Channel 9 Australian Open Television Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

They must have some bizarre contractual obligations we are not aware of, there is no other reason why they would:

1. Dump the second station so soon
2. Show a boring match when there is an epic on another court.

they want you to use the app, so they can promote that their app had xx amount of users/views/traffic

Tsitspas had a shoe malfunction in his round 2 match on a break point. He was allowed time to change his shoes at 30-40. Someone needs to tell these commentators so they stop going on about how it never happens.

Presume it's already been discussed, but something needs to be done about their coverage. Official complaints need to be escalated. One channel showing quarters onwards when two matches are going on is pathetic, and cutting and changign between matches as if they think people are just tuning in to watch 'tennis' not a particular match is simply ridiculous. Didn't show any of Tomic-Cilic because Murray was playing (ok fair enough) but also showed Fed's whitewash of a nobody instead of an Aussie. Why give him the night match if there's going to be no TV coverage? If it's a Tomic issue, put Demon there and show him instead.

Was the same with the Sydney International week before last not even showing a single match at one point in the evening while Demon was playing.

It's atrocious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I understand the ratings have been great for Channel 9 but the Barty game finishing quickly last night meant a fair drop off early and I am sure the same tonight.

Tomorrow night holds plenty of interest which is good given it will be up against the Test Cricket.

They've been fine, haven't been too annoying (compared to C7), nor have they made any drastic changes to the broadcasting product. McEnroe is tolerable but definitely not your a-team, he definitely carries that USO slime with him. Hamish & (particularly) Andy have been shoved down our throats a bit, but generally the in-between segments aren't actively repellent. The C9 coverage broadcasters in-between matches clearly don't know their tennis for the most part, but tennis nous is non-essential in that role, they just need to get us up to speed on what is happening and then move on. Haven't been nauseating levels of hype.

so overall, has the Ch9 coverage been roughly the same/better/worse than Ch7?

I'd say better for the two weeks of the Australian Open. I thought overall it has been an improvement.

I thought there were less fluff pieces than what Seven had and I have liked some of the panel discussion.

I think the mix of commentators has been good, I am not a big fan of McEnroe but having him freed up Courier to do a bit more which I liked.

I liked how they used the International feed for some games as well. That just gave us some different commentators and perspectives and meant Nine could have a smaller team.

I think the hosts will get better having been through a full summer. I am bias but Tom Rehn who was meant to do mainly reporting has called a number of the smaller games and has done a really good job.

The programming is a no win situation, there were some strange decisions made but there could be other reasons for that.

It was no different to Seven but I think there second channel needed to stay on for a few more days.

I think outside of moving Tony Jones on they could do alot with the lead up events. I thought they really struggled all be it Sydney was difficult with the rain. Those weeks will change with the ATP Cup next season which may improve it.

I should add it helps if they have good matches to cover. I think they were lucky the first week but up until last night which rated really well they had matches that didn't really deliver.

They will be hoping De Minaur, Barty and Popyrin continue to improve and hope one makes it in deep into the second week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back