Politics Centrelink

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
It is, and most other OECD nations including some of the famous Nordic countries.

One of the ideas behind it is that it would cushion the shock of going from working to living off Centrelink, and the six-month cliff would provide an incentive to find some sort of work before your rate drops dramatically. Does that help people who can't find stable suitable work or who employers don't seem to want (people over 55 for example)? Nope.
My concern is the idea that the employer pays and the super component is scrapped

It feels like the government wants to move away from funding this idea

As to your last point it doesn't affect long term unemployed as there shouldn't be a "bill shock" component

It does put working over 55s in a "take this pay cut or else" position

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
My concern is the idea that the employer pays and the super component is scrapped

It feels like the government wants to move away from funding this idea

As to your last point it doesn't affect long term unemployed as there shouldn't be a "bill shock" component

It does put working over 55s in a "take this pay cut or else" position
The Coalition doesn't like funding anything to do with helping the unemployed or poor. Puritan American ideology that a person of working age needs to support himself or herself, and that inability to support yourself results from your own choices which you can quickly reverse. It's fantasy, but Cabinet is full of blue-bloods - the kind that bang on about 'I've never once asked for handouts, always worked hard, blah blah'

***some***

***some***

***some***

Some campaigners drink and drive.

Some campaigners get high and drive.

Let's have a trial where we take away the car keys from everyone and give them taxi vouchers instead. You can't take an uber, or your local independent taxi driver, because we have a contract with only these specific taxi companies. What's that? It costs three times as much? Not our problem, look, the drink drive and drug driving has dropped by a few percent in our cherry picked data. It's working! What's that? You have to wait an hour for an ABC taxi to come from the next town over, instead of your bloke around the corner? Sorry, there's always edge cases. This is why we trial this. The trial has been going on long enough? No, no, we're waiting for the figures to come out on our side before we make it permanent. In the meantime our mates who own the contracted taxi companies are doing fine.

***some***

You're really happy to stigmatise, penalise and put the boot in to an awful lot of people to justify your ***some***.

The point is, people are being FORCED to buy NEW items, online or not, instead of far more affordable alternatives. Or from approved supermarkets/retailers at full price instead of local markets / roadside stalls etc. And yet it's their fault if they cannot budget or make ends meet.

What do you think should happen?
Shall we ignore the "some".
No child shall live in poverty .....except "some". That's what old Bob should have said.
Every Australian shall have the right to starve their children so they can play pokies.
Or maybe those Australians should have their children placed in better hands.....ooops best not go there.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
And of course the old favourite - "i HaVeNt HaD a SiCk DaY iN tHiRdY fOoOuR yEeEeArS!" 🤤

Clowns like this fall into three categories:

1) They're the old farts who crap on about how they always managed to secure work, not realising that times have changed.

2) They're the younger types who talk tough about how they could do any work if they had to, and chide others for being too snobby and arrogant to do so, but when it comes time to walk the walk they mysteriously aren't to be found.

3) They're the younger types who think that menial job providers are like charities, wherein they'll take on any unemployed person no matter what they've been doing before.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Then there's the - "mate, I know me sh*t, I been in this gig for thirty five 'ken years!"
Reality - knows jack sh*t...**** on bull :tearsofjoy:
I never lived in this time, but I've heard some stories about a time when a person could walk into a business in Australia, ask for an entry-level job, and then spend thirty plus years there working their way up.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I never lived in this time, but I've heard some stories about a time when a person could walk into a business in Australia, ask for an entry-level job, and then spend thirty plus years there working their way up.

In the early 1970's, my father started out his career in Warwick (a town in SE Qld, around 150 km southwest of Brisbane) as a bank teller, and managed to become a fairly high-ranking bank manager within around 10 years.

Even in the late 1980's and early 1990's, he was earning good money (100k+) and was untouched by the early 1990's recession.

Good luck doing that nowadays. Many of the jobs in regional areas were linked to the local bank in some way, shape or form, and many (most?) of those have gone due to automation, offshoring and rationalisations.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
From the "well, duhh" file:

I remember MacroBusiness speculating that JobMaker would do precisely this six months ago.

It's one of those ideas that seems reasonable enough on paper but in practice would be difficult to apply properly because it's too easy to rort as is.

I remember MacroBusiness speculating that JobMaker would do precisely this six months ago.

It's one of those ideas that seems reasonable enough on paper but in practice would be difficult to apply properly because it's too easy to rort as is.
As long as the LNP can use it to funnel money to donors, it’s allllll good.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Drum roll please ... the Jobseeker Payment will permanently rise by $25 per week.

What an utterly disgraceful decision. This was deliberately designed to tick a box and say that 'look at us, we listened' while the actual increase is so small as to be meaningless. Twenty five bucks will pay for a few more meals or a bit of fuel, but it is almost nothing in the broader context.

******* disgusting campaigners. No care for the Australian people whatsoever.

And they're ramping up the 'mutual obligation' bullshit, which will no doubt offset the rise by having more people fall foul of the system and get their benefits cut. But of course these millions of jobs that dole bludgers turn down a year will now get filled :rolleyes:

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Drum roll please ... the Jobseeker Payment will permanently rise by $25 per week.

What an utterly disgraceful decision. This was deliberately designed to tick a box and say that 'look at us, we listened' while the actual increase is so small as to be meaningless. Twenty five bucks will pay for a few more meals or a bit of fuel, but it is almost nothing in the broader context.

******* disgusting campaigners. No care for the Australian people whatsoever.

It was a fine exercise in tokenism.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
All $25 a week shows is "we've listened to people and we get there's a problem - we just don't care."

Either fix or don't. But don't expect a pat on the back for telling people that you don't value them.

$290 a week the Social Services Minister will get as an allowance for staying in Canberra tonight, even if she stays with a friend, in her own house, or in a backpackers.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Gives them a headline ...but we are raising it $50 a fortnight as they cut $150 a fortnight

Everyone was saying it needs to increase at least $50 a week so they halved it for spite and to harvest the dole bludger wedge vote

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And they're ramping up the 'mutual obligation' bullshit, which will no doubt offset the rise by having more people fall foul of the system and get their benefits cut. But of course these millions of jobs that dole bludgers turn down a year will now get filled :rolleyes:

I'm sure organisations can't wait to be flooded with 1000's of useless applications.

This is going to make everyones jobs harder, except for the government.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gives them a headline ...but we are raising it $50 a fortnight as they cut $150 a fortnight

Everyone was saying it needs to increase at least $50 a week so they halved it for spite and to harvest the dole bludger wedge vote

If you're unemployed, or a recently employed person after spending time unemployed you would be out of your brain to vote for the libs. But sure enough, a vast portion do.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're unemployed, or a recently employed person after spending time unemployed you would be out of your brain to vote for the libs. But sure enough, a vast portion do.
Too many ******* idiots fooled by that spectacled goose saying 'yada yada yada, Bill's gunna have higha taxes and take away ya utes!'

If you have any kind of social conscience, any concept of the fair go, or know anyone who is struggling to find work ... don't vote for the Coalition please.

Back