Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 2 vs. Carlton, MCG Thurs 25/03 @ 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout his entire tenure as coach, I have never understood how Buckley, an extraordinarily skilful player, has been so driven to select, and remain loyal to, low-skilled hard-working types who are bereft of any X-factor.

It defies comprehension. I call it the Buckley Paradox.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Throughout his entire tenure as coach, I have never understood how Buckley, an extraordinarily skilful player, has been so driven to select, and remain loyal to, low-skilled hard-working types who are bereft of any X-factor.

It defies comprehension. I call it the Buckley's Paradox Useless.

Fify :thumbsupemoji:

Some have just admitted Henry was cooked by Qtr time, so what makes them think this years other youngsters, Macrae and Poulter etc., would be better, fitness wise.
We also saw what happened to Keane and Lynch last year so ditto for Rantall, still with no proper games. Bianco has also hasn't trained all week.
It may be that coaches saw what happened last year and are not prepared to play kids without games under proper match conditions. There is a big difference between training and match fitness.
I cant believe that the AFL has created a 2nd tier comp that doesn't run parallel to the AFL.

Not fussed about Henry or Ruscoe being dropped. Both look far from AFL standard at the moment. Henry probably moreso. No point playing kids for the sake of it if they aren't ready, and Henry clearly isn't imo. WHE must have some ripping photos though. Luckiest bloke to be a seemingly automatic walk up start. I don't think Thomas has been as putrid as some make out, but certainly onr of the last picked. Hope C.Brown goes ok but have my doubts. His brother likewise. I thought Carlton were reasonably impressive last week. Moreso than us. But Round 1 often throws up some unusual results so hopefully things turn for us and natural order is restored and we give them a hiding

Our Whole Forward Line has not Looked AFL Standard since 2018

Hahahha at the teams.

Buckley desperate to play the 2018 GF team. Leave already mate, dead man walking...

First time going for the Blues when playing Collingwood. :$
No. I don't believe you. When the crunch moment comes- you will know you are wedded to the pies by blood and no amount of angst will see you supporting our enemy.

You'd have to assume Cameron won't be the sub, which leaves Murphy, Ruscoe and Henry.

Preparing for a worst case scenario where a player is subbed off within ten minutes, I would be putting in Murphy. Probably the most versatile of them.

Say Henry could be Sub as can play Forward and Back

Some have just admitted Henry was cooked by Qtr time, so what makes them think this years other youngsters, Macrae and Poulter etc., would be better, fitness wise.
We also saw what happened to Keane and Lynch last year so ditto for Rantall, still with no proper games. Bianco has also hasn't trained all week.
It may be that coaches saw what happened last year and are not prepared to play kids without games under proper match conditions. There is a big difference between training and match fitness.
I cant believe that the AFL has created a 2nd tier comp that doesn't run parallel to the AFL.

Some draftees, like Poulter, played a near-full season in SA, while others, like Macrae, just seem to have an engine. Henry was never in either category.

And as for Murphy, Wilson and Rantall, who all have at least a couple of ore-seasons under their belts, why not play them and find out if they’re up to it or not?

Yeah, must admit pretty disappointing team. Don't want to be negative, but really one or two of the selected team, really shouldn't be there. I don't get playing guys that are woefully out of form and confidence, as l actually feel the team plays one or two players short. To me, you cannot rediscover your form or confidence playing at senior level, you actually need a hiatus from the team, to relieve that pressure of expectation.
What happened to the exuberance of youth, and having some of that exuberance rub off on the rest of the team, as we saw with Sydney and Adelaide last week. Murphy Macrae, McCreery, Rantall and even Poulter. Very stiff a couple of these boys didn't get a go on Thursday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate we got absolutely spanked, the scorecard flattered us something shocking.

We should’ve lost by 10 goals. It was that bad.

Plenty taking this view, and rightly so - however just putting it on the table that after getting jumped in the first 6 minutes we actually outscored them...

A few people need to put the baby back in the bath and let tomorrow play out, I think we’ll win and win well.

I've posted this elsewhere online, so I'll post it here.

I think my problem with the club is that it can't decide what it wants to do or what it wants to be. I don't think you can go ahead and trade 3 best 22 players and bring in 8 18 year olds in one off-season and say that you still consider yourself a contender. Bringing in that volume of kids is a fair sign you're looking for a rejuvenation of the list and are entering a rebuild.

Having said that, having selection for the AAMI game, R1 game and R2 game featuring one new kid, one new kid and zero new kids consecutively isn't the right away to go about this rejuvenation/rebuild/re-whatever you want to call it. The selection committee is backing in a squad tomorrow night that is incredibly similar (in fact, almost identical) to the squad that played finals over 2018/19/20 despite the squad having very obvious deficiencies that have been found out on the big stage.

This isn't just a case of 18 year olds not being ready, it's a case of the selection committee not backing in the youth at the club. It's fine to sit there and say "what can this kid do better than an established player in his late 20s" but the problem is they're not actually being given an opportunity to showcase how they can be better even when there's ample opportunity to bring them in. Rantall is no longer a new player, and Murphy is entering his 4th year in the system. They are consistently being named as two of the hardest trainers at the club and being named in the bests in the reserves but can't crack it. Rantall can't even get named as an emergency. These are no longer fresh players that just need a little bit more development time. Naming a squad that has shown on a number of occasions to not being able to get the job done smacks of that old adage about what the definition of insanity is.

When a kid finally does break through, ie Daicos, he is now being put back into a position where he floundered previously, and is similarly floundering now. This spinning of the wheels is quite troubling imho.

The squad named for tomorrow night looks tired.

Yeah, must admit pretty disappointing team. Don't want to be negative, but really one or two of the selected team, really shouldn't be there. I don't get playing guys that are woefully out of form and confidence, as l actually feel the team plays one or two players short. To me, you cannot rediscover your form or confidence playing at senior level, you actually need a hiatus from the team, to relieve that pressure of expectation.
What happened to the exuberance of youth, and having some of that exuberance rub off on the rest of the team, as we saw with Sydney and Adelaide last week. Murphy Macrae, McCreery, Rantall and even Poulter. Very stiff a couple of these boys didn't get a go on Thursday night.

So everyone except Moore needs to be Dropped?

Our Whole Forward Line has not Looked AFL Standard since 2018
I agree for the most part. Most of the time we just do not look likely at all to kick a score. We did for brief stints early in games last year. We'd kick 5 in the first quarter, then 7 for the game. Does the head in watching it.

Some draftees, like Poulter, played a near-full season in SA, while others, like Macrae, just seem to have an engine. Henry was never in either category.

And as for Murphy, Wilson and Rantall, who all have at least a couple of ore-seasons under their belts, why not play them and find out if they’re up to it or not?

Then why was he Picked for the Pre-Season Games then?

Absolutely appalling that Hoskin-Elliott has been selected, and Josh Thomas.

Ruscoe and Henry omissions were obvious.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back