2nds Centrals vs Port Adelaide - Elimination Final @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that confuses me about our sanfl team is a bunch of afl listed players constantly get overrun in the last quarter against a bunch of amateurs. How can centrals be fitter than us, it’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Mead played the last half as a goal square forward and Lycetts rotations were significantly limited. Given the unfamiliar heat it wasn't a huge surprise.

Part of the Inner Sanctum experience.
Ahh yes, the inner sanctum day where Keith Thomas told us history and tradition doesn't mean anything and co-captains will bring us glory.

That was certainly a gentleman doing a #2.

I still disagree, we need to control this shitpot league, get back our ressies, get back our zones and keep wearing the PB's as we won't be in an AFL ressies comp.

But I accept I'm in the minority on this thinking.
We should never have kept an SANFL presence, it was the biggest mistake our club made. Wearing the PBs is not worth it. Losing the PBs to move into the AFL and remain relevant is a price I'd pay 1000x over without a second thought. Time to move on from the SANFL as we always should have done.

We should never have kept an SANFL presence, it was the biggest mistake our club made. Wearing the PBs is not worth it. Losing the PBs to move into the AFL and remain relevant is a price I'd pay 1000x over without a second thought. Time to move on from the SANFL as we always should have done.
Well I guess all I can say is I hope you are right, as its probably inevitable.
Apologies for the thread hijack.

Last edited:
Mead played the last half as a goal square forward and Lycetts rotations were significantly limited. Given the unfamiliar heat it wasn't a huge surprise.

Why on earth was mead being managed? Surely he is no chance for selection next weekend?

And it clearly wasn’t working as a goal square forward, giving away a couple holding free kicks that should’ve been goals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I understand the frustraion with the SANFL but we cannot move out of the SANFL until we have somewhere viable to go. The Current AFL/VFL has too many sides in it and we would not fit. In any case how do we know we would not be swapping the devil we know for something far worse? The only real alternative is a legitimate 19 team AFL Reserves competition played as a curtain raisers to the AFL. That way we have one master. A 19 team AFL Reserves would also be more cost efficient as the AFL/PAFC would fly one party around the countryside. There are 21 teams in the current VFL and one week we could be playing Brisbane Reserves and the next Southport.

The problem is the AFL have prioritised the AFLW and a team out of Tasmania and are too preoccupied to worry about a Reserves competition.

He kicked goals. I didn’t see him doing much chasing or pressuring though. Still, I’d take his goal kicking potential over McEntee’s air tackling potential in the QF at the GABBA.
He was chasing, but it wasn't the same 'filled with intent' chasing of some of our other small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the hell is going on with the Magpies but something isn't right. Fitness is bad, gameplan is bad, endeavour and aggression is bad.

Not sure what the Crows are doing at the moment, but whatever they are doing we should be looking to emulate. First step is getting a half decent coach.

Good

Thought Mead, Bonner, Fantasia and Lycett were really the only AFL listed players who were good. And it's reasonably likely none of them will be on the list next year... Thought Mead in particular was exceptional until he was taken out of the game.

Hagan was also good. Everyone else was complete garbage.

Bad

Early days with Scully, but slightly concerned he has zero aggression in his game at all. Very much a one effort player and that is it. He is also might be the most unfit player I have ever seen on our list. I reckon he would genuinely struggle to finish a 3k time trial.

This is the type of game that really exemplifies why I don't think Burgoyne is an AFL footballer. Had 20 touches but I would say 90% of them were not damaging. Lots of long high kicks to packs, lots of sideways kicks and a s**t tonne of shanks. He will go on to have a reasonable SANFL career but doesn't have AFL traits. Some very lazy defensive errors as well.

Pasini and Teakle are both terrible. Well below the grade even in SANFL. Pasini just has no defensive intensity or awareness at all, constantly gets caught ball watching. And Teakle... well he can't really do anything well.

McCallum, Marshall, Jackson all had some good moments and some terrible moments. Hopefully they get better with experience. Jackson seemed to run out of puff in the back end of the season. McCallum and definitely Marshall are not up to the grade and are both prone to absolute bomb scare moments which I'm not totally sure will be fixed over time.

Dumont has had a nothing year, almost like he was told his time was up before round one and he was getting delisted. Narkle had a nothing game, maybe he has also been told he is being delisted.

Will be very happy to the back of Sutcliffe and most of the top-ups, but especially Sutcliffe.
We honestly shouldn't be trying to emulate the Crows.

The likes of Hately, Crouch, Brown, Himmelberg, Scholl, Strachan and Keane are never going to win you AFL games.

They are there to prop up the SANFL team and provide "pressure for spots" but the reality is they are just clogging the list and making it harder for them to find the AFL players they need.

I would much rather have the likes of Marshall, Scully, MaCullum and Visintini developing in the SANFL than clog our list with players like that.

That's not to say we should expect these young guys to play to win, just that sometimes they will get beaten by experiences AFL and ex AFL guys and that's OK.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We honestly shouldn't be trying to emulate the Crows.

The likes of Hately, Crouch, Brown, Himmelberg, Scholl, Strachan and Keane are never going to win you AFL games.

They are there to prop up the SANFL team and provide "pressure for spots" but the reality is they are just clogging the mist and making it harder for them to find the AFL players they need.

I would much rather have the likes of Marshall, Scully, MaCullum and Visintini developing in the SANFL than clog our list with players like that.

That's not to say we should expect these young guys to play to win, just that sometimes they will get beaten by experiences AFL and ex AFL guys and that's OK.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The problem is we have our own Hately, Crouch, Himmelberg etc. in the form of Dumont, Mead, Narkle, Hayes, Fantasia, Bonner, Teakle, Jonas at times

I'm not sure what the average ages of our two sides are in terms of AFL listed players. We are probably a bit behind, but I don't think it is that far. Not to the extent that we should be losing games against a bog average central districts side.

It's also a function of being a destination club that has recruited a lot of players recently. Under ordinary circumstances the good draft picks we instead used to trade for Aliir, JHF, Rioli etc would be twenty year olds coming into their own in the SANFL right about now rather than locks in the AFL side.

Just to highlight our complete inability to overrun sides, the Cows were trailing Sturt at every break by 4 or 5 goals they then kick the first 5 goals of the last quarter to win the game, where the * is our fitness structure intensity etc?
(Last week Centrals kicked 8 goals in the last quarter to overrun us still we don’t learn)
Yeh it's actually disgusting & nobody except us are asking these questions. It's so typical PA under Ken. There were players that looked exhausted early in the game. Marshall was gone very early, Scully not much later. The lack of run in the second half last week & Q4 this week is a disgrace. The lack of desire to win is also a disgrace. I never thought we would win that game. The average Port supporter would have no idea about these issues in our Reserves which is disappointing.

The problem is we have our own Hately, Crouch, Himmelberg etc. in the form of Dumont, Mead, Narkle, Hayes, Fantasia, Bonner, Teakle, Jonas at times

I'm not sure what the average ages of our two sides are in terms of AFL listed players. We are probably a bit behind, but I don't think it is that far. Not to the extent that we should be losing games against a bog average central districts side.
It was a team (Centrals) vs a bunch playing as individuals. We were never going to win that game. Until the football department decide to make the Magpies as a serious entity it will continue as is. The Crom do it well, they target top end players from other leagues and offer them a pathway and make them feel inclusive. Port dont......fact!

It was a team (Centrals) vs a bunch playing as individuals. We were never going to win that game. Until the football department decide to make the Magpies as a serious entity it will continue as is. The Crom do it well, they target top end players from other leagues and offer them a pathway and make them feel inclusive. Port dont......fact!
First line sums up exactly what I've observed every time I watch the Maggies play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back