Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Hawks @ MCG after our Sabbatical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Rest and refresh time. Hawks are not easy beats, have played some good footy the last few weeks.

Outs- Jack Gunston, Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner.

Ins- Jack Payne, Kai Lohmann, James Madden.

IMO with Payne back in either Gardiner or Lester have to go out, we should go past Jack and Richy, I'd be happy with any of Madden/Prior/Robertson/Tunstill/Sharp as the 3rd in.

Fort for Gunston

Payne for Froggy

Would be happy to replace Berry with someone but not sure who or if it matters

Berry seems a prime candidate to pick up some form in the 2s

Out: Gunston, Rich, Gardiner, Berry
In: Payne, Prior, Ah Chee, Lyons.

We looked so much better without Rich and Gardiner in the team. Why we had to rush these two into the team I’ll never know.

How quickly Payne has become an integral part of our team. Love it.

My issue is that I don't see a world where Dizzy/Rich/Gunston get dropped by Fages. Whether they deserve it or not, I'm sitting on the fence but I am curious if Fages has the balls to drop some older heads to give the youth a go.

I think with the bye to rest up, he'll give them a chance to recover some form against the Hawks.

This will be a tough game, we are 5-6 goal worse side at MCG, hopefully the bye will allow the boys to regroup and come back hungrier.

How quickly Payne has become an integral part of our team. Love it.

My issue is that I don't see a world where Dizzy/Rich/Gunston get dropped by Fages. Whether they deserve it or not, I'm sitting on the fence but I am curious if Fages has the balls to drop some older heads to give the youth a go.

I think with the bye to rest up, he'll give them a chance to recover some form against the Hawks.
i thought dizzy was pretty good for his first game back

Berry Out. McCluggage out of the midfield. Been calling for this all year.
Yep. Me too. McCluggage is not a midfielder. Play him on the wing. If we need another player in the midfield rotation, select Lyons. Prior, Ah Chee and Robertson must be spewing at the fact that Berry can stink it up and he keeps getting chances, while they get dropped in a heartbeat.

Also, seriously can’t understand why Fagan had Rich doing the kick ins. He is like watching Nadal getting ready to serve. He stands in the square, takes ages to work out where to kick it, slows things up so that any Lions player who has run into space will be picked up and then kicks it down the line on the left, which is where everyone knew it was going, irrespective of who we have there. Rich is great for a nostalgia long goal forward of the centre and he can link up in transition patterns, but he has no defensive game anymore. CASE IN POINT, RICH DID NOT LAY A SINGLE TACKLE TONIGHT - NOT ONE. Gardiner is pretty much the same. He is slow, predictable and hardly ever competes in the deck.

Payne straight back in for one of Lester or Gardiner. Not sure which to be honest

Gunston out. Could go about 5 different ways. Straight replacement would be Fort or Fullerton. Let Rayner play 3rd tall and get Lohman or Ah Chee in (one attacking or one defensive option). Or Dev or Cockatoo. Both can also offer both forward and mid time.

We have the bye otherwise I'd be wanting to rest a few players. Ashcroft and Wilmot look tired for young players. Berry was way off.

Was a lot better than pretty much every other defender. I sometimes think our backs are allergic to attempting to mark the footy.
The bar must be pretty low for Darcy Gardiner and I would suggest the facts don’t bear out your assertion.

He kind of got going in the third quarter, but that was it. One disposal and ZERO tackles to half time was pretty poor.

1st Quarter - 1 Disposal 0 Tackles
2nd Quarter - 0 Disposal 0 Tackles
3rd Quarter - 5 Disposals 0 Tackles
4th Quarter - 2 Disposals 2 Tackles

Both Lester and Starcevich were better defenders tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bar must be pretty low for Darcy Gardiner and I would suggest the facts don’t bear out your assertion.

He kind of got going in the third quarter, but that was it. One disposal and ZERO tackles to half time was pretty poor.

Dropped marks and fumbles aren't a recorded stat and unfortunately froggy had a few. Starce missing Berry led directly to an adelaide goal. Dizzy did decent on tex and didn't make the errors others did.

Harris was probably our worst defender factoring in discipline issues.

starcevich was terrible. rankine got a lot of it and a lot of what he got lead to scores for adelaide

Dropped marks and fumbles aren't a recorded stat and unfortunately froggy had a few. Starce missing Berry led directly to an adelaide goal. Dizzy did decent on tex and didn't make the errors others did.

Harris was probably our worst defender factoring in discipline issues.
It was a tough night for marking, to be sure, but Harris was our worst defender by a mile, factoring in:
1. Giving away a 50 that led to a goal.
2. Only having 5 disposals for the game.
3. Having ZERO TACKLES.
4. Playing with no urgency or drive.

starcevich was terrible. rankine got a lot of it and a lot of what he got lead to scores for adelaide
Starcevich did have a bad game. Terrible clanger led to a goal and Rankine beat him on the night, but he battled away all game and put physical pressure on. In the wet, tackling is important and so are pressure acts.

Some stats to consider
IMG_6135.png

IMG_6136.png
When looking at defence tonight, especially as it was wet, people need to look at Tackles and Pressure Acts when judging players and their relative contributions. Rich, had a defensive shocker with Zero tackles and six pressure acts. Gardiner had two tackles and seven pressure acts. Andrews had zero tackles and nine pressure acts. Starcevich had four tackles and ten pressure acts. Coleman had one tackle and nine pressure acts. McKenna had three tackles and fourteen pressure acts. Lester had four tackles and fourteen pressure acts.

Those of us who say Rich is cooked do so because he really doesn’t have a defensive game anymore. Gardiner was elevated to the Seniors after two games in the Ressies and didn’t bring much tonight. I think Andrews had his career worst game, but if people can nominate a worse one, I will listen. McKenna and Lester were the pick of the defensive team tonight, because they scrap and get to contests and are hard at it.

I say again - we were playing better football without Rich and Gardiner and we would certainly be trading up if we swapped Gunston for either Fort or Fullerton. Gunston was ‘cheating’ tonight and it was there for all to see.

It was a tough night for marking, to be sure, but Harris was our worst defender by a mile, factoring in:
1. Giving away a 50 that led to a goal.
2. Only having 5 disposals for the game.
3. Having ZERO TACKLES.
4. Playing with no urgency or drive.

Lester's had a couple of good weeks, but he dropped two relatively straight forward marks that essentially led directly to Adelaide goals.

I do agree Lester's urgency and involvement was better than Andrews'.

I don't have a preference between Lester or Gardiner, but I don't think either was significantly better than the other tonight.

The speed of game has gone past Rich and Gunston.

Time to go with a smaller, more dynamic forward line. Lohmann should get first crack at it. Rayner to play the third tall role.

Wilmot takes Rich's position permanently.

I'm another who believes McCluggage should be outside playing wing, and we should be looking to use our wings more.

We're not winning any flags without some hard calls on older players.

Seen this mistake made by teams that nearly got there more times than I've had hot dinners.
Fagan has to get sentimentality out of his decision making - it is costing this group. I get that he wants the likes of Zorko, Rich, Gunston and Gardiner a flag, but surely if its detrimental to the club winning one, then as you said, tough calls need to be made.

I want Gunston and Berry out - both are terrible, but they are also just about Fagan's biggest pets. Fagan will want Gunston playing against Hawthorn at the G b/c of the sentimentality of it, so I think we are going to be disappointed if we are expecting him to be dropped.

Berry on the other hand, needs to be dropped. One good game every other month just isnt good enough and is one of those guys just too comfortable at the club and why he is exempt from being dropped is beyond me. I agree with 3KZ I think who said Hugh is not a mid and should be played excsively as a wing. Bring in Dev as a mid.

I honestly thought we'd adopt a Geelong season 22 policy with our team selection but I sense disappointingly that Fagan wants everyone playing as much as possible.

Out - Rich, Madden, McCarthy, Berry, Gardiner (dropped) and Zorko to the sub - Gunston should be dropped but wont versus HAwks
In - Prior, Robertson, Lohmann, Ah Chee, Payne.

Last edited:
The speed of game has gone past Rich and Gunston.

Time to go with a smaller, more dynamic forward line. Lohmann should get first crack at it. Rayner to play the third tall role.

Wilmot takes Rich's position permanently.

I'm another who believes McCluggage should be outside playing wing, and we should be looking to use our wings more.
Totally agree with Rayner as the 3rd tall. Give him the permanent role.

Don't mind who comes in out of Ah Chee and Lohmann. I'd always have a spot in the 22 somewhere for Ah Chee.

Not unhappy with Fort for Gunston . Or anybody really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back