Society/Culture Andrew Thorburn - Controversial appointment as Essendon CEO. Broader discussion not for the AFL board..

Remove this Banner Ad

And again with the reply, proving for I think the 5th time that you don't deal with being corrected. Thanks mate.

Apologist post is here:

You are apologising for his (short-lived) dual leadership roles in two organisations with opposing views on inclusivity.

You're still trying, but really battling here. If you were a footballer you'd be Gary Rohan on GF day. Trying to jump in thinking you're a winner but having done almost nothing yourself.

1.he should have absented himself from the selection panel selecting the c.e.o. as joe aston said in the fin review he “finagled the gig”

2. the incompetency of those tasked in finding the new c.e.o in not doing the most basic due diligence in checking a person who as aston wrote “....was so soundly flayed by the royal commission into misconduct in banking, superannuation and financial services industry that he was forced to resign immediately upon the release of its final report”

3. i think the bombers were the 1st club to have a gays supporter group and to embrace inclusiveness. which runs counter to a church that believes being gay is sexual immorality and which has compared abortion with the holocaust.

4. for nuffies to criticise the a.f.l or andrews for a stuff-up of the bombers own making from beginning to end is beyond belief.

5. and this:doubledown:

Something I am struggling to understand in this thread is the idea that if I disagree with someone's lifestyle, that automatically means that I hate them. If I am a Christian, and I disagree on homosexuality, or abortion, or a range of other things, does that automatically mean the bulk of society hate me?
I can't speak for the bulk of society, but if you are the type of person that;

(1) Believes you have the right to judge other people's lifestyle
(2) Has an imaginary friend that is a psychotic genocidal maniac
(3) Believes this imaginary friend knows more than scientists and directs you what to do
(4) Discriminates against people based on how they were born
(5) Think that you have the right to tell others how to live their life based on hate-filled fairy tales

Then yeah, I'd probably hate you.

You're still trying, but really battling here. If you were a footballer you'd be Gary Rohan on GF day. Trying to jump in thinking you're a winner but having done almost nothing yourself.
So you've got nothing I see. Other than yet another reply without substance. I win.

This thread just keeps on giving.

Abortion chat is thataway:

I get that Christianity and its offshoots are a red rag at a bull in a number of different ways - we've hit transgender, wokeness, Jordan Peterson, and now abortion as conversation topics - but this thread is for Andrew Thorburn's resignation, not general conversations on these things. All posts have been moved to a more relevant thread (again) and will keep being moved if needed.

Posters are encouraged to share their opinions on the other parts of the SRP, but in this thread let's keep it on topic, please.

If you would kindly and politely explain where I am wrong I amm always happy to listen

I've done that all my life. I was a Labor man right through to my forties. I am not rusted on tone way of thinking as some are. But nobody calmly tries to explain where they think I might be mistaken. Simply linking my name with Trump is seen as more than enough to expose me as a white supremacist Nazi.. It's truly pathetic.

A footy forum is not the place to educate yourself on these very real and important topics.

Start with opposing abortion. Look at some of the arguments against your point of view. Read up on the issue. Both sides.

A footy forum is not the place to educate yourself on these very real and important topics.

Start with opposing abortion. Look at some of the arguments against your point of view. Read up on the issue. Both sides.
I have. They are weak. I have no doubt about my position after years of thought , reading and listening.
. When people defending a position resort to euphemisms to avoid stating the reality of what they support or desperately citing extremely rare scenarios to defend their support for abortion instead of having the guts to say it is ending a life and a woman should be able to do it for sheer convenience whenever she feels the need I'd at least admire their honesty

If you would kindly and politely explain where I am wrong I amm always happy to listen

I've done that all my life. I was a Labor man right through to my forties. I am not rusted on tone way of thinking as some are. But nobody calmly tries to explain where they think I might be mistaken. Simply linking my name with Trump is seen as more than enough to expose me as a white supremacist Nazi.. It's truly pathetic.
Happy to listen, good one.

It's almost as if throwing your support behind a pseudo-fascist will people think lowly of you. Not to mention your insistence on parroting the same garbage that RWNJ talking heads love to.

I have. They are weak. I have no doubt about my position after years of thought , reading and listening.
. When people defending a position resort to euphemisms to avoid stating the reality of what they support or desperately citing extremely rare scenarios to defend their support for abortion instead of having the guts to say it is ending a life and a woman should be able to do it for sheer convenience whenever she feels the need I'd at least admire their honesty
LOL

The premier of our state has been linked to endless corruption and cover ups yet that doesn't stop our media from rushing to this paragon of virtue for his opinions on the moral worth of another.

What 'til you google Mr Matthew Guy's name. You're in for a wild ride.

I'd take the self righteous sermonizing on tolerance a little more seriously if not for the crap I've seen targeting anyone perceived to be conservative in their views. on Big Footy forums. The AFL is no different.
Whaaat? Are you telling me that the dear leader may be a little biased with what he says and how he selects his moderators, thereby shaping the tone of discussion to suit his personal worldview?

No, surely not.

Sermonising is the right word for it though. This is a competition of worldviews on sexual ethics, and the the 'sexular' worldview is being preached from the rooftops, day and night. Is sex the most important thing in the world? If it is, then any rejection of the majority view on sexuality will be seen as an infringement on human rights. If it isn't, it won't be. Thus we have the situation before us now. True tolerance doesn't come into the equation.

So, after your years of thought, reading and listening, this is what you concluded? Wow.

What makes you think any individual should have the right to tell a woman to carry a baby through to child birth?

You've sorta hit the nail on the head and confirmed why Thorburn and EFC are completely incompatible. Hopefully you'll stop defending his resignation now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whaaat? Are you telling me that the dear leader may be a little biased with what he says and how he selects his moderators, thereby shaping the tone of discussion to suit his personal worldview?

No, surely not.
Hold up - are you suggesting he's actually a human being? Whoa now!

What hate? Why is being pro life on abortion or not believing homosexuality is a Christian way of life hateful. You can think it is misguided or wrong to think that way but it doesn't mean the people hate gays

The endless talk of tolerance on big footy is quite sickening Try saying Trump isn't a Nazi racist and wait for the avalanche of abuse.
Trump isn't a Nazi for what it's worth, though he is on "the spectrum" and he appears to have been happy to enlist the support of actual neo-Nazis. He IS a racist. That's my opinion. If you don't think so and you post that he's been misunderstood, given that about 90% will disagree with you, you will get an avalanche of disagreement. Deal with it.

And what do you find "quite sickening" about "endless talk of tolerance"? Are you sickened by tolerance of gays? Or is that you think people preaching tolerance are hypocritical because they aren't tolerant of your bigotry. There I go again being nasty and abusive by using the "b" word when it's all just a matter of opinion. Do you know how many teenagers commit suicide because of people "not believing homosexuality is a Christian way of life"? Hate is what hate does, and in this case what it does is kill.

It's no more ending a life than spouting your load into a tubesock is.

Educate yourself. The science is crystal clear. Or is science only something you believe in when it is convenient?

Is sex the most important thing in the world?
We'd literally be extinct without it, so yeah it's fairly important.

You ever had a little? Everyone is different obviously, but me personally, I reckon it's great.

I’d like to know why people are so triggered by Christianity in particular?
This wouldn’t be an issue if he was a Muslim or Jewish and the same doctrine being sprouted in his mosque / synagogue

And why do people feel the need to be accepted / have their beliefs agreed with by the club . Are they really that precious? So what if you’re gay and someone doesn’t believe in it? Does that make you sad so you need to aggressively make them believe the same stuff so you feel better about yourself? If you’re truly happy you shouldn’t need everybody’s approval.

I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I don’t get triggered by vegans . Even if they try to “convert” me. I’m not triggered by Muslims who don’t drink alcohol, nor by Jews etc and not by Catholics who don’t believe in contraception

Why are people so obsessed with others believing the same stuff as them??

Don’t give me the bullcrap about inclusivity because it’s a free country and everyone can get about their daily lives as they please .

It seems ppl are triggered by a particular religion, Christianity. and that’s a curious thing and worth thinking about ..

It's a never ending argument of "my sky daddy is better than your sky daddy".

Thankfully times have changed, whilst we still have religious wars, at least sky daddy followers like Thorburn cannot just hide under the cloak of their faith.
He
What is fine to you is not necessarily fine to me (thankfully).

For me, when he was a CEO and his bank merrily .charge fees to dead people, he didn't conduct himself in a manner that should allow him to ever be in such a position again, whether that is leading a bank or a football club or a you are exactly rifjt

This wouldn’t be an issue if he was a Muslim or Jewish and the same doctrine being sprouted in his mosque / synagogue

And why do people feel the need to be accepted / have their beliefs agreed with by the club . Are they really that precious? So what if you’re gay and someone doesn’t believe in it? Does that make you sad so you need to aggressively make them believe the same stuff so you feel better about yourself? If you’re truly happy you shouldn’t need everybody’s approval.

I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I don’t get triggered by vegans . Even if they try to “convert” me. I’m not triggered by Muslims who don’t drink alcohol, nor by Jews etc and not by Catholics who don’t believe in contraception

Don’t give me the bullcrap about inclusivity because it’s a free country and everyone can get about their daily lives as they please .

It seems ppl are triggered by a particular religion, Christianity. and that’s a curious thing and worth thinking about ..
Unhinged social justice warriors is pretty much your answer. Great comment by the way.

If they kept their religious s**t private, there wouldn't be a problem.

We don't have to tolerate their intolerance. Simple as that.

Historically Christianity has defined morality in our society not Judaism or Islam and as we move into the second quarter of the twenty first century more and more people are questioning this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back