Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamish was awful last night. Just reading off banal stats all game long. It’s literally all he does!!!
Then after the game, when the biggest story of the day was raised by Mitch Cleary in the newsroom (the Hawks & Rioli story) and the camera panned back to the 4 of them were standing there in the rooms after the game, Hamish intervened to cut off any discussion on it by the others. What a limp dick piece of s**t. 😡😡😡

Didn’t Jason call Thursday
Did he? I’m pretty sure it was Hamish 🤮🤮
Edit - yes maybe you are correct I was thinking of Nicholson more than Jason. My memory is fuzzy!
Still Hamish did two of the 3 biggest games and that’s just ****ed

Does any commentator butcher the game's or the English language more than Jobe? Last night I heard something like "the defenders like to suck off..." Presumably he meant sag off.

Then there was "moving in motion". What?

In the end, I lost count of the number of howlers from Tim's son.

There must be some contract clause which says a member of the Watson has to be employed by 7 and must talk bullshit at every opportunity when covering a game.

Who is that commentating on channel 7 today? Doesn't sound like Alister Nicholson.

Matt Hill was brilliant. Hopefully it's not a one-off (would it be asking too much to have him co-call with either Bennett or Nicholson?)

And was he always scheduled to call games this year, or was he a late COVID-related fill in?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jobe Watson is outrageously bad. So inarticulate. I know he’s not a stupid fella but he just can’t get the words out, and doesn’t offer much when he does. The cronyism/nepotism is so bad in this whole footy industry. For Geelong games I have it on silent, but they find a way to ruin just about every game.

Matt Hill was brilliant. Hopefully it's not a one-off (would it be asking too much to have him co-call with either Bennett or Nicholson?)

And was he always scheduled to call games this year, or was he late COVID-related fill in?
When Matt first moved down to Victoria from NSW, rather than expect to jump straight in as the number 1 race caller, he bided his time calling country trots as well as AFL for a season or so. Really like his calling style, although occasionally calls every piece of what is on the screen rather than letting the vision do some of the talking. Hopefully he keeps it up and gets more games.

I don't understand the hate for Jobe Watson's commentary. It feels like 1 or 2 people were critical for the sake of it and then everyone being the sheep they are tagged along.

Hopefully Channel 7 decide it is time for some cost cutting measures and decides that the lower profile commentators can do a better job. They could save a heap of money by cutting BT loose. The quicker Gil resigns the better as that could see Hamish go. Find someway to get of Darcy, maybe when his son starts getting games then we will hear less of him. Brayshaw probably stays because of the cricket but him with a mix of Bennett, Nicholson and Hill wouldn't be too bad and probably saves 7 a million or 2 a year

Hopefully Channel 7 decide it is time for some cost cutting measures and decides that the lower profile commentators can do a better job. They could save a heap of money by cutting BT loose. The quicker Gil resigns the better as that could see Hamish go. Find someway to get of Darcy, maybe when his son starts getting games then we will hear less of him. Brayshaw probably stays because of the cricket but him with a mix of Bennett, Nicholson and Hill wouldn't be too bad and probably saves 7 a million or 2 a year
It's so weird that they get paid so much - it should totally be a management/boss market where they can screw down the costs. Nobody watches the footy 'because BT is on tonight'.

I don't understand the hate for Jobe Watson's commentary. It feels like 1 or 2 people were critical for the sake of it and then everyone being the sheep they are tagged along.
I’m in a news black hole most of the time so I might have missed the Jobe hate movement, apologies if it’s all been said before. I don’t hate the guy personally, but I gather that something must have gone wrong in his business life so he actually needs the job. Or opportunities have dried up because of the PED association. He used to portray himself as not a ‘footy head’ so it’s a bit jarring seeing him in the role.

And frankly with Carey who is a fine analyst (setting aside any personal problems), 7 don’t need another special comments person with him.

1 or 2 commentators, 1 special comments, and maybe 1 person on the ground doing injuries/interviews. I don’t understand the obsession with huge panels, and can only think it is people looking after each other.

Do other sports have such big panels? I’m not a huge watcher of anything else anymore. Soccer used to be quite minimal.

Do other sports have such big panels? I’m not a huge watcher of anything else anymore. Soccer used to be quite minimal.

NFL coverage is, and always has been, minimal... 1 PbP, 1 analyst (although Monday Night Football has often had 2 analysts throughout its history) and 1 sideline reporter (and it's only been in the past few years that the majority of games have even had sideline reporters)

Admittedly, NFL games do move at a slower pace than Aussie rules, but still...

And was he always scheduled to call games this year, or was he a late COVID-related fill in?

Hearing this is a breath of fresh air. Matt Hill is already a better footy caller than Darcy and Hamish put together after one game on TV. BT gets a pass because he’s good on radio only.

NFL coverage is, and always has been, minimal... 1 PbP, 1 analyst (although Monday Night Football has often had 2 analysts throughout its history) and 1 sideline reporter (and it's only been in the past few years that the majority of games have even had sideline reporters)

Admittedly, NFL games do move at a slower pace than Aussie rules, but still...
EPL is 1 PbP, 1 analyst
NBA is 1 PbP, 1 or 2 analysts (playoffs generally 2)
NRL generally 1 PbP 1 or 2 analysts

I can't think of any that really go the 2 PbP route

Remove this Banner Ad

Back