Preview Cats V North Sun April 14 1pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to be careful not to play too many funny buggers at selection.

If someone's genuinely sore or needs a rest, fine. If we want to get a look at someone specifically, fine.

But if it's getting a bit of a "North are a soft kill so lets just play our B team" type mentality, that's guaranteed to bite us on the backside.

Chris Scott said in the press conference "we're going to play Conway a lot".

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Conway as effectively the number 1 with Stanley coming in when he needs to be managed rather than the other way around for a while.

I'd be stunned if Conway doesn't play this week.

I feel like him saying that is rang just trying to make people comfortable with him not coming in.

I'm not entirely against it but Stanley killed it against the dogs. Happy no matter who plays really but it has to be ruck for a ruck I think.

If it's Hawkins out then I'd want Neale

This might raise some eyebrows but we are all expecting Neale to come in if Hawkins has a spell but Scott has form in not being predictable how about this SDK at full forward and both Stanley and Conway play Touhy the other out for O'Conner.

Doesn’t make sense imo. SDK will play on Larkey. And if anyone would swing forward it’s J Henry. But in saying all that the logical thing is just to play Neale if Hawk misses

What we should obviously do is play the same 24-25 guys every game running them into the ground to have a little more % and have them be completely out of steam come September ala 2016-21:rolleyes:

It is amazing that after we started resting players more and not just when injured we won a flag why wouldn't you want to do the same thing again.

The absolute best chance we have of winning the flag this year is if we have close to a fully fit list that is ready to go come September if that requires resting players and holding back some a week or 2 that are coming back from injury so be it.

22 we rested multiple players, some multiple times(Selwood) held back players coming back from injury to make sure they were 110% (Danger)
Resting/managing players in one thing. Don't agree with it being Hawkins.
Let him and Jeremy feast on a poor North defence.

I feel like him saying that is rang just trying to make people comfortable with him not coming in.

I'm not entirely against it but Stanley killed it against the dogs. Happy no matter who plays really but it has to be ruck for a ruck I think.

If it's Hawkins out then I'd want Neale
There has been murmurings that Scott adores Conway though, and has since day 1.

If he hasn't had the issues with his body he'd have 20-30 games to his name by now IMO.

We'll play him a lot, but I suspect it's still Stanley's job against the more seasoned opponents/finals.

There has been murmurings that Scott adores Conway though, and has since day 1.

If he hasn't had the issues with his body he'd have 20-30 games to his name by now IMO.

We'll play him a lot, but I suspect it's still Stanley's job against the more seasoned opponents/finals.
Yeah, but he does have the issues with his body. If he needs be actively managed then Scotty will do that

Yeah, but he does have the issues with his body. If he needs be actively managed then Scotty will do that
Actively managed might mean Conway plays 3 in 4 weeks from here for most of the season. I'd be very surprised if he wants Conway to play "a lot" and he doesn't get at least 10 games for the year.

And to be honest if we don't think there's much difference between Stanley and Conway then I hope we play Conway as long as he is fit and ready to go. The chance that it costs us a game is extremely low and there's some chance by the end of the year Conway goes past Stanley. And if not I don't think Stanley will be worse off for not playing much in the regular season. A few weeks to sharpen up before finals will be fine.

Actively managed might mean Conway plays 3 in 4 weeks from here for most of the season. I'd be very surprised if he wants Conway to play "a lot" and he doesn't get at least 10 games for the year.

And to be honest if we don't think there's much difference between Stanley and Conway then I hope we play Conway as long as he is fit and ready to go. The chance that it costs us a game is extremely low and there's some chance by the end of the year Conway goes past Stanley. And if not I don't think Stanley will be worse off for not playing much in the regular season. A few weeks to sharpen up before finals will be fine.
I think Conway faded and spent some significant minutes on the pine. I think Stanley is the right choice against the dangerous rucks.

I think Conway faded and spent some significant minutes on the pine. I think Stanley is the right choice against the dangerous rucks.
Define dangerous rucks?? I feel like if we have to take the approach with Conway that he isn’t up to taking on the top rucks then he may just not be at the grade yet then. You would want to bring him in and back him against any ruck to compete.

I think seeing Lloyd meek destroy him in hitouts has dampened a few immediate expectations. He obviously needs to get stronger over the next offseason

Define dangerous rucks?? I feel like if we have to take the approach with Conway that he isn’t up to taking on the top rucks then he may just not be at the grade yet then. You would want to bring him in and back him against any ruck to compete.

I think seeing Lloyd meek destroy him in hitouts has dampened a few immediate expectations. He obviously needs to get stronger over the next offseason
Think he just means if we're playing Melbourne & Gawn going in with Toby would be negligent.

Two things can be true. He's an ultra promising prospect who needs games...but he also shouldn't be playing against the absolute elite ruckman of the comp if we're serious about winning games. Particularly those with elite endurance.

Curious why folks are wanting Hawkins to be rested this week. If anything, North are the ideal team to get a key forward back into form against. Here's how key forwards have fared against North this season:

Round 1 - Jesse Hogan 6, Jake Riccardi 3
Round 2 - Luke Jackson 2, Taberner 2, Amiss 1.3
Round 3 - McKay 5, Curnow 4
Round 4 - Daniher 5, Hipwood 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's 20 years old playing ruck. It would be young for him to be winning against the best rucks even without the injury history

Curious why folks are wanting Hawkins to be rested this week. If anything, North are the ideal team to get a key forward back into form against. Here's how key forwards have fared against North this season:

I just see it more of an opportunity to know what we've got with Neale while leaving Hawkins with something in the tank later in the season.

I was not alive and did not know this
He played for Geelong for one year too! 1975

Here is his famous mark in the 1978 GF. Kicked 6 goals in that GF too, which North lost.

Attachments

• Snake Baker.jpg
    Snake Baker.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 30
He's 20 years old playing ruck. It would be young for him to be winning against the best rucks even without the injury history

Yep, Gawn was about 23 I reckon when he played his big breakout game in Enright’s 300th. That was the age he really emerged. He also had injury issues early.

Yep, Gawn was about 23 I reckon when he played his big breakout game in Enright’s 300th. That was the age he really emerged. He also had injury issues early.
Hoo boy... bad memories. I was there.

About halfway through I recognised I was seeing a pretty special performance, though. The bloke just marked everything in sight.

Its not about 'playing him into form'. Was excellent against hawks and crows. Just needs a rest and better now considering the tough stretch coming up where he will have to play every game fitness pending.

I don't actually think Hawkins is out of form though he was just buggered from the 350 lead up 5 day break after a wet slog and delay combined with age it obviously took a toll on him as he was very lethargic.

Before the weekend he was averaging 3 goals a game doesn't scream out of form to me. Just because he was held goalless in 1 game.

I don't actually think Hawkins is out of form though he was just buggered from the 350 lead up 5 day break after a wet slog and delay combined with age it obviously took a toll on him as he was very lethargic.

Before the weekend he was averaging 3 goals a game doesn't scream out of form to me. Just because he was held goalless in 1 game.

It's already been reported that last week following game 350 that Hawkins didn't return to the club until Thursday

Then factoring in the trip to Adelaide, though I'm not sure if the team flew out Thursday night or Friday morning, but with a 3pm open training in Adelaide, it was likely earlier than later - so not sure Tom had the best preparation last week to be playing off a 5-day and it seemed noticeable as the match went on

It's already been reported that last week following game 350 that Hawkins didn't return to the club until Thursday

Then factoring in the trip to Adelaide, though I'm not sure if the team flew out Thursday night or Friday morning, but with a 3pm open training in Adelaide, it was likely earlier than later - so not sure Tom had the best preparation last week to be playing off a 5-day and it seemed noticeable as the match went on
In hindsight it probably would have been a good game to rest him and give Neale a go but i know Hawkins hates missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back