Preview Changes v GWS - Round 16, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown probably gets a game but I don't know who for, wouldn't have thought Sparrow tho.

Vanders the one who impressed me most today, he almost looked like 2018 Vanders again. Probably needs a few more games but he's born for finals and someone who should get a chance before the end of the year assuming his body holds up.

Nib, Fritsch and TMac all need a good kick up the arse after their previous two games, doubt it's TMac but I'm somewhat concerned he's turning back into a spud again.

Nib, Fritsch and TMac all need a good kick up the arse after their previous two games, doubt it's TMac but I'm somewhat concerned he's turning back into a spud again.
All are having a bit of a trough in their form. However McDonald still worked his arse off last night so until that drops off he’s in my team. The most frustrating thing about Weideman before being dropped wasn’t the trampoline hands but the complete lack of intensity and will to work his way into the game around the ground.

Sparrow's tackling pressure was great yesterday. Beautiful goal too. I really want him to stay in. He reminds me a bit of AVB from a few years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol just dropping Brown into the forward line isn't gonna make us a 20 goal side. If anything McDonald will play worse, Brown will kick 2-3 and we will still have sh*t forward entries that result in 9 goals.

What do you propose as the solution? No change and just hope it is a problem with the midfield-forward connection?

i'd go with no change this week. i want to see the guys who were in the best in the VFL today like Jones, BB, AVB, Weideman, and Melksham back it up again next week before being considered for a call up.

What do you propose as the solution? No change and just hope it is a problem with the midfield-forward connection?
I'm not hoping that's the problem it IS the problem.

You can't sit here and say we've been delivering silver service into the forward line and we just don't have the cattle to take advantage of it. The way brown needs the ball kicked to him is lace out on the lead and seperation from his man. He's not marking dump kicks. If we were already kicking like that Fritta and McDonald would be kicking bags. Those guys can kick a goal from a poor entry. Brown is the definition of a finisher, his goals will only ever be the result of a beautiful kick to him

Lol just dropping Brown into the forward line isn't gonna make us a 20 goal side. If anything McDonald will play worse, Brown will kick 2-3 and we will still have sh*t forward entries that result in 9 goals.
Based on what evidence that McDonald will play s**t?
The last two games Brown played for the Dees these were McDonald's stats.

Round 8 against Sydney he had 18 disposals 7 marks, and kicked 4 goals.
Round 9 against Carlton McDonald had another 18 disposals, 6 marks and kicked 3.1

I didn't count Brown's first game because for 3 quarters McDonald had to play down back due to Tomlinson going down.

No coincidence that McDonald had his best game for the year when Brown was in the side..

I also don't think any Melbourne supporter has said that Brown makes us a 20 goal better side. But it's obvious that it certainly gives McDonald a chop out and with that, Tom takes the 2nd best defender instead of the first and also the net effect on Fritsch and Jackson. If he is drawing defenders away from these guys and frees them up then structurally that's a win for us. It's then up to our ball users in using the right option when connecting inside 50.

I'm not hoping that's the problem it IS the problem.

You can't sit here and say we've been delivering silver service into the forward line and we just don't have the cattle to take advantage of it. The way brown needs the ball kicked to him is lace out on the lead and seperation from his man. He's not marking dump kicks. If we were already kicking like that Fritta and McDonald would be kicking bags. Those guys can kick a goal from a poor entry. Brown is the definition of a finisher, his goals will only ever be the result of a beautiful kick to him

Don't necessarily disagree it is just a very interesting problem, I think it is a bit of both. We had a LOT of looks at goal last night but even excluding the inaccuracy our entries were no better than Essendons, we just have a much better back 6 so we absorbed it better.

Based on what evidence that McDonald will play sh*t?

Round 9 against Carlton McDonald had another 18 disposals, 6 marks and kicked 3.1

I didn't count Brown's first game because for 3 quarters McDonald had to play down back due to Tomlinson going down.

No coincidence that McDonald had his best game for the year when Brown was in the side..

I also don't think any Melbourne supporter has said that Brown makes us a 20 goal better side. But it's obvious that it certainly gives McDonald a chop out and with that, Tom takes the 2nd best defender instead of the first and also the net effect on Fritsch and Jackson. If he is drawing defenders away from these guys and frees them up then structurally that's a win for us. It's then up to our ball users in using the right option when connecting inside 50.
that and the forwards not leading to the same place .

Based on what evidence that McDonald will play sh*t?

If it was that simple having Weid in the side would have made our forward line better. It didn't.
One player never has and never will just fix a forward line. He will just be another tall bloke stuck in the forward line with s**t entries unable to do anything once the ball hits the ground.

Its chicken or egg whether the entries are bad or the forwards aren't leading to the right areas. Both appear to be problems. Brown would hopefully correct the latter, but at the expense of ground ball pressure. Realistically though even if he has the right idea it won't matter if the other forwards in the 50 don't and he will have no space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back