Preview Changes for round 2 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli isnt injured. His uncle passed away..

Why wouldn’t the club, who has a history of being very open with these things (Schofield, Cole off the top of my head) come out and say that? Why would they fabricate a foot injury to a promising player ahead of Round One?

I think brander needs to keep his spot. Can play small and tall, and looked really good when the team was going ok.
Petruccelli out cripps in (gets a reprieve if ryan out)
Waterman out for Kennedy
Rioli will need another week.

Out: Brander Waterman Hutchings Hickey
In: Kennedy M Allen AhChee Smith

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Cole
Masten Sheed Redden
Venables Darling AhChee
Petrucelle Kennedy Ryan

Ruck: Vardy Yeo Shuey
Int: O Allen M Allen Jetta Smith

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do people see Hutchings year playing out? Will we play a tagger all year? I didn't really notice him last night to be honest (neither good nor bad) but often wonder what his best role is.

Sometime I think if a tag isn't working Simmo should try use him to actually win the ball, he is a strong player and can tackle if he's second to the ball. Not sure about his composure though.

Surely Masten gets dropped for Gaff in round 3? Give him one more round to redeem himself but i think it's the best move.
Hickey if he has another poor week for Brooksby? Or do we run Vardy as a soul ruck with Barrass chopping out. I really don't like that. Nic can't come back fast enough
Cripps and Rioli in for Waterman and Pet.
JK for Brander

Going to start by saying I know everyone played badly tonight and I know Mastens running is an important part of our game as I know those are the responses I’ll get.. but.. It’d be really exciting once JK is back to swap him with Masten and play Brander on a defensive wing. Masten obviously gets a few more cracks at it for the reasons I’ve mentioned.. but if he has a few poor ones on the trot I’d like to see us try something like that

We were far too tall and lacked midfield run.

So you drop Masten and bring in another tall?

Thats crazy.

Jumper punch I think, that connected a bit high. Hopefully just a fine - but a stupid boy is Liam. It was a dog act by the lion's player that instigated the scuffle.

The ump was right there too.

The Liion w***er who kneed him on the ground needs to be fined. Totally uncalled for while a player is sitting and cramping.

Surely Masten gets dropped for Gaff in round 3? Give him one more round to redeem himself but i think it's the best move.
Hickey if he has another poor week for Brooksby? Or do we run Vardy as a soul ruck with Barrass chopping out. I really don't like that. Nic can't come back fast enough
Cripps and Rioli in for Waterman and Pet.
JK for Brander
As much as I would love for someone to overtake Masten and knock him out of the side I don't see it happening for a while. We'll likely get other injuries that will keep him in there. I said it last night but I've got a bad feeling about Rioli's foot injury, if he's got a foot issue I would rather we kept him out of the side until it's 100% instead of rushing him back and have him go down for the rest of the year.

Petruccelle is young and has not played many games yet but he seems way out of his depth, speed is great when you have the ball but it means crap if you don’t get it much. He needs more time of course but he needs to become a seriously good player at WAFL level first and he isn’t that yet.
Like Brander he is just not ready to play at this level, reckon Brander is ahead of him though.

As much as I would love for someone to overtake Masten and knock him out of the side I don't see it happening for a while. We'll likely get other injuries that will keep him in there. I said it last night but I've got a bad feeling about Rioli's foot injury, if he's got a foot issue I would rather we kept him out of the side until it's 100% instead of rushing him back and have him go down for the rest of the year.

I agree, what a god damn kick in the pants having Willie cop a foot injury just before the season starts. Especially after such a strong JLT showing. Hopefully he isn't rushed back in a panic. Wait till he's 100%

However i really hope we can be in a position to drop Masten soon.

Venables needs to start showing something more. I know he's young and had an interrupted pre-season but he gets sub 10 disposals way too often for mine.Obviously worth persevering with but I'd love to see him get up around 18-20 touches a game.

Hutchings role this year will be intriguing. He seemed to be playing on the HFF a bit last night. Really not a great position for him.

We lost that at selection. Too tall in greasy conditions, Smith should have come in late for a tall.

Think Waterman comes out for JK.

Brander comes out for Watson, need more run off half back.

Masten comes out for Smith, Masten had an interupted preseason and doesnt look right, need to build finess thats all.

The two rucks didnt perform. That is a tough one. Do we want to go one ruck and add another midfield runner. Barras takes the backline, Oscar/Darling takes the forward line and one ruck does the middle?

If Ryan misses then hopefully Rioli comes back but if his uncle died doubt he will be available. If not then Ah chee comes in.

Too tall Simo. That old mistake.

I agree, what a god damn kick in the pants having Willie cop a foot injury just before the season starts. Especially after such a strong JLT showing. Hopefully he isn't rushed back in a panic. Wait till he's 100%

However i really hope we can be in a position to drop Masten soon.

Venables needs to start showing something more. I know he's young and had an interrupted pre-season but he gets sub 10 disposals way too often for mine.Obviously worth persevering with but I'd love to see him get up around 18-20 touches a game.

Hutchings role this year will be intriguing. He seemed to be playing on the HFF a bit last night. Really not a great position for him.
Yeah, it's a real shame, I reckon Willie is primed to dominate.
The trouble with Masten is that we don't have any young players coming through who can play his role yet. Maybe Josh Smith is an option but will he actually be any better than Masten?
Agree on both your latter points, Venables shows flashes of good play but that's generally all we get, flashes and then long periods of nothing. Production is massive concern.
Hutchings didn't seem to do much yesterday, was he tagging anyone? Hard to tell on tv sometimes but if he was he didn't seem to have any affect on the game in the slightest.
We clearly fell into the same trap we have for the last 10 years on and off, playing too many talls. I guess that's what happens when you have such quality talls, you end up having to try and shoehorn them into the side to get some games in them. I rate Brander and I think he's going to be a great player one day, can't help but wonder how Jack Higgins would look in our side right now though.

Is it a good idea to stick to the two ruck policy when the ones we have are average at best? It is OK if NN is there or even Lycett.

Looking at TOG% and both Vardy and Hickey played ~75%

In reality they should both have been quite full of energy with that game time, maybe not the burst of Naitanui but they were lumbering around as if they'd played 100% and rucked every contest.

I'm all for the 2 ruck strategy but last night was a shambles and they weren't even rucking in half the ground!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back