China bans beards, veils from Xinjiang city's buses in security bid

Remove this Banner Ad

too dangerous for them...they're terrified of the Uyghur population. Kashgar is virtually impossible for a Westerner or Han to visit, you simply cannot get accommodation, and if you do you will be blocked out from booking.

The CPC do not want westerners there at all.
Sounds like a big Muslim enclave.

A great pity, I always wanted to visit Xinjiang, in particular Kashgar.
too dangerous for them...they're terrified of the Uyghur population. Kashgar is virtually impossible for a Westerner or Han to visit, you simply cannot get accommodation, and if you do you will be blocked out from booking.

The CPC do not want westerners there at all.

Whilst there is some truth to that (at least in that context), I personally would not like to be in charge of Xinjiang. CCP are certainly partly responsible for the current predicament (Han transmigration, some previous religious repression, especially in Cultural Revolution, etc), but the geostrategic position of Xinjiang and the recent centuries of political instability, ethnic cleansing and more recent regional Islamist concerns just have developed that troublesome ethnic minority border area into a manager's hellhole. The CCP can't win here, and with policies like banning beards, can only lose.

I've always wanted to visit Xinjiang as well, but as long as Urumqi is the Belfast of China, I'll definitely be staying away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back