Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

This is different.

This is not a car park hand over like Kennedy=Parkin.

Or a brain injury for Jeans. And a back to back commitment with Joyce.

Or a loss to another club like Judge.

Or just a petering out, like Schwab and Knights.

But even then, all of the incoming coaches had clean hands.

Clarkson compared himself to Hird (drugs) and Eddie (cancel culture) in his press conference on Friday... imagine Clarkson saying he got done like Hird?

We have lost Kennedy and Jeans and Arthur. Now we have lost Clarkson. And we have lost his connection to the club post coaching *he might as well be deceased to us now... until his old age golden years when he come home to us.

You should mourn FlinchFree. Mourn and be angry. This is not worthy of Hawthorn.

This is not the time to be saying to the club... "well done". Or.... "oh, well"... Or... "what have we really lost on balance?"..

And I guarantee our culture is not immune. And if it is immune then it is also way overrated.

On Culture, yes it's not good, hopefully this won't need to happen again in the future.

However I think it's a little bit premature to says we'll lost it. Some says that what happened at the moment is like a very ugly divorced marriage.

Needed time to heal the wound, effort to mend the broken relationship and new people to strengthen the culture again.

We are setting the benchmark really high, Luke Hodge leadership/Captaincy and now Clarko's legacy. No it wasn't the W-L record, but how he stirred the club during challenging time.

Anyway we'll see how it goes, it will be a bumpy road but we're in this together(I hope).

Every time i think it about it....

We had the privilege of having 15 years of Clarkson,

And

We also lost the privilege of having 30 years of Clarkson and being really really spoiled supporters

How do you jettison the coach that every other club is now bending over backwards to get... and who was the main link in our cultural fabric right when that fabric was at a weak point

Or, potentially, we avoided watching Clarkson’s time at Hawthorn peter out like Sheedy’s did at Essendon. We all know how well they have recovered since then.

17 years is a long time to have someone in charge. Is it at all possible that this is best for both Clarkson and Hawthorn?

Or, potentially, we avoided watching Clarkson’s time at Hawthorn peter out like Sheedy’s did at Essendon. We all know how well they have recovered since then.

17 years is a long time to have someone in charge. Is it at all possible that this is best for both Clarkson and Hawthorn?

The Sheedy-like decline had started, the results over the last few years are undeniable.

Though the question will forever be could he have turned it around?

I didn't say the Club has 'done well' though this.
It's done poorly.
But seemingly unlike you I've seen plenty done poorly before at the HFC, and we've fixed things up as we could and moved forward.
That's what I choose to do.
Also, the potting of Mitchell I think is really disappointing.
Until we hear otherwise, he's the least at fault in this process outside of doing his job well enough to be wanted by numerous AFL Clubs as a coach.
Kennett's not really a Hawthorn person, I don't really care people shredding him.
Sam. He's been every bit as important to our most recent period of success as Clarko and has every bit as much Brown and Gold running through his veins. Until PROVED he manipulated all this to his favor, it's poor to offload disappointment over Clarko leaving onto his back.

I wasn't actually "quoting you" in my post.

But based on your posts.. I reckon I actually captured you with "what have we really lost on balance".

But still not declaring it is a quote.

Sheedy was a pre-professional era coach.. who was much older and had entered a new era 40 years beyond his youth

Clarkon is still cutting edge. Still a tactical leader. The WB copied his game plan last week against the D's. etc

There wasn't a bidding war for sheedy when he left the scum

Last edited:
Couldn't agree less. The Culture of this Club was changed forever by John Kennedy. The fact he's no longer with us has no impact. You are equating Clarko with ALL good that's ever happened here. Plenty of people have done just as much or more.

If Jeff has terrified you that's a shame. I just see him as an arrogant dufus.

Lol at your last sentence above. Michell can't succeed. If he does it's no good for the Club.
Just wow.

in the words of Peter Garrett… short memory, must have a short memory (remember the problems our playing group had), and remember Clarkson giving the culture a reboot?

I sure do.

Culture is organic, it can be underpinned by Kennedy’s philosophy, but still be succepitble to nefarious types and serial bozos.

in the words of Peter Garrett… short memory, must have a short memory (remember the problems our playing group had), and remember Clarkson giving the culture a reboot?

I sure do.

Culture is organic, it can be underpinned by Kennedy’s philosophy, but still be succepitble to nefarious types and serial bozos.

Jeff - President
Reeves - 5 year contract

They now have more power to control the direction of the club than anyone.

Sam... who has lost all political capital and can't risk burning his coaching career... has little power in the club until Jeff is gone and he has some success.

Our cultural hangover from this is really unresolved.

It is not like a Dunstall-Clarkson pact in 2004

I think we have put our culture in jeopardy. Right at a time when we have lost so many of our cultural leaders in Jeans, Kennedy, Arhur... they are all passed now.

Whatever Clarkson represented.... it just doesn't seem to be embraced by Sam... based on how Sam took the job...

Sam knew Jeff had pushed Clarko out.... but Sam didn't resist it.
I just don’t know how you come to the things that you do so strongly, in the face of so much counter evidence.

Everyone was acting for themselves.. Jeff, Sam, the board, the fans who let it happen. The Hawthorn podcasts that reported on the issue like it was a surplus without any cuts to their benefits. (Hawlktalkpod and Talking Hawks)

In Clarkson We Trust

View attachment 1191819
This post makes no sense.

I just don’t know how you come to the things that you do so strongly, in the face of so much counter evidence.

You have celebrated the succession as a triumph of the club. How have you come to the things you have so strongly said over the last two weeks that have now been proven false?

You have celebrated the succession as a triumph of the club. How have you come to the things you have so strongly said over the last two weeks that have now been proven false?
I follow the HFC, not the Clarkson football club.

Seems that’s how you and I differ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I follow the HFC, not the Clarkson football club.

Seems that’s how you and I differ.
One can follow the HFC and think the club’s leadership, governance and decision making has been utterly incompetent, and have concerns for the future as a result.

If I recall you suggested the club would not be so unprofessional as to implement the misguided mid contract succession plan when Linda CRS first mentioned it, then praised the succession plan and dismissed the accurate media reporting that it couldn’t and wouldn’t work.

I follow the club. But this has been a most appalling, dishonest, embarrassing and unprofessional display. While those responsible for it remain in charge I have no confidence of the club steadying the ship.

I am relieved by yesterday as embarrassing as it is because I thought all along the succession couldn’t work and a lame duck coach in 2022 was a waste of a year. But those responsible for the entire debacle must be held to account. They do not deserve our blind faith because we follow the club. In fact it’s the opposite

Excuse moi

I’m trying to remember from years ago when Clarkson was brought on to coach, before all the Premierships - did Kennett want someone else, and get overruled by Dunstall? Can anyone remember?
Kennett was not president.

I sure do.

clarko is the equal, at least. three great men among an array of very fine leaders at the club generally

Sheedy was a pre-professional era coach.. who was much older and had entered a new era 40 years beyond his youth

Clarkon is still cutting edge. Still a tactical leader. The WB copied his game plan last week against the D's. etc

There wasn't a bidding war for sheedy when he left the scum
I do see your point and I agree Clarkson will probably be successful elsewhere. That doesn’t mean though that he would have been successful at Hawthorn again. Fact is, look at our last five years and you will see a club slowly drifting into irrelevance. Clarkson has been a key driver behind horrendous list decisions along the lines of Vickery, Patton, Scully not to mention the decisions to trade away a bunch of first and second round draft picks. So let’s not pretend we are letting go of a coach that has put our list in a great position over recent years.

One can follow the HFC and think the club’s leadership, governance and decision making has been utterly incompetent, and have concerns for the future as a result.

If I recall you suggested the club would not be so unprofessional as to implement the misguided mid contract succession plan when Linda CRS first mentioned it, then praised the succession plan and dismissed the accurate media reporting that it couldn’t and wouldn’t work.

I follow the club. But this has been a most appalling, dishonest, embarrassing and unprofessional display. While those responsible for it remain in charge I have no confidence of the club steadying the ship.

I am relieved by yesterday as embarrassing as it is because I thought all along the succession couldn’t work and a lame duck coach in 2022 was a waste of a year. But those responsible for the entire debacle must be held to account. They do not deserve our blind faith because we follow the club. In fact it’s the opposite

‘at the very least it’s given Sammy a very unfortunate start as senior coach

I would go one step further,,, Not only should the people responsible be fired...but they should also have no say in who replaces them.

Jeff can't pick the next president.

Sam only has a chance at the HFC if he gets to choose most of the board and help choose the next president.

I also don't mind if Reeves goes in the process.

Sam is so damaged he needs a really united team based on Hawthorn values.

I do see your point and I agree Clarkson will probably be successful elsewhere. That doesn’t mean though that he would have been successful at Hawthorn again. Fact is, look at our last five years and you will see a club slowly drifting into irrelevance. Clarkson has been a key driver behind horrendous list decisions along the lines of Vickery, Patton, Scully not to mention the decisions to trade away a bunch of first and second round draft picks. So let’s not pretend we are letting go of a coach that has put our list in a great position over recent years.

that could have been said about schwab, but then we saw the regeneration of the list started under his watch

I would go one step further,,, Not only should the people responsible be fired...but they should also have no say in who replaces them.

Jeff can't pick the next president.

Sam only has a chance at the HFC if he gets to choose most of the board and help choose the next president.

I also don't mind if Reeves goes in the process.

Sam is so damaged he needs a really united team based on Hawthorn values.

‘it’s much worse than what Garvey resigned over, and all the things Jeff promised on his return, they haven’t happened either.

if Garvey had to go, so should Jeff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back