Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 5 vs. Essendon - FRI 03/07 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
After tonight's devastating loss against the Giants, we're now 2-1-1 and our "premiership favouritism" has probably already vanished.

Surprise, surprise, the AFL/Channel 7 have booked us in for another Friday night blockbuster. Unfortunately this game isn't going to be in front of 90,000+ at the MCG on ANZAC Day, but I can imagine that the TV audience will be huge. The prospect of an empty MCG against Essendon is very strange indeed.

There are two Essendon players who have given us trouble in recent years; Orazio Fantasia and Joe Daniher.

Fantasia has troubled Maynard in the past and - despite Maynard desperate for an attempt at redemption - has seemingly missed some of our most recent encounters. Fantasia is back from another injury, provided he gets through their game against Carlton.

Daniher, likewise, is seemingly always suffering a groin injury until he comes back in to play us. A couple of weeks ago there were rumblings that he was "a few weeks away" but what's the bet he comes back in this week and starts launching them from outside 50m?

THE LAST TIME(S) THEY MET

We defeated Essendon twice last season in games which were both close.

Not many would have forgotten ANZAC Day in 2019 when Essendon fans were shamed for booing a champion. That was Round 6 and a four point win to end Essendon's three game winning streak. This game turned out to be our third win in a seven-game winning streak.

Shiel had 34 touches and Merrett helped himself to 30 touches. Heppell had 28 touches and Daniher kicked 4 goals. Heppell won't play this week, but what's the bet Daniher will find a way to get himself right?

You could be forgiven however, for forgetting our last home-and-away game in 2019 where we prevailed against the Bombers by 11 points. This was a game which we had to win to make top 4, and Essendon didn't have much to play for (they were already finishing 5-8th). Despite being down by three goals at quarter time, we pulled the bombers back in and eventually prevailed in what ended up being a pretty lacklustre affair.

It's worth noting that Connor McKenna tore us up in this game with 35 touches, but from my understanding will not play this game due to being forced into quarantine.

RECENT FORM

Essendon obviously missed last week and don't play until tomorrow night against Carlton. They're currently 2-0 after only just snatching a win against Fremantle at Marvel Stadium (pre-isolation) and stumbled over the line for a one goal win against Sydney in Sydney.

Given that Fremantle and Sydney could very easily be both bottom four teams this year, this form is very shaky and not much to go by. Their Saturday night game against Carlton should be a better guide.

In my opinion, these first four games back are a mini pre-season within a season. We are seeing teams slow right down in the back-end of games which has resulted in less second-half scoring. I wouldn't be surprised if the postponement of Round 3 really effects Essendon's ability late in this game, but we will see.

MATCH UPS

Tactically, I would like to see us put some attention into Saad this week. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see Worsfold give Saad the job of minding Stephenson ever again (after his 2018 effort) and thus he may be given a licence to really take us on the other way.

Essendon's forward line is potentially a weakness for them, but at the same time, a lack of too much firepower makes it hard to draw up proper match-ups. McKernan has been in decent form and Stringer has started the season well. Townsend is by no means a star, but has some ability if the ball falls his way.

Despite mentioning him above, I will assume Daniher doesn't get up, otherwise Moore gets the job.

I actually think Maynard would be well suited to a lot of their players if we need to make adjustments. However, he will want Fantasia, make no mistake about it.

Madgen (I had Howe down here) vs. Stringer
Maynard vs. Fantasia
Roughead vs. McKernan
Moore vs. Townsend (I think Daniher replaces Townsend if he plays)
Noble vs. Snelling (mate vs. mate!)
Crisp vs. McDonald-Tipungwuti
Mayne vs. Resting Mid (Smith/Langford)

CHANGES

In contention for selection: Treloar, Varcoe, Sier, Thomas. And now a defender.

I think Varcoe will play off half-back at some stage this year. But for now, he needs to put in a strong "pre-season" worth of scratch matches and a player like Noble needs to have an off game before he is considered.

Before the game I was thinking Treloar for Wills but after the game I'm thinking Treloar for T Brown.

IN: Treloar, Madgen
OUT: T Brown, Howe (inj)

If we don't go Madgen, maybe it's Varcoe.

TIP

Collingwood by 32.

damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. What have people got against Noble? Thought he was sensational under pressure, and his man Daniels did little more than have a moment or two.
He needs more composure, the amount of times he handball to someone under pressure.
He needs a spell

Is Murphy ready to take Howe's position?

Same type of played, yes, but we will lose our general and player who organises us and is a focal point in attacking from the back half.

The Bombers don’t appear to be particularly tall down there with McKernan and Stringer the biggest headaches for us. Given Madgen played in round 2 and was an emergency tonight, I tend to think he would be the most obvious and give him first crack on Stringer with the aim of trying to free up Moore as our creator. If that backfires, we would have to resort to potentially playing Moore on Stringer, Madgen on a medium/tall like Townsend and, dare I say it, release Maynard to try to intercept even though he played poorly tonight

He won’t learn by playing scratch matches. Who is to replace him? Quaynor who has the same experience or Varcoe who is totally cooked?
He won’t learn, but it ok for him to panic and turn the ball over consistently?
Young player, needs to go back and learn some composure.

He won’t learn by playing scratch matches. Who is to replace him? Quaynor who has the same experience or Varcoe who is totally cooked?
We’re a football club not a school, Noble’s learning isn’t a priority

damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. What have people got against Noble? Thought he was sensational under pressure, and his man Daniels did little more than have a moment or two.

Starting to position himself better, composure seems to be improving, his running gets him to unlikely contests, not running himself into trouble, also laid 5 tackles.

The lad doesn't have a high ceiling, but he's doing okay and people refuse to acknowledge. Not sure why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Howe (just * off 2020), T. Brown (unlucky)

In: Madgen, Treloar

No need for 4-5 changes, we lost by 2 to last year’s runner up away from home after kicking 1.5 in the last.

Edit: maybe Dunn if he is ready to go, but we might be a bit top heavy down back.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back