Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 5 vs. Essendon - FRI 03/07 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I expected us to take the conservative route and select Madgen so it's pleasing we've gone with Scharenberg.

Alongside the injured Langdon he represents our best chance of replacing some of what Howe brings to the team.

The unfortunate injury to Howe has opened up a great opportunity for Scharenberg so I hope he takes full advantage of it. Must be more creative with his ball use by foot.

Fantastic to have Treloar return it's just bloody annoying he only provides cover for the loss of Sidebottom now in our midfield instead of adding to it alongside him.

Noble pretty stiff IMO as I don't feel any of his opponents have really got a hold of him and he's been doing a solid defensive job.

Not sold on the Varcoe inclusion after an interrupted preseason due to injury. His output has been diminishing year on year as a forward and I'm not really a fan of him as a defensive option week on week. He's certainly not the future and may not be the present either.

Quaynor as a small defender or trialing Noble with his speed as a pressure forward if that's what we're after could have been options instead.

Phillips managed to scrap himself a couple of goals last week which was good but this time last year he was regularly gathering himself twice as many possessions. Needs to be moved to his best position out on wing or moved out of the 22.

Fair to say we need far more from all of our forwards tonight and beyond if we're to give this season a shake.

I'd be looking to ramp up the forward time of de Goey tonight and see if snagging a few can ignite his season. At present he's not kicking goals or winning big numbers through the midfield so let's focus on the area of the ground he's done the most damage to date in his career

Stephenson needs to will himself to more contests and keep his energy levels up across 4 quarters as he's been basically a non factor outside the first quarters of his previous 2 games. We need more consistency out of Elliott and Mihocek and for Hoskin-Elliott and Cox to start holding more of the marking opportunities that present.

De goey officially out

Source 7 news

No howe sidebottom or de goey ..

So

Out de goey in Kelly
Out varcoe in quaynor
Out wills in sier
Out t brown in Thomas

“Cox had a high number of role executions, so we’ll continue to make our forward line look like drunken slugs for another month-and-a-half at least, instead of moving the ball quickly and directly to someone with more talent”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back