Preview Changes vs the Giants (Rnd 3) - Unchanged

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
In - Hibberd & Melksham
Out - Jordan & Jetta

I would give Jackson until either or both of B Brown and Weideman are available. Hasn't offered much and his contesting in the air hasn't been up to standard.

Also add he hasn't kicked a goal which is something we need from a key forward.

2021 Stats per game:

10 Disposals
4 Marks
0 Goals 1 Behind
7 Hitouts
1 Tackle

Why are we dropping Jordan and Jetta?

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why tf would Jackson even be in selection consideration right now. His ability to go into the ruck is invaluable atm with reduced interchange, allows Gawn to rest forward and have a real impact. Also he missed a couple sitters against Freo, think he gave one off too. I think you'll find that when BBB and weed are back, that Tmac goes onto a wing, Fritsch pushes higher up the ground. Jacko, BBB and Weed up forward. We can afford to play these talls as Jacko and Weed are both very good below their knees for their height and our small forwards are currently playing really well, more than capable of filling a potential void of pressure once the talls come back.

Also, Jackson is the mutha fu**in G.O.A.T dont you dare talk sh*t bout him

Here we go, another know it all that lives at home with Mummy

I think he's on the crystal weed bruh

You would know all about it champ

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
No way I want Melksham back in this side right now. One of the major obvious things we needed last year was a couple of smaller forwards contributing much more than he was. First 2 rounds that's exactly what we've got with Spargo/Pickett/ANB all making good contributions.

The good thing about our first two wins are our bottom end players playing well which is exactly what you need. ANB looks a completely different player now he's not fumbling or missing tackles. Jones has been solid. Spargo is playing a role and is a nice user of the ball. Sparrow and Jordon stay in while they're playing like they have been.

No way we should rush others back just on past reputations.

We've finally got a few role players playing in positions that suit their strengths and we're becoming a more complete team, such a contrast to last year. I too cannot see any place for Melksham right now barring injuries.

I'd be happy with unchanged. Hunt did enough for me. Saints small forwards were barely sighted so Hibberd is going to need to bang the door down. Likewise Melksham in the forward line.

I admit, I've got no idea about who Hunt played on and if he did a good job on them, perhaps he did. But from a rebounding and offensive standpoint, he's a massive liability. Winning is covering up how bad he's been by foot.

The turnover when he kicked it over Jones' head to Steele for a goal was horrendous but there was also a play late in the game where he attempted a 15m left foot pass and dead set shinned it 5 metres into a st.kilda player for a smoother. Youd see better kicks in the reserves at your local competition.

Hibbo has to come in for him imo.

I admit, I've got no idea about who Hunt played on and if he did a good job on them, perhaps he did. But from a rebounding and offensive standpoint, he's a massive liability. Winning is covering up how bad he's been by foot.

The turnover when he kicked it over Jones' head to Steele for a goal was horrendous but there was also a play late in the game where he attempted a 15m left foot pass and dead set shinned it 5 metres into a st.kilda player for a smoother. Youd see better kicks in the reserves at your local competition.

Hibbo has to come in for him imo.

I think it was Butler? Ended the match with 8 touches, but I would say that had more to do with our defensive setups than Hunt's workrate.

Im with you, if there isn't a clear match up and we can expect similar defensive output from Hibberd then he's going to add more to our side than Hunt.

Fuchsia

Draftee
Mar 29, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Give Fritsch a bag of footys and ask give to kick at goals until his leg is sore. On Thursday give him 100 set shots and if he gets 80% goals, he is in the team. Otherwise drop him for Melksham.

No other changes required at the moment. Everyone is playing their roles well.
Forwards are paid for one reason only - to kick goals.
I'm for docking their pay when they miss gettable set shots.
Not for shots from tight angles of course but heavens to Betsy the misses from Fritta are just not acceptable.
He gets the pill and has skill but I'm chewing my nails when he lines up for a shot on goal from 30 metres out on a 45 degree angle.
And just when you give up on him - he bags one like he did in the last quarter.
So frustrating!

On Hunt, worth looking at the Telstra tracker - in both games he has been far less offensive in his touches. I think he’s being asked to role play. He’s not as good as Hibb but without seeing him live hard to know if he’s actually doing his job.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
On Hunt, worth looking at the Telstra tracker - in both games he has been far less offensive in his touches. I think he’s being asked to role play. He’s not as good as Hibb but without seeing him live hard to know if he’s actually doing his job.
Even if he was doing his job ok, there's no way in hell Hibberd couldn't do it 3x better at the moment.

Hibberd can also mark above his head something Hunt can't

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a shame Hunt can't execute a neat 15-20 m kick. Cos the balance is good with him playing a lockdown role on quick smalls that Nev can't keep up with. But majority of the lockdown role is taking the easy kick and not straying too far from your man.

Hibberd can, and obviously can go for the tougher kicks and switches as well, and is a much better at winning groundballs. If he is 100% fit you would have to have him in despite Hunts ability to run with a quick. May playing goal keeper probably stopped more goals than Hunt running with anyone.

I say all this as somone whos been a massive Hunt fan in the past, even argued against those who said he wasnt AFL standard last year and that I thought he could still be good as a backman. But you gotta go with what you see. His kicking just isn't good enough. We are clearly trying to play with a lot more ball control now rather than bombing it long, and he lets down the chain of possession too often.

I’m happy to go unchallenged but if Hibberd is ready to roll think it’s him for Hunt.. Thought Hunt was much better against st kilda apart from a couple of kicks but hibberd is a seriously good footballer and offers a better all round package..

The only way I can see Milkshake getting back in is if Fritta keeps kicking poorly for goal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No idea tactically but sh*t Gazza Lyon can nail a speech. Great job he did before the game and got the boys up and about before the game.

Motivationaly he would of made a great coach

Would love him in a part time role similar to what Lewis does for us. Keep him away from the administration though.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
No idea tactically but sh*t Gazza Lyon can nail a speech. Great job he did before the game and got the boys up and about before the game.

Motivationaly he would of made a great coach

Is their video of this, or it’s just been reported that he spoke to the team before the game?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Even if he was doing his job ok, there's no way in hell Hibberd couldn't do it 3x better at the moment.

Hibberd can also mark above his head something Hunt can't
This 100000% Hibberd was close to elite last year. Bounced back tremendously well during a tough year for him. Surely, surely he plays ahead of Hunt if fit! I get not wanting to change a winning side, but I have much more faith in Hibberd than Hunt because he's a much better footballer. I'm guessing we go in unchanged though..

Back