to get rid of it , quick whistle , ball up.

I seem to remember some umpire calls saying insufficient attempt to get ball out a few years back. None yesterday.

In a couple of games the stoppages at times spoilt the watch early but viewing got better as games opened up.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1986644
Not allowed to talk about Bruhn in this way on this board
I think the truth is in the middle somewhere. He's not as bad as you make out but his low 20s production isn't due the over the top praise this board gives our whole midfield. The numbers speak for themselves, our group is below league average.

Cripps
Walsh
Butters
Wines
Serong
Amon
Newcombe
Bonner
Steele
T. Green
Martin
Davis-Uniake
Fisher
Treloar
Richards
McKercher
Bontempelli
Dale

All these players got 30+ this round. The round isn't over yet. You are clueless.

Still an average of one, rarely two, per team, depending on who they played. If you expect to achieve these figures across a depleted/disorganised midfield like ours, which is the point, you better go and sign some of these up, since you're such an Einstein.

He has had the “minor” issue for a couple of weeks (surprising I know given not listed as injured but managed!) so I think is touch and go for this week
Probably would not risk him in wet/slippery conditions and give him the extra week. Means we either ruck Blicavs with chop out from Neale (assuming Neale's ankle is ok) or we play Stanley again.

Probably would not risk him in wet/slippery conditions and give him the extra week. Means we either ruck Blicavs with chop out from Neale (assuming Neale's ankle is ok) or we play Stanley again.
Blitz Neale going forward is my least worst combo

Agree

The old requirement for the tackled played to make an attempt to get rid of the ball is gone it seems .

Watching last night a fair number (if not a lot ) of players tackled just after gathering, locked the ball in. Both arms around ball. Wait,wait, wait... whistle goes ....stoppage.

The only way to reduce this IMO is to require the tackled player to make an attempt to get the ball away.

If tackle is good enough to prevent an attempt to get rid of it , quick whistle , ball up.

I seem to remember some umpire calls saying insufficient attempt to get ball out a few years back. None yesterday.

In a couple of games the stoppages at times spoilt the watch early but viewing got better as games opened up.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah these days if there's no prior, the tackled player seems to be able to hold on it rather than even attempting to dispose.

My suggestion was that it should be on the tackler too to show an intent to win the ball or knock it clear.

The norm should be that the ball comes free, either through a correct or an incorrect disposal.
If the ball is locked in with all players in the contest trying to win the ball back and there's no prior, ok then you have a stoppage.

I am talking about Duncan. And that apparently he should be out next Thursday.
Parfitt is just 1 of the 4-5 mids we have that Duncan on fumes can seemingly outperform.

Do you really believe Chris Scott is about to drop Duncan? I certainly don't even think it'd have crossed his mind let alone discussed at MC.

Omit - no

Manage - yes

Would the MC consider O'Sullivan into defence and running JHenry and OHenry as forwards?
Something like:
OHenry, Neale, Stengle
Miers, JHenry, Close

If Conway doesn't get up for Thursday, I think O'Sullivan will be in serious consideration - omit Stanley, play Blicavs as the #1 ruck and then use a combination of Neale, SDK & J. Henry to assist, with O'Sullivan helping down back

It's time to recognize this as delusion. We need ball winners. We have not had a single player get 30 touches this entire season (manually went through the stats to discover this so there is a small chance I missed one). This is costing us games and we can't keep pretending we are the only team to use the interchange.

Our midfield is dire.

Holmes - 31 touches versus Melbourne

Easiest way to check is to look at the games list on Footywire - it shows the disposal & goal leaders without having to check individual games

After round 1 we’ve made 27 changes at selection at an average of 3.37 changes per game. 32 players have already tasted action this year.

I appreciate it takes a squad to be successful across the season but you also need to be predictable to each other.

The counter argument is that Scott is betting on players knowing the system and that building depth is a strength. Probably a little early to tell and hard to be critical of when we’ve lost two games by a kick or so.

Interestingly Sydney have played just 26 players this season.

For people looking for trends, Geelong played 35 players across the entire season in ‘22 (Sydney 36) and Collingwood played 37 last year (though 6 only played the 1 game) (Brisbane 35).

I suspect the key is to bat deep enough (and mange rest and exposure to games) without having to bat too deep and becoming unpredictable to each other. It’s a fine line.

Since we're back on the discussion of disposal numbers (really not sure why), I decided to check out how we fared in that regard back in 2022 & this "magical" figure of 30 disposals in a match

Out of our 25 matches in 2022, in only 10 of those matches did we have a player or players finish with 30 or more disposals:

Round 1 vs Essendon (MCG): Parfitt - 32, Dangerfield - 31. W
Round 6 vs North (Blundstone: Tuohy - 32. W
Round 7 vs Fremantle (KP): Stewart - 40, C. Guthrie 35. L
Round 8 vs GWS (Manuka): Duncan - 33. W
Round 10 vs Port (KP): Guthrie - 38. W
Round 11 vs Adelaide (KP): Stewart - 40, C. Guthrie 35, Parfitt - 35. W,
Round 16 vs North (KP): Duncan - 30, Cameron - 30. W
Round 17 vs Melbourne (KP): Duncan - 32, Dangerfield - 31. W
Round 22 vs Gold Coast (GC): C. Guthrie - 30. W
Grand Final vs Swans (MCG): Smith - 32. W

And the number of matches in which our opponents had at least 1 player reach 30+ disposals during 2022 - that was 14

The number of those 14 matches we lost - 1, versus St Kilda in round 9. And just for fun, 9 of 14 matches were from round 10 onwards when we went on our 16 game game winning streak

Maybe a player or players reaching 30 disposals in a game, really isn't that magical or the secret to winning...

Edit - here's the list of teams & players to have 30+ disposals on us in 2022:
Round 1 vs Essendon (MCG): Merrett - 39, Parish - 34
Round 3 vs Collingwood (MCG): Adams - 30
Round 4 vs Brisbane (KP): Neale - 30
Round 5 vs Hawthorn (MCG): Mitchell - 33, Newcombe - 31
Round 9 vs St Kilda (Marvel): Crouch - 36, Sinclair - 31, Gresham - 30
Round 10 vs Port (KP): Houston - 30
Round 11 vs Adelaide (KP): Laird - 38
Round 12 vs Bulldogs (Marvel): Macrae - 31, Dale - 31, Liberatore - 30, Daniel - 30
Round 16 vs North (KP): LDU - 35
Round 17 vs Melbourne (KP): Viney - 35, Oliver - 34
Round 18 vs Carlton (MCG): Walsh - 33
Round 22 vs Gold Coast (GC): Miller - 36, Ellis - 32
Round 23 vs WCE (KP): Hurn - 32
QF vs Collingwood (MCG): Pendlebury - 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Back