Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t remember the last time we conceded such a high score. In the game where Sydney smashed us by 110 points in 2014, they only scored 148. We’d probably have to go back 20+ years to find our last time conceding 164+ points?
Heat makes for exhaustion, which makes for a high scoring game.

Objectively (and I say that with full meaning) this has got to be one of the most one sided umpiring games I have ever seen. And that is saying something.

If Scott and K Cornes (who has been hard on this) do not go the AFL, well i will become a more passive watcher of the game. With all the ****ing unimportant BS promotions/weeks etc (without specifying, and BTW my best mate is gay and I have worked in remote aboriginal communities - I ****ing get it) it is all becoming a bit too much.

You throw into that mix - "BT" "Darce" Brayshaw et al and it really is getting more unwatchable

Having said that. Go Cats, lots of endeavour tonight, we were just done.

Last edited:
I am sorry, I don’t like to overreact, and Scott pulled some great tricks early in the season to cover it, but our midfield is simply not up to it.

We are going to struggle to play finals let alone compete in September.

They are absolutely dire.

Thank heavens they moved Holmes in there in second half who is a class above the rest.

Let’s be honest, the cats have the weakest midfield in the league. Having Dangerfield back certainly improves it significantly, but we also need to get Guthrie back to his best. Only then will they be able to compete.

Conway was injured last week.

He has some potential but is a long way off it. He was a big part of the problem with his ruck positioning tonight.

Very inexperienced. Going to take a while.
We need Kingy and Ottens to really develop him quick.

Let’s be honest, the cats have the weakest midfield in the league. Having Dangerfield back certainly improves it significantly, but we also need to get Guthrie back to his best. Only then will they be able to compete.
Yeah, exactly. It isn't going to be able to be fixed overnight, and we all saw that dropoff coming, but there are a few green shoots there.

Lots of papering over cracks in the first 7 rounds, managed to find a way to win despite being outplayed but now being found out as a pretender when the going gets tough, our senior core of Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs, Guthrie and Hawkins are all finished, they are becoming a hinderance rather than helping, keeping guys like Mannagh and Hardie out of the team is pointless, get them in and let them shine, we have a great group of kids coming through but they are being put under too much pressure due to these older blokes not performing, even Stewart has been ordinary since coming back from concussion but i can look past that.

I have to put Bruhn on notice too, too many times he starts well and fades into obscurity, tonight was one of his worst games of the year, needs to work on consistency, want to see him in the hoops for the next 10 years.

Oh and thank **** for Holmes signing on before this form slump, he’s our best player by far and without him we would have lost by 20 goals.

Biggest bright spots were Mullin and Conway. Mullin is playing like a legit midfielder now, finding his way to the footy and importantly not kicking so up and under Gaelic footy style like he used to. Conway's got a bit of crash and bash in the ruck, which I like.

Biggest bright spot for me was Holmes , last qtr in particular playing in the centre , physically he is a big unit now and a top notch player

Geel were undermanned and i thought alot of Geel players tried quite hard , in that last qtr Stewart got thrown over the boundary line on his back , no free kick and he just laughed thats how poor the umpiring was . Rohan got burried into the ground no free kick

Suns did play very well and their sure/strong marking was impressive , but they have done this before looked a million bucks but they dont go on with it

I realize there is a theory that Geelong doesn't worry about losing the midfield battle but for it's worth...

Midfield Disposals:

Gold Coast Suns: 177
Anderson 41
Flanders 37
Rowell 35
Miller 32
Sexton 32

Geelong: 115
Holmes 32
Bowes 21
Parfitt 20
Atkins 17
Bruhn 11
Cuthrie 9
Clark 5

Was brought back into the team far too early. Coaching staff got that one wrong. Would have been better off having a look at Mannagh and Hardie

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is what it is, disappointing loss but move on. The team is still transitioning and contending. It’s not good conceding two 8 goal quarters in two weeks (plus a 7 goal quarter), so I can’t see us winning a flag playing like that.

But look, Gold Coast play well up there and their team is stacked with not just top 10 draft picks but top 5 draft picks and academy players. They should be dominating the competition

A few skill errors were really costly when we were in the game.
After carrying the team for so long the older more established guys are the ones letting us down at the moment. Stewart has not been the same since the concussion.

Young guys look good, Oisin some nice signs again, Holmes, Dempsey, Stengle, Conway, Miers - you feel like something will happen when it’s in their hands. Neale is a work in progress, really needs to learn how to stick those marks.

Would kill for a Harley Reid or a JHF.

cats_09 we often talk about interstate games we’re going too

I was planning on going to this game but the Thursday night through me off
What a shame

I was also looking at going to this game and was trying to work out how to maximize my time if I did go, such as flying on to another destination afterwards like Singapore ($300 from Darwin seemed a good price), but opted against it

After tonight I'm quite happy to have watched from home

I realize there is a theory that Geelong doesn't worry about losing the midfield battle but for it's worth...

Midfield Disposals:

Gold Coast Suns: 177
Anderson 41
Flanders 37
Rowell 35
Miller 32
Sexton 32

Geelong: 110
Holmes 32
Bowes 21
Parfitt 20
Atkins 17
Bruhn 11
Cuthrie 9
Atkins should be dropped after some of his efforts tonight, was jogging most of the match.

So the only positive for me (I am working hard to find some!!) was that our leaders here are the young guys who have been building. Holmes is now putting a case to be our best player (ok. So except for Jezza!!). Miers probably is our best player. I would love to see them both play more through the middle. We need more dynamic play through centre bounce

Dempsey is really building. Didn’t hurt as much with possessions but keeps getting into the right postion. Geelongs leader nearly every week for sprint efforts (most on the ground for both teams tonight) and KMs at high speed (second most on ground).

Conway was huge in my view. Understand it wasn’t against a top ruckman but we need to stick with Toby

I think we can ultimately only have one or two of Atkins/Bruhn/Parfitt/Bowes going through the midfield. I am not unhappy with Atkins playing behind the ball. Parfait can look ok but doesn’t give first option which hurts out overlap. Bruhn looked like he needed another week off?

Was really disappointed with Rohan. He needed to lead tonight given forward line and did 2 or 3 nice things but that is not enough. We already have a forward like that who is much younger and more efficient.

2E looks good going forward but really hurts us defensively IMO.

Guthrie just looks like he is a long way back - hoping that he gets back to his best. We can’t afford a liability in the MF.

1715862850786.png

I've been at a work function so no idea of what happened but it's hardly surprising

Told everyone who would listen to get on GC at $6.25 before our Port game $$$

Absolutely they won’t. I will be ok not to see Neale again for a fair while to be honest.
He just kicked more goals that game than Hawkins has collectively in his 5 games since since Easter Monday. In putrid conditions. With terrible delivery.

INeale is a work in progress, really needs to learn how to stick those marks.
Virtually none of the Geelong forwards could stick marks. They were very sweaty conditions, and Geelong players aren't used to them.

He got his hands to the ball, and in other conditions would have held them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back