Preview Changes and Preview vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's much better at defensive pressure in the F50 hence keeps his spot. Our entire game plan is based around this.

Defensive pressure, that sounds like something Ken Hinkley would say to justify a selection that has the majority of us shaking our heads. Ken uses terms like 'defensive pressure' but never provides specific examples. When you look at McEntee's stats his tackle count is good but no better than most so it cannot be that he holds the ball in the forward line through exceptional tackling. I must watch a different game because I never see McEntee near the ball in some quarters and he tends to pick up a couple of possessions in quick time then does a disappearing act. It would not be so bad if the few possessions he got were goals or goal assists but they are not. Just 13 goals in 18 games is a poor return for someone who spends as much time in the forward line as McEntee does.

A game plan that is based on holding the ball in the forward line without actually kicking goals sounds like something straight out of the Hinkley play book.

Defensive pressure, that sounds like something Ken Hinkley would say to justify a selection that has the majority of us shaking our heads. Ken uses terms like 'defensive pressure' but never provides specific examples. When you look at McEntee's stats his tackle count is good but no better than most so it cannot be that he holds the ball in the forward line through exceptional tackling. I must watch a different game because I never see McEntee near the ball in some quarters and he tends to pick up a couple of possessions in quick time then does a disappearing act. It would not be so bad if the few possessions he got were goals or goal assists but they are not. Just 13 goals in 18 games is a poor return for someone who spends as much time in the forward line as McEntee does.

A game plan that is based on holding the ball in the forward line without actually kicking goals sounds like something straight out of the Hinkley play book.
To be fair McEntee’s job is to try and remove his oppo from the contest so that Rioli and SPP can do their thing. i think he’s good defensively in our forward 50 buy yeah he doesn’t have the polish of your classic small forward.

To be fair McEntee’s job is to try and remove his oppo from the contest so that Rioli and SPP can do their thing. i think he’s good defensively in our forward 50 buy yeah he doesn’t have the polish of your classic small forward.

Going into a game with one forward who is focusing on negating the opposition's defence is asking for trouble. If McEntee was playing in defence and he kept the likes of a Cameron, Heeney or Greene out of the game I could accept it but a small forward who is intent on stopping an opposition defender? That is way too scientific for an old timer like me. I would much sooner McEntee kicked a couple of goals each week.

What you are suggesting is probably quite true but it is also typical Hinkley. OK McEntee holds the ball inside our 50 but how many times do we actually benefit from it? No I would sooner McEntee got the ball and booted goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to play for now.
Maybe except to tank and finish 4th and not have to travel to the Gabba.
Freo by 17 points.
I disagree we need to win this as the pies could lose to the bombers next week.
This happens and the lions win Pies end up 2nd.
Also we can't finish 2nd anyone thinking the pies will be easier than the lions have rose coloured glasses on.

I disagree we need to win this as the pies could lose to the bombers next week.
This happens and the lions win Pies end up 2nd.
Also we can't finish 2nd anyone thinking the pies will be easier than the lions have rose coloured glasses on.
Absolutely Pies @ MCG>Lions @ Gabba

Finals specifically.

I've changed my view, we would be better off winning both h&a matches now and leaving it up to chance who we play in finals week 1. Hope pies lose to bombers next week, finish 2nd and play us at the G. Better chance beating them than Brisbane in hot form at the Gabba

That’s how I see it.

As long as we don’t stupidly rush Dixon, McKenzie or Lycett back before they’re absolutely ready.
Yep only fit players, there’s 3 weeks so hopefully they’re ready. If we jag a week 1 win game on. Let’s face it, not many of us here are expecting to make the GF anyway

You want to go into finals in winning form. you only need to look at the prelim final against the Bulldogs to see how a :poo: attitude rips you apart.

The young players especially want to build that ruthless streak. Want to see Rozee, Butters, JHF to get among it, Williams to continue building his resume, Hayes gaining confidence and Lord to have a breakout game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back