Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted some analysis (not mine) a few weeks back. It suggested that a single short break of say 5 days was not much of a problem but having multiple games with short breaks (say 3 games in 11 days) was more of a problem.

So it’s an important consideration.

Can’t remember where I found that analysis unfortunately.
Absolutely it would be and players loads, especially young players will be reviewed and managed through this period

Reckon there's a decent chance that Johannisen will go forward again. Structurally, someone's going to have to play there, especially if we want the tactical flexibility of moving Macrae, Harmes, West or Garcia to move on the ball again at some stage rather than all four having to play the game 100% in the forward line.

Josh Kelly and Lachie Ash out for the plastics
They will still be hard to beat, and capable of flogging us if the soft and sloppy version of us come out.

But we have a chance this week, given they have not looked so ominous in recent weeks. Plus have some key outs. Their midfield depth will be tested. Kelly and Ash are two players who can run.

Reckon there's a decent chance that Johannisen will go forward again. Structurally, someone's going to have to play there, especially if we want the tactical flexibility of moving Macrae, Harmes, West or Garcia to move on the ball again at some stage rather than all four having to play the game 100% in the forward line.
He was moved forward on Saturday night following VDM sub and Cleary’s activation.

It’s certainly a possibility if we’re picking a team to win ahead of a team for the future. He’d almost certainly be more effective than Jones or Clarke.

We’ll be losing a lot of half back run with Richards in the middle and JJ forward so it would put a lot of responsibility of Cleary’s shoulders to pick up the slack in a defence consisting of Jones, Keath, JOD and a second gamer in Freijah.

They will still be hard to beat, and capable of flogging us if the soft and sloppy version of us come out.

But we have a chance this week, given they have not looked so ominous in recent weeks. Plus have some key outs. Their midfield depth will be tested. Kelly and Ash are two players who can run.
Don’t expect to win. Just hadn’t been mentioned here

Last year we really should have beaten them twice. We beat them in Canberra, and then in the second game in Ballarat, we lost Alex Keath to concussion early, but were still up by 5 goals in the third quarter, before Jake Riccardi decided to end Josh Bruce's career, leaving us two defenders short, and they came back to win it by 5. Just a awful day all round.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/989091...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1690608367001

It staggers me that they can play out the match despite being sore, yet miss six weeks with hamstring injuries. Six weeks is closer to the severe end rather than the low end.

I'm taking nothing away from Essendon's win, but it may explain why the Bombers weren't challenged much in the final 15 minutes of that match.

Last year we really should have beaten them twice. We beat them in Canberra, and then in the second game in Ballarat, we lost Alex Keath to concussion early, but were still up by 5 goals in the third quarter, before Jake Riccardi decided to end Josh Bruce's career, leaving us two defenders short, and they came back to win it by 5. Just a awful day all round.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/989091...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1690608367001

TBH, had Toby Greene played in Canberra last year, they'd have beaten us twice. He was the match winner in Ballarat.

The point I'm making is you're saying we could have beaten them twice last year, but the argument can very easily be made both ways.

He was moved forward on Saturday night following VDM sub and Cleary’s activation.

It’s certainly a possibility if we’re picking a team to win ahead of a team for the future. He’d almost certainly be more effective than Jones or Clarke.

We’ll be losing a lot of half back run with Richards in the middle and JJ forward so it would put a lot of responsibility of Cleary’s shoulders to pick up the slack in a defence consisting of Jones, Keath, JOD and a second gamer in Freijah.

yeah, clearys first option seems to be sideways. Trying not to make mistakes, but we need players in his role to be aggressive. Whats he like at VFL level?

TBH, had Toby Greene played in Canberra last year, they'd have beaten us twice. He was the match winner in Ballarat.

The point I'm making is you're saying we could have beaten them twice last year, but the argument can very easily be made both ways.
Well sure, but during the third quarter they only had 17 points on the board. Jake Riccardi ended up kicking two goals after Bruce was injured and they won by 5.

Never bodes very well for us when other teams are missing players. Seems like we ease up mentally thinking it should be easier with those players out.
Then bites us on the @ss as we let our performance drop then we panic when they come hard at us. And drop matches we should be a chance in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Ash and Kelly out even more reason to put a lot of work in Whitfield. Their run and ball use is a major reason for their success.

Still not very confident, especially with Toby due for a big game.
Whitfield cannot handle the physical stuff, can Harmes play on him?

I think so, but got a feeling it will be West. Just need someone to harass the hell out of him with blocks and bumps.
Does West have the capability to go with Whitfield in terms of running ability? Worry that Whitfield is too quick for West to effectively go with him to ensure he doesn't get off the chain

Pardon the intrusion - just wanted to wish your lads all the best against the soulless franchise this weekend in Doc’s 200th game. Always loved his work in our colours and glad he’s found a second home at Whitten Oval. Someone with his tenacity and work ethic on the field deserves to be a 200 gamer and I’m glad you guys gave him the opportunity to do so.

The Sydney game would be the 3rd game in 12 days for some.

Would that qualify?
I expect so. Depends where you think the threshold ought to be, naturally. But 3 in 12 would be challenging in my uneducated opinion.

I expect so. Depends where you think the threshold ought to be, naturally. But 3 in 12 would be challenging in my uneducated opinion.
My less than uneducated opinion is similar. Less seasoned younger players with fewer preseasons under their belts would logically find it more challenging than older more seasoned players but only by degrees. The team threshold might vary slightly depending on the weighting of younger and senior players and/or the roles they are playing. :think: Could be a PhD in that for someone with an education.

Anywho, it's quite an interesting topic to think about given our schedule and the quality of our upcoming opponents. Unsurprisingly, only 2 teams are subject to a 5 day turnaround after the bye and we are one one of the two. Surprisingly, we are one of two and not the only one.

A few Debbie Downers in here at the moment.

Dogs to win it, just bring that desperation and we can do it.

GWS initial form has slipped. We are coming off a confidence building win.

Get off to a good start and hopefully hang on for the win as GWS will keep coming. Very long ground may suit us with more space and room for the talls.

Got a feeling we'll show up this week.

Would love to see Sanders in the middle though. My feeling is he's an out and out inside mid and its pointless playing him on a wing or half forward just for the sake of including him in the side. The kid knows how to find the ball and has good hands in close.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back