Clarke vs McGlynn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
It won't get any airtime or media discussion in Victoria but in the Dockers v Swans game there was a collision between Zac Clarke and Ben McGlynn that left McGlynn with a head injury and Zac Clarke reported.

If you get the chance to see it, its an interesting one and it'll be interesting to see how the MRP handle it.

Basically two players running head on from totally different directions. One 204cm and one 172cm. They both arrive at the ball at the same time. Clarke arrives on his feet bending to gather the ball. McGlynn arrives diving head first. They collide. Obviously the contact is between Clarkes hands and legs and McGlynns hands and head. Neither takes possesion of the ball.

Whats your call? Is there a free kick to either player? Is there a free kick plus a 50m penalty? Do you lay a report? And if so, what for?

McGlynn attempted to take Clarke out in the process, I re-watched the replay a few times at the game and as he made contact, he wrappred at least one of his arms around clarke's legs, attempting to pull him down as he slid through him.

McGlynn should be reported for tripping IMHO

JKS

Sniper!

No case to answer, unfortunate incident where there was contact between one player's head & the other's knee.

Its not reckless or intentional & there was no malice in it at all, the kid Clarke should have nothing to worry about.... however it is the MRP:rolleyes:

As i've said before

No report, free kick as one player went down to pick up the ball and the other did not. The player going for the ball gets the protection of the rule.
there was similer one in the Melbourne Hawks game today with less impact, no injury and no report.

Clarke should be fine to touch up the Hawks lack of height next week.

Other incidents assessed:
The match day report laid against Fremantle’s Zac Clarke for engaging in rough conduct against the Sydney Swans’ Ben McGlynn was assessed. The panel said contact was both players were moving towards the ball to contest for possession and McGlynn lunged forward to take the ball. Contact was made by Clarke’s leg and it was the view of the panel the Fremantle player was seeking to win the ball and his actions weren’t seen as a reportable offence. No further action was taken

And rightly so

McGlynn attempted to take Clarke out in the process, I re-watched the replay a few times at the game and as he made contact, he wrappred at least one of his arms around clarke's legs, attempting to pull him down as he slid through him.

McGlynn should be reported for tripping IMHO

JKS

Sniper!

You are perhaps the most ordinary human on this forum - and that takes some effort.

You are perhaps the most ordinary human on this forum - and that takes some effort.

:D Please highlight the blank line in my post and you'll see that was all in jest

He did wrap his arms around Clarke's legs though - I don't think there was any malice but it did happen

If Clarke had of been suspended it would amount to being charged with being a big clumsy ruckman. When a little bloke dives head first at the feet of a ruckman and gets collected, well thems the breaks. Absolutely no case to answer as has been adjudicated by the MRP for a change.

If Clarke had of been suspended it would amount to being charged with being a big clumsy ruckman. When a little bloke dives head first at the feet of a ruckman and gets collected, well thems the breaks. Absolutely no case to answer as has been adjudicated by the MRP for a change.

But how inept is the umpire if he couldn't understand that?

It was obvious to all and sundry and yet not to the ump! Why?

Is he absolutely, shockingly useless at his job or was he biased in his view of it? I guess the other scenario is that he didn't actually see it properly and just guessed at what happened but normally they leave it and lodge the report after the game or allow the MRP to pick it up.

Everyone knew he had no case to answer for but if the ump didn't report it we would all be saying it's inconsistent and aww what happened to protecting the head etc. etc.
besides, the umpires boss was watching the game, you'd think it would just assert that even more.

Besides, does it matter now?

PS Who is this mcglynn you all speak of?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone knew he had no case to answer for but if the ump didn't report it we would all be saying it's inconsistent and aww what happened to protecting the head etc. etc.
No we wouldn't, that's what the MRP is for. There is no reason for umpires to report players anymore.

For what it's worth, it shouldn't have even been a free kick. You shouldn't get a free for diving in to another player head first.

:D Please highlight the blank line in my post and you'll see that was all in jest

He did wrap his arms around Clarke's legs though - I don't think there was any malice but it did happen

Hilarious. The bloke is sitting in hospital with three plates in his face and you're "jokingly" calling him a sniper.

There's a job as gag writer for the Chaser crew with your name on it.

Hilarious. The bloke is sitting in hospital with three plates in his face and you're "jokingly" calling him a sniper.

There's a job as gag writer for the Chaser crew with your name on it.

It's a serious issue though - players dropping to the ground and sliding at players standing up in the contest, trying to take their legs out, get taken high and win a free

We've seen McPhee do it Masten, Embley to it to Tarrant and McGlynn do it to Clarke

If Clark was more than happy to simply bend over and pick up the ball as a 200cm ruckman, why was McGlynn going to ground to get the ball?

Even if he had got the ball, Clarke simply had to drop to ground and tackle him?

McGlynn had a duty of care not just for Clarke but for his own safety as well - it's as bad as deliberately ducking in to a tacke - you can seriously hurt yourself

Because he was further away from the ball and dived to cover ground?

He also knew doing this had a strong chance of getting a free kick

It p**ses me off how players keep doing that - especially when the player they slide in to has done nothing wrong

It's essentially the same as ducking in to a tackle to get a free except it doesn't just endanger yourself - you could also end up taking the other player out and injure them (as with Tarrant and Masten)

If Clarke was a little bit shorter or he was on one leg in motion he could've ended up missing longer the McGlynn

I'm not saying it was intentional but there's a duty of care - whether it be for other players safety or your own

Yeah, okay. What are your thoughts on hangers?

Huge grey area there >.<

It can go both ways with speckies as well:

a) player A leaps on player B, doesn't mark - player B gets free
b) player B leaps on player A, doesn't mark due to player B ducking out of the way so player A falls awkwardly

Then there's cases of players spoiling by getting as high as they can when the ball is in their backline

Different situation to players diving in to draw the free - but yes, i can see where your coming from with the grey area in both of the instances - though players diving in is less so than players jumping over the top of packs to mark/spoil

Remove this Banner Ad

Back