Strategy Chasing Greatness Fund

Remove this Banner Ad

They want $13m debt paid off in 5 years. They wouldnt expect all of it to be paid off via this fund and by members and fans. They would also be looking at corporates to contribute.

It's not an unreasonable figure to knock off - roughly 3M per year.

Would bet than an 11 game member is more likely to donate more coin than a 3 game member, and once you consider 11 game junior members (ie kids) you're probably looking at around 25k 11 game adult memberships as your target audience.

A small donation of as little as $50 per membership for those 25k equates to 1.25M, and I'd suggest im being rather conservative. I dont know how the fund is working, but if they are offering payment plans such as a $50 donation spread out over 10 months (like the football memberships are) makes it $5 a month than you dont even realise you're giving away.

Would also like to see a small button for online membership renewal saying "would you like to donate X amount per month to the fund? (To be debited from your nominated CC each month at the same time your membership payment is debited)."

Lastly, what are the benefits of being debt free? Our footy department is already fully funded so im unsure how it could affect on field performance. But I'm struggling I guess to see the big picture in all of this.

Am I right in saying that 60k members need to give 13 cents each per day to reach the 13mil target in 5 years?
Or 26 cents per day to reach the target in 2.5 years.
Or 52 cents per day to ditto ditto in 1.25 years.
Or $1.00 per day to ditto ditto in 2021 and prevent the target going from $13 million out to whatever.

Very underwhelming so far. Not well received by the fans I imagine.

View attachment 1131964

Understand the ‘too much, too soon’ aspect, but the time to launch something like this was circa 2014, when we had the best fan engagement and satisfaction levels ever achieved by a professional sports organisation in the history of human existence.

I’d have probably been giddy enough to part with a cool billion alone — as it happens, this is the first year I haven’t been part of the BF syndicate, and beyond my membership I couldn’t give a general toss.

It's not an unreasonable figure to knock off - roughly 3M per year.

Would bet than an 11 game member is more likely to donate more coin than a 3 game member, and once you consider 11 game junior members (ie kids) you're probably looking at around 25k 11 game adult memberships as your target audience.

A small donation of as little as $50 per membership for those 25k equates to 1.25M, and I'd suggest im being rather conservative. I dont know how the fund is working, but if they are offering payment plans such as a $50 donation spread out over 10 months (like the football memberships are) makes it $5 a month than you dont even realise you're giving away.

Would also like to see a small button for online membership renewal saying "would you like to donate X amount per month to the fund? (To be debited from your nominated CC each month at the same time your membership payment is debited)."

Lastly, what are the benefits of being debt free? Our footy department is already fully funded so im unsure how it could affect on field performance. But I'm struggling I guess to see the big picture in all of this.
The benefit of being debt-free is to stick our boot in the mouths of the Eddies of this football world, and put an end to AFL House looking down their Vic-centric noses and blocking us at every turn as we set about standing up for ourselves.

and a little minor hiccup called covid.
This scenario was in play before covid. We should’ve been debt free in 2017 having taken proper advantage of the Gui Guojie windfall. What this Fund is scrabbling about for is pocket money to him.

I admit I have more faith in Richo to right the ship than I ever did in KT and have pledged on the back of his vision. I take some comfort in the 6 month payout clause also.
You have warmed the cockledivers of Richo’s heart. He sees every post on this (and other) thread/s.

You have warmed the cockledivers of Richo’s heart. He sees every post on this (and other) thread/s.
Makes you wonder how seriously the inner sanctum takes the dissatisfaction at Kern the diehards among their constituency have?

Outwardly not very, which is disappointing because we were the ones sitting in the near empty AAMI watching a hapless Richmond smash us during our 140th not the next-gen pro Ken happy clappers who will evaporate into nothingness after half a season of Primus era Derp...

Makes you wonder how seriously the inner sanctum takes the dissatisfaction at Kern the diehards among their constituency have?

Outwardly not very, which is disappointing because we were the ones sitting in the near empty AAMI watching a hapless Richmond smash us during our 140th not the next-gen pro Ken happy clappers who will evaporate into nothingness after half a season of Primus era Derp...
Yes, mate. I know from where you are coming.

I feel guilty having been a Port supporter since 1954, the first of the six-in-a-row, having been away since 1971, and only jumping on board financially in 1994 while living in Sydney briefly, then really jumping on board from HK at the end of 2012 upon the demise of Primus and Duncanson and the parachuting in of Koch & Co. (don’t mention Cardone) and the last man standing pantomime of Our Ken ... ... ...

I still feel guilty. We gave it a good shot re China ... ... ...

Yet I’m not giving up. I’m not keeping quiet.

Clearly it's the total spend they are showing here, but when you try and pledge $30p/m it shows a figure of $1560 ??

It'll confuse some people. Needs to be some clarity I think...

View attachment 1128109

I went for a one-off payment so that I can claim it all in this year's tax return and even though I clicked the one payment button the total still showed 52 x the amount I wanted to donate. I had to divide my donation amount by 52 to arrive at the right total. The confirmation email I got looks all good, but I'll be keeping a close eye on my credit card in a month's time to make sure I don't get hit for the same amount again :drunk:

I've said it before - we are Tottenham Hotspur.

Or West Torrens. Back in the day even before my time, before the nonsense of “Woodville” destroyed their zone, when they seem to have been this club that promised lots and delivered... less... when finals came around.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

I went for a one-off payment so that I can claim it all in this year's tax return and even though I clicked the one payment button the total still showed 52 x the amount I wanted to donate. I had to divide my donation amount by 52 to arrive at the right total. The confirmation email I got looks all good, but I'll be keeping a close eye on my credit card in a month's time to make sure I don't get hit for the same amount again :drunk:

Would be... beyond disappointed... if we tried that “make payments recurring by default” Trump scam!

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why, what leverage do we have?

The SMA manage Adelaide Oval. We are just a tenant with a stadium agreement to play AFL games there. Us having a reserves team in the SNAFL or not has no bearing whatsoever on that agreement.
What the hell does the SANFL even bring to the table anyway? Especially if we’re no longer in their comp

Yes, mate. I know from where you are coming.

I feel guilty having been a Port supporter since 1954, the first of the six-in-a-row, having been away since 1971, and only jumping on board financially in 1994 while living in Sydney briefly, then really jumping on board from HK at the end of 2012 upon the demise of Primus and Duncanson and the parachuting in of Koch & Co. (don’t mention Cardone) and the last man standing pantomime of Our Ken ... ... ...

I still feel guilty. We gave it a good shot re China ... ... ...

Yet I’m not giving up. I’m not keeping quiet.
Honestly I think this is the important element, echo chambers are all G when you've won 3 of the last 4.

I don't know much about Edmond Burke past his statement of " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" now I'm not saying its as bad as all that but the point remains, disagreement is healthy and necessary in any high functioning organisation

On the subject of Ken it seems our leaders have succumb to group think or Koch think, we need more 'good men' or in this day and age ''good people'' keep at it LR..

Honestly I think this is the important element, echo chambers are all G when you've won 3 of the last 4.

I don't know much about Edmond Burke past his statement of " The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" now I'm not saying its as bad as all that but the point remains, disagreement is healthy and necessary in any high functioning organisation

On the subject of Ken it seems our leaders have succumb to group think or Koch think, we need more 'good men' or in this day and age ''good people'' keep at it LR..
Thanks mate.

I shall indeed keep at it.

My best is yet to come.

What the hell does the SANFL even bring to the table anyway? Especially if we’re no longer in their comp
They bring absolutely nothing. They have been gifted a share of Adelaide Oval revenue and control of Adelaide Oval during footy season by the state government as part of the deal to get AFL games moved from West Lakes.

It has nothing to do with being in their comp and never has. It is about the AFL and where AFL games in SA can be played.

So the AFL owns port right? And the AFL is essentially financially liable for all 18 teams and the comp in general?

and the VFL would have gone under if not for the licenses of the Eagles and Bears. Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton and Geelong were or are all heavily debt ridden. GWS and the Suns will never pay of the debts they have incurred.

So why is Port doing this? Won’t Port paying of this ‘debt’, which it has got from the AFL, which owns Port anyway, just go back into the general AFL funds?

If we are asking our members’ to give over cash, surely it’s better that we invest in things that will reduce our operating costs or create a revenue stream. Not give our members cash directly to the AFL, so it can then fund AFLX, GWS or its next stupid, poorly thought out idea.

More broadly, Port has its largest membership base ever. Has good sponsors. Has a home base that it owns. Gets solid crowds every week and is generally performing well with ok TV and local coverage. It has good community reach and does a lot of good. Our players are some of the most visible and well known that we have ever had. We even had a foray into China. So why, if things are so good, are we bouncing along breaking even or making a loss? There is something inherently wrong here if a mid to upper sized club can’t make a profit when so much is going right.

So the AFL owns port right? And the AFL is essentially financially liable for all 18 teams and the comp in general?

and the VFL would have gone under if not for the licenses of the Eagles and Bears. Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton and Geelong were or are all heavily debt ridden. GWS and the Suns will never pay of the debts they have incurred.

So why is Port doing this? Won’t Port paying of this ‘debt’, which it has got from the AFL, which owns Port anyway, just go back into the general AFL funds?

If we are asking our members’ to give over cash, surely it’s better that we invest in things that will reduce our operating costs or create a revenue stream. Not give our members cash directly to the AFL, so it can then fund AFLX, GWS or its next stupid, poorly thought out idea.

More broadly, Port has its largest membership base ever. Has good sponsors. Has a home base that it owns. Gets solid crowds every week and is generally performing well with ok TV and local coverage. It has good community reach and does a lot of good. Our players are some of the most visible and well known that we have ever had. We even had a foray into China. So why, if things are so good, are we bouncing along breaking even or making a loss? There is something inherently wrong here if a mid to upper sized club can’t make a profit when so much is going right.
The AFL control Port, they don't own it. If they took the AFL licence away, the PAFC would still exist and the club via its members own the assets it has, not the AFL. We would have to find a new competition to play footy.

How many national supermarket chains are there. Home many national health insurance companies are there? How many national petrol retailers are there? How many national companies are there that can build a skyscraper? How many national telco companies are there with their own infrastructure?

Australia's market and population size means we are naturally an oligopoly market ie 2-5 major national players.

If the AFL was a true capitalist competition, only 6 to 8 teams would survive.

Only 4 clubs are currently bullet proof in the AFL and don't need the AFL's help.

WCE have 100,000 members, first benefited from a demand and supply imbalance at Subi oval and then from a 15+ year mining boom in WA - thanks to iron ore, natural gas, gold and China - and being an effective state team. Plus they have had sustained success over the last 20 years.

Richmond have 100,000 members, paid off their debt 10 years ago, got sustained success and the latent Tiger army were awoken and re-engaged after 25 years of stagnant administration and on field results. Plus they had sustained success for the last 9 years.

Collingwood have 80,000 members, have plenty of exposure to attract national and international brands and have made sustained profits and made a massive windfall when selling their pokies a couple of years ago and built a $17m future fund, which they had to dip into last year. Plus they have had sustained success for 15 of the last 20 years.

Hawthorn have 80,000 members, almost went broke, but all their on field success saved them unlike South Melbourne and Fitzroy, Ian Dicker used his cheque book, the long term lease at Waverley meant they got a huge pay out and free assets from the AFL and then in 2010 borrowed $12m to buy their Caroline Springs pub/entertainment and pokie venue paid bugger all for the pokies and have generated $3m to $5m profit a year from this venue for 7 or 8 years before Covid. Plus they had sustained success for 12 seasons between 2007 to 2018.

The above 4 clubs drew down on large cash reserves as well as make big cuts to survive covid.

Essendon used to be bullet proof but not playing most of their home games at the MCG and maxing out their crowds, saw them slip down the financial ladder, and the Drugs scandal has hurt them badly. But they are back to 80,000 members and are financially stable again. They haven't had any real success for 17 years doesn't help.

Geelong are close to being bullet proof thanks to a combo stadium deal, 60,000 members and so much on field success. Whist they got the first 4 stages of Kardinia Park heavily subsidised by 3 levels of government and the final stage 5 fully funded by the Vic government, they have had to go and borrow monies contributing about $13mil to the first 4 stages and had to borrow most of that. Its why Brian Cook said they can't afford to bottom out. But once stage 5 is built and fully sold out membership and corporates they will be bullet proof.

Fremantle were close to becoming bullet proof with the demand and supply imbalance at Subi and being able to charge a premium for memberships and corporates in a booming WA economy. But Perth Stadium extra capacity has seen them loose this advantage they had at Subi.

Adelaide are wannabes. They had almost a poor decade post GFC, after having a monopoly for 6 seasons and nearly 20 years of high profitability. The stadium deal at Footy Park hurt them as the AFL fixed up stadium deals in Victoria and around the league. They went and borrowed from the bank rather than AFL to get thru last year.

First thing Port should do is not count the 8,000 AOSMA Football members in our total. Its pointless saying we have 57,000 members but 8,000 are AOSMA Football members but we will count 2,250 in the AFL audited total. Just exclude them from our membership total and only count those people who have bought a Port membership.

The difference between a good year and a bad year on field for an AFL club is $2mil+ revenue. If you are a cyclical club rather than a club that has the structure to be bullet proof then that's the difference between a smallish profit and a big loss.

Port is a cyclical club and will be for a decent length of time. We need 10 years of sustained success to get out of the s**t.

Last edited:
Heard it before

Un portadelaide like...
This once proud club would never keep a coach this long without premiership success. Just shows the clubs priorities skewed. They won’t, reduce anything unless they get past the smoke and mirrors of China (failure) and grandiose branding stunts. Fundamentals first then debt reduction and then the other stuff

Move on long term none performers and bringing in new blood from the President down to the head coach will bring the financial increases

Is the club still committed to this program or have they dropped it like a sack of s**t?

Just notice by $10 monthly contribution has gone through.

Donations as of 2/06/21.

P.S. There's that bloody number again, someone needs to research the numerology of 119 as it keeps coming up on so many random things.

1622635807229.png

Month OfDonorsMonthly InputTotalPercentage Of Target $13M
May 202192$44,027.00$44,027.000.34%
June 2021119$149,019.00$193,046.001.15%

Last edited:
Is the club still committed to this program or have they dropped it like a sack of sh*t?

Just notice by $10 monthly contribution has gone through.

Donations as of 2/06/21.

P.S. There's that bloody number again, someone needs to research the numerology of 119 as it keeps coming up on so many random things.

View attachment 1144752

Month OfDonorsMonthly InputTotalPercentage Of Target $13M
May 202192$44,027.00$44,027.000.34%
June 2021119$149,019.00$193,046.001.15%
Maybe you just notice it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back