Preview Changes/Preview – Round 10 vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I’d only play Fullarton to manage Max, I reckon we could drop Turner tbh
I get the 'rest Max' logic for sure, but our midfield has been rubbish. We really need to use the easier games to build up the group's synergy and confidence.

Let’s face it Goody is a defence first coach. I get it. I mean you can’t be involved in shoot outs every week these days a win a flag. The top defensive teams are usually the contenders. But he does seem to have taken it too far at times. This style will keep us in contention and we won’t experience blowouts. But we need to get some more scores on the board. He just hasn’t found that balance and always reverts back to defence if things aren’t going to plan.

I get the 'rest Max' logic for sure, but our midfield has been rubbish. We really need to use the easier games to build up the group's synergy and confidence.

Yep, thought it was a great opportunity rest Max until JVR was ruled out. Definitely won't be happening now.

Its interesting that Sydney are managing to be such a high scoring team despite having a pretty average forwardline on paper. Like us they have some pretty meh talls and a decent mix of smalls and medium forwards but manage to score better than anyone.

They're also 13th for tackles inside 50. Geelong and GWS are also poor in this area (all three teams are below us). Sydney also 5th for marks inside 50 while being 17th for contested marks. Where we are 15th for marks inside 50 but 3rd for contested marks.

Let’s face it Goody is a defence first coach. I get it. I mean you can’t be involved in shoot outs every week these days a win a flag. The top defensive teams are usually the contenders. But he does seem to have taken it too far at times. This style will keep us in contention and we won’t experience blowouts. But we need to get some more scores on the board. He just hasn’t found that balance and always reverts back to defence if things aren’t going to plan.
He wasn't always though, he started out with a super attacking style. The main consistency he's had in his time is a desire to be good around contest and stoppage.

He wasn't always though, he started out with a super attacking style. The main consistency he's had in his time is a desire to be good around contest and stoppage.
Funny isn't it, we had Frost an Omac and played super aggressive and left them on an island alone to defend an often got hurt out the back, then spent massive on key defenders only to do everything possible to protect them

Its interesting that Sydney are managing to be such a high scoring team despite having a pretty average forwardline on paper. Like us they have some pretty meh talls and a decent mix of smalls and medium forwards but manage to score better than anyone.

They're also 13th for tackles inside 50. Geelong and GWS are also poor in this area (all three teams are below us). Sydney also 5th for marks inside 50 while being 17th for contested marks. Where we are 15th for marks inside 50 but 3rd for contested marks.

Yeah the Geelong and GWS difference is interesting I reckon because they both play a much more rebounding style than us, but it's also important to note that GWS are number 1 for marks per inside 50 and Geelong are 4th so they would have less ground balls than us (we're 16th), hence less opportunity for tackles inside 50.

Funny isn't it, we had Frost an Omac and played super aggressive and left them on an island alone to defend an often got hurt out the back, then spent massive on key defenders only to do everything possible to protect them
Feels like the philosophy is to cover over our weakest area. Couldn't trust those guys to defend so might as well go all out attack.

Feels like the philosophy is to cover over our weakest area. Couldn't trust those guys to defend so might as well go all out attack.
Which made sense when we had a terrible defence but I really think our forward line isn't as bad as we seem to think it is especially with Trac down there. Certainly not much worse than Collingwood or Sydney

Yeah the Geelong and GWS difference is interesting I reckon because they both play a much more rebounding style than us, but it's also to important to note that GWS are number 1 for marks per inside 50 and Geelong are 4th so they would have less ground balls than us (we're 16th), hence less opportunity for tackles inside 50.
The difference between marks inside 50 and contested marks is pretty striking imo. I know the CM stat is over the whole ground but it shows we want to keep it in contest where other teams back their guys to win it in space.

As I said Sydney are particularly interesting because their forwardline really isn't all that special. They have one player in the top 10 for goals kicked in Hayward. Plus they still manage to score heavily while also being the best defensive team in the comp as far as points against go.

The last two premiers have won with transition footy and the frontrunner this year is doing the same. Goodwin needs to get with the program.

Which made sense when we had a terrible defence but I really think our forward line isn't as bad as we seem to think it is especially with Trac down there. Certainly not much worse than Collingwood or Sydney
Yeah that's what I'm saying about Sydney. Our forwardline is at worst on par with theirs. They just function better and also get goals through their midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between marks inside 50 and contested marks is pretty striking imo. I know the CM stat is over the whole ground but it shows we want to keep it in contest where other teams back their guys to win it in space.

As I said Sydney are particularly interesting because their forwardline really isn't all that special. They have one player in the top 10 for goals kicked in Hayward. Plus they still manage to score heavily while also being the best defensive team in the comp as far as points against go.

The last two premiers have won with transition footy and the frontrunner this year is doing the same. Goodwin needs to get with the program.
It's easily the most frustrating part about this coaching group is their stubbornness to meaningfully change. We genuinely need to miss finals before anything happens I think.

Perhaps, although GWS are 4th for contested marks and Geelong 7th, whereas we are 3rd for marks on a lead, GWS 5th and Geelong 13th so I'm not sure that stacks up, would be interesting to see uncontested marks as a separate number, but I wager given our game style we'd be high for that too.

Agree Sydney are really nailing it though - Number 1 for scores from defensive half differential, score from turnover differential, and number 2 for score from stoppage differential. Pretty amazing. That's a whole team thing, not just a forward line thing.

But he took over from Roos who started with improving on defence. As we were getting slaughtered every week. When Goody took over we did score more freely particularly 2017-18. But he realised that wasn’t getting it done despite the 2018 season being a good one. I don’t necessarily agree with the way we play. But if we keep teams to 60-70 points we win most weeks. I’d personally like more scoring from our end.

But he took over from Roos who started with improving on defence. As we were getting slaughtered every week. When Goody took over we did score more freely particularly 2017-18. But he realised that wasn’t getting it done despite the 2018 season being a good one. I don’t necessarily agree with the way we play. But if we keep teams to 60-70 points we win most weeks. I’d personally like more scoring from our end.
Apart from finals but who cares about those!

Perhaps, although GWS are 4th for contested marks and Geelong 7th, whereas we are 3rd for marks on a lead, GWS 5th and Geelong 13th so I'm not sure that stacks up, would be interesting to see uncontested marks as a separate number, but I wager given our game style we'd be high for that too.

Agree Sydney are really nailing it though - Number 1 for scores from defensive half differential, score from turnover differential, and number 2 for score from stoppage differential. Pretty amazing. That's a whole team thing, not just a forward line thing.
Sydney are basically the same us us for clearance numbers but that score differential stat sounds like they don't have that many stoppages compared to most teams, certainly not getting repeat stoppages all that much you'd think.

Not sure where you get all your stats. The AFL site is very limited. Do you have access to Champion Data's stuff or something?

Tackles inside 50 is a weird stat as others have noted - you can rack up like 4-5 quick ones if you have a rolling maul with 36 players inside the forward half of the ground with repeat stoppages, which really doesn't = good pressure at all.

I'm most interested in either run down tackles or pressure that results in a turnover->chain to a goal. I feel like we are at our best when we are running players down or kozzy is flying around the forward 50 generating turnovers. Both of these are obviously harder to do if you have too many talls being waltzed around which then creates easy overlap and rebound 50s - the Ben Brown special

I think Goodwin is going to get old benny in as soon as he can . I suppose with the game in W.A , on Sunday night , only the supporters will bother to watch . I'd bring Verrall in , even though he isn't ready , for this game . 5-10 min a quarter to give Max a chop out . Give him a taste . Its frustrating because we know our team can play attacking footy when they have to , we have seen it . Our players seem to have been conditioned to play a certain way .and its past its use by date to win a flag .

Sydney are basically the same us us for clearance numbers but that score differential stat sounds like they don't have that many stoppages compared to most teams, certainly not getting repeat stoppages all that much you'd think.

Not sure where you get all your stats. The AFL site is very limited. Do you have access to Champion Data's stuff or something?

Nah I use Wheelo Ratings, it has some fantastic extra stats and run by a Dees supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back