Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

Long time lurker. Used to post on here many eons ago. Felt compelled to re- join Bigfooty to express my thoughts on Clarkson.

I feel genuinely gutted that we as a club, Hawthorn has done this to a club and AFL legend Alastair Clarkson. He has contributed so much to the Hawks and the general AFL landscape. His tactical nous alone had forced the AFL muppets to change the rules to try and hinder the Hawks dominance in our glory years.

I don't entirely disagree about the changing of the guard but think like many on here do, the handling of it was terribly poor. That is no way to treat a Hawk icon. Alastair Clarkson has single handledly delivered almost 1/3 of the Hawthorn Hawks premierships.
Now, sit back and let that sink in...

My take:

We wanted him to take another gig to avoid the payout. Hence succession announcement to buy time for this.

He wanted his payout.

Leaks started. I've got my views from where. Most likely the Clarko camp, to force the payout.

Payout comes, and he'll walk to another club.

I'd be staggered if he's not coaching elsewhere next year. Staggered.
You suggesting he'll get the pay out from HFC AND be coaching next year on full pay (somewhere else)?

Can a coach sign a contract with another club when they are already contracted? Why would the club him payout then?
No, serious breach of contract with some serious consequences. His manager would also lose accreditation.

To all the posters saying the culture is ruined at our club, what a load of crap. Have a listen to the way Clarkson ( who effectively had just been sacked ) talked about the club and the fact that the players (supposedly) voiced there concerns about the succession plan. Culture is driven by the players and coaches not presidents and CEOs. If the culture was ruined the players wouldn’t of given a toss and said anything about there concerns and the coach wouldn’t of come out and spoken the way he did about the club.
I think what people are forgetting in all of this is that although the AFL is a sport it is also a very lucrative business that makes a lot of money and all the clubs in the AFL are business’s as well that make alot of money. That’s where the CEO and presidents come into play, they need to make sure the business is profitable and if your not playing finals or have promising kids coming through that look like they will get you playing finals, then memberships will start going down, crowds at games will start going down, the club start getting shitty time slots for games etc.
The thing is as much as Clarkson is an icon of not only the Hawks but the AFL, change need to happen and it was the right decision ( just got done a bit messy).

You are quite correct with that statement however the club lost its way in the 90s and the culture of the place was a basket case. It took a player who was coached by John Kennedy to bring that culture back into the club.

Building and maintaining culture is hard. Destroying culture is easy. What we have done is made it harder for Sam.

I have a tough time with your describing of the club and culture in the 90's as lost.
Teams still played hard.
90' finished 5th with 14 wins/8 losses - played finals
91' finished 2nd with 16 wins/6 losses - Won a grand final.
92' finished 5th with 14 wins/8 losses - played finals
93' finished 4th with 13 wins/7 losses - played finals
94' finished 6th with 13 wins/9 losses - played finals
95' finished 15th with 7 wins/15 losses
96' finished 8th with 11 wins/10 losses /1 draw - played finals
97' finished 15th with 8 wins/14 losses
98' finished 13th with 8 wins/14 losses
99' finished 9th with 10 wins/11 losses / 1 draw

We gradually just bled elite talent over the 90's and our performances mirrored that.
I never thought the Club's playing group or coaches had turned up it's toes, even with the merger stuff going on. It wasn't a winning culture to be sure, but plenty of those kids gave everything they had...just wasn't enough.
It was our management that thought the new age of AFL and competing with interstate teams backed by an entire state's supporters, the wealth that created, the pathways for players to remain in those states instead of coming to Hawthorn, and the AFL's love affair with merging and relocating teams to create stronger financially backed ones that drove a desperate group of Hawk people to go down that road. Thankfully, they failed.

TBH, I've seen more games with less endeavor shown by players and a team lacking real intent in the last couple years than I saw at that time.

My take anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s totally played Jeff and co.

I reckon first preference was to be extended but once that ship sailed he moved to forcing a negotiated payout that didn’t rely on him not coaching next year.

he will be at Carlton next year, guaranteed. Maybe collingwood but inferior list, wright and board turmoil.

yesterday was a PR masterclass from clarko. I don’t believe a word coming out of anyone’s mouth.

I don’t blame clarko. They’ve screwed him. Jeff has to take the fall. Come on chief dunstall - time to step up.

The more I read, the more I feel this is Clarko’s fault. It sounds like he essentially said he wanted an arrangement that would see him extended beyond end of 22. The club (rightly so, given the current ladder position and Clarko’s inability to generate results out of his list management strategy), have said we can’t guarantee that.

This has led to serious discussions, with Clarko’s position becoming untenable in the eyes of some.

Had Clarko not pushed, and had the Collingwood position not been Sam’s to say no to, then this wouldn’t have happened. Unfortunately, both of those things happened, and it led to this shitty situation.

At the end of the day I think we got the right outcome. Though the prices was rubbish.

Said this 3 weeks ago.

what club entices someone back to the club with a wink wink “you will be the next coach” with no timeline in place for the current coach or potential new one .

Did we expect Sam to coach at Box Hill for the next 10 years until Clarko said “I have had enough”

Why did Clarko force the board to make a decision now when he has a contract in place? This makes no sense at all. If you are committed to a job and are contracted for the next 18 months on big money you don’t worry if your under study wants to progress his career elsewhere in the meantime.

Yup.
My take is Clarko made this happen.
He knew he wasn't getting renewed as early as last year, had a poor working relationship with JK and Reeves, could see they weren't going anywhere, and decided he wanted to leave with as much payout he could and used the leverage at his disposal.
Not his shining moment for mine.

Long time lurker. Used to post on here many eons ago. Felt compelled to re- join Bigfooty to express my thoughts on Clarkson.

I feel genuinely gutted that we as a club, Hawthorn has done this to a club and AFL legend Alastair Clarkson. He has contributed so much to the Hawks and the general AFL landscape. His tactical nous alone had forced the AFL muppets to change the rules to try and hinder the Hawks dominance in our glory years.

I don't entirely disagree about the changing of the guard but think like many on here do, the handling of it was terribly poor. That is no way to treat a Hawk icon. Alastair Clarkson has single handledly delivered almost 1/3 of the Hawthorn Hawks premierships.
Now, sit back and let that sink in...

A lot of that has merit. Of course it's 100% wrong to say he single handedly delivered those flags though.

HFC would only have to pay the difference in salary if he coaches elsewhere next year
I would have thought that the difference would only count towards our soft cap. Unless it is written in his contract like that, which would be strange for someone to accept.

I would have thought that the difference would only count towards our soft cap. Unless it is written in his contract like that, which would be strange for someone to accept.
I don’t know how the soft cap works.
From what I’ve read , if he goes to another club and earns say 800k a year, then Hawthorn would only have to pay him out 100k (ie 900k - 800k) .
If that is wrong , somebody correct me..

I don’t know how the soft cap works.
From what I’ve read , if he goes to another club and earns say 800k a year, then Hawthorn would only have to pay him out 100k (ie 900k - 800k) .
If that is wrong , somebody correct me..

heard somewhere this morning / yesterday (Pickering?) that the negotiation means he gets the full whack regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back