Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we might need to move Holmes back in to the midfield and maybe bring in Humphries to replace him. Would also be keen to throw Mullin in to the midfield, he seems to look more elite and fast now he's cut his hair for some reason. He's also tackling really well.

Mullin has been an absolute revelation the past two weeks. Seems to unlock a new facet to his game every time I see him.

Kicking has improved a ton, and he is hard at it for a little guy. Looked sharp last night, playing without fear.

Mullin has been an absolute revelation the past two weeks. Seems to unlock a new facet to his game every time I see him.

Kicking has improved a ton, and he is hard at it for a little guy. Looked sharp last night, playing without fear.
He is looking great with ball in hand now. We are seeing the burst of pace and penetrating kicks that don't sit in the air for 5 seconds.

Pump games into him because if he can become a 20+ disposal a game player (half back/wing/midfield - who cares) rather than 11-13, we have someone with jet potential.

"a few dodgy calls" - Anyone who watched that game closely as I did would be staggered by your summation. The umpiring hurt Geelong, especially early in the game when Cats players were having a crack. I noted 4 GC HTBs ignored by one umpire and 2 illegal disposals, one throw, one flick pass, in the first quarter alone. And multiple of those 9 free kicks (GC) to 1 (Geelong) were for the slightest holding and tough but legal tackles. Geelong was punished by the umpiring for no obvious reason.
Sometime in the third I wondered how I would go playing on with all the dodgy calls. Very disheartening

Considering the majority of Cats had an off night
Even reliable consistent Cats had a night to forget.
Cats players didn't just lose their ability suddenly.
While very ordinary Suns played like superstars.
Can't simply be coincidence, has to be a reason.
Everyone seems quick to blame the midfielders
Sure there was a notable difference in class.
It didn't account for the un-competitiveness.
While every Cat seemed to be working hard.
Suns seemed to be doing it all effortlessly.
It's easy to underestimate the effects of:-
A 5 day turnaround following a hard game.
Consequences of travel, a lousy night's sleep.
Combination of 30C heat with 70% humidity.
A good first quarter is all Cats had to offer.
Half way through Q2 Cats hit the fatigue wall.
AFL football is a highly competitive game.
Only takes a 10% drop to look uncompetitive.
TV commentators said it was uncharacteristic.
Our disappointment is total understandable.
Our condemnation is somewhat unwarranted​
You forgot the extra 4 players they had in the first half

Can we all please agree that there is no meaningful analysis or conclusions that can be gleaned from that game. Please remember the following:

• the team was significantly depleted with a number of players being asked to fill a prominent role that they had not done previously.
  • the conditions were outrageously favourable to one team (ie not Geelong) and you could see how foreign it was by their inability to handle and mark the football
  • the location had a country football atmosphere which was unlike anything Geelong ever play in. GC play in this type of atmosphere every second week.
  • the umpiring was some of the most one sided that I have ever seen.

Given the conditions above, we were NEVER winning that game. The loss to port was far more disappointing.

It was not instructive at all. Annoying yes, instructive no.

It is actually pretty scandalous that the AFL thinks it is a good idea to play any meaningful games in those conditions, and is example number 987,435 that the AFL has no interest in fixture integrity.
This.. and now the AFl is effectively giving GCS 2 home grounds. Incredible. Commentators- "its a Fortress!" [by design] And guaranteed Collingwood will never play there. The AFL is the most Rigged pro sport in the world by "fix"ture.

Neale has taken 4 and 5 marks this year so not great.

Hawkins averages 2.6.
So what's your point?

Hawkins: 21 marks in 8 games is 2.6 marks per game.
Shannon Neale: 5 marks in 2 games is 2.5 marks per game.
So Neale takes essentially the same number of marks per game as Hawkins.

Therefore: Neale = Hawkins = "not so great"

The Blues are being spanked by Sydney. The Swans will be 2 games clear with a percentage over 150. Their midfield is taking apart Carlton's highly rated midfield. Grundy is dominating Pittonet in the ruck, 28 hitouts to 13. Funny when you think Pittonet dominates lesser ruckmen like Stanley.

The Blues are being spanked by Sydney. The Swans will be 2 games clear with a percentage over 150. Their midfield is taking apart Carlton's highly rated midfield. Grundy is dominating Pittonet in the ruck, 28 hitouts to 13. Funny when you think Pittonet dominates lesser ruckmen like Stanley.
I honestly can't tell if I like or loathe that everytime we play like shit, the next day we find out the competition is pretty shit too.

Everytime as a supporter you want to accept our situation and check out, the state of the rubbish competition reels you back in the very next day.

Make up your minds you bastards!!

He is coming on brilliantly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I wouldn’t give for Warner in the side atm let alone Hennely
They're making the Blues midfield look like ours.

We should take a bit of inspiration from them tbh.

We're a better side than they were, but in a similar position list wise as they were in 18/19.

A quality cohort of youth, some veterans on their last legs needing to be phased out, and barely anything in the middle.

At that point, they had:

• Mills
  • Heeney
  • Blakey
  • Papley
  • McCartin
  • Rowbottom
  • Hayward
  • Florent
  • McInerney
  • Amartey

We've got:

• Holmes
  • Bruhn
  • Stengle
  • Miers
  • Clark
  • O'Sullivan
  • SDK
  • Conway
  • Dempsey
  • Henry
  • Neale

Easier said than done (and an academy bloody helps) but we just have to find our Warner, Gulden, & McDonald like they did.

So what's your point?

Hawkins: 21 marks in 8 games is 2.6 marks per game.
Shannon Neale: 5 marks in 2 games is 2.5 marks per game.
So Neale takes essentially the same number of marks per game as Hawkins.

Therefore: Neale = Hawkins = "not so great"
Err no, Neale has taken 9 so average 4.5. It's not great but it's better

They're making the Blues midfield look like ours.

We should take a bit of inspiration from them tbh.

We're a better side than they were, but in a similar position list wise as they were in 18/19.

A quality cohort of youth, some veterans on their last legs needing to be phased out, and barely anything in the middle.

At that point, they had:

• Mills
  • Heeney
  • Blakey
  • Papley
  • McCartin
  • Rowbottom
  • Hayward
  • Florent
  • McInerney
  • Amartey

We've got:

• Holmes
  • Bruhn
  • Stengle
  • Miers
  • Clark
  • O'Sullivan
  • SDK
  • Conway
  • Dempsey
  • Henry
  • Neale

Easier said than done (and an academy bloody helps) but we just have to find our Warner, Gulden, & McDonald like they did.
Neale will be our McDonald, whatever Geelongs plans for the offseason are they MUST include 2 A Grade or 1 elite and 1 B grade midfield, because right now thats the part of the field costing us a chance in finals. Especially when the heat turns up and contested ball and spread from the congestion is worth its weight in gold.

Easier said than done, I know, but thats the clear area of weakness in the team, it was last year and it is this year.

Neale will be our McDonald, whatever Geelongs plans for the offseason are they MUST include 2 A Grade or 1 elite and 1 B grade midfield, because right now thats the part of the field costing us a chance in finals. Especially when the heat turns up and contested ball and spread from the congestion is worth its weight in gold.

Easier said than done, I know, but thats the clear area of weakness in the team, it was last year and it is this year.
We're on the same page, but you've summed it up well. Easier said than done.

Let's look through the options....

LDU - Pre-agent, would cost us the chance to get that second mid you mention.

Smith - Contracted, same story.

McCluggage - Free-agent...BUT Brisbane have said they'll match, and I doubt he leaves anyway.

And it must be said, is a combination of any of these guys worth doing a Richmond and trading out of two drafts? Particularly right before Tassie arrive?

I could be convinced, but I don't see it personally. They're good players, don't get me wrong and we could certainly use them. They're not that good, though.

Personally, in a midfield heavy draft I'd almost prefer just doubling down on that and getting another pick in the first round.

Suck a club into thinking we'll really slide next year, and go from there.

Try to find our Warner/Gulden in that mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back