Clarkson - if not now, when?

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes you wonder with that many high draft picks and success why Carlton, Melbourne and GC haven't won a premiership yet

You also need to look at what pick Mitchell was and Burgoyne came in after 2008

Hey, don't get me wrong - Clarkson deserves all the credit he gets. Totally.

Not everyone could do what he did. Exceptional.

However, he hasn't polished a turd. Which is now what he's going to have to do to.

Hey, don't get me wrong - Clarkson deserves all the credit he gets. Totally.

Not everyone could do what he did. Exceptional.

However, he hasn't polished a turd. Which is now what he's going to have to do to.

So which coach has polished the turd

None, really.

That's kind of my point. Not a knock on Clarko - just a reality check that his brilliant resume to date doesn't mean he'll sort the current situation out. As some suggest it will.
Please, the situation that he took over as coach in 2005 is massively worse than what it is now. He took over a club with no direction or culture and turned them into one of the most revered clubs of the modern era. And if you're talking about draft picks, outside of the buddy, rough, lewis draft they butchered most others. He's a special coach and the hawks know it.

Please, the situation that he took over as coach in 2005 is massively worse than what it is now. He took over a club with no direction or culture and turned them into one of the most revered clubs of the modern era. And if you're talking about draft picks, outside of the buddy, rough, lewis draft they butchered most others. He's a special coach and the hawks know it.
The situation being worse, is open to interpretation.

One thing that is for certain, that his/the clubs decisions in the past 6 months certainly haven't made the job easier.

None, really.

That's kind of my point. Not a knock on Clarko - just a reality check that his brilliant resume to date doesn't mean he'll sort the current situation out. As some suggest it will.
So surely hawthorn would stick with him until such time as the list is able to challenge again.

Makes you wonder with that many high draft picks and success why Carlton, Melbourne and GC haven't won a premiership yet

You also need to look at what pick Mitchell was and Burgoyne came in after 2008

They didn't have a good coach (i.e Clarkson) and a good football department that could pick the good players from a draft and develop them properly.

Never-the-less every decent Coach, no matter how talented, still relies heavily on the quality of his cattle out on the park. You need all those aforementioned ingredients (coach, players, football department) to succeed. Just having a good coach with run of the mill players is no-where near enough.

I'll watch with great interest what Clarkson can achieve when he doesn't have quality footballers at his disposal.

They didn't have a good coach (i.e Clarkson) and a good football department that could pick the good players from a draft and develop them properly.

Never-the-less every decent Coach, no matter how talented, still relies heavily on the quality of his cattle out on the park. You need all those aforementioned ingredients (coach, players, football department) to succeed. Just having a good coach with run of the mill players is no-where near enough.

I'll watch with great interest what Clarkson can achieve when he doesn't have quality footballers at his disposal.

Just as the cats did there is still a small core to build around Mitchell, JOM (jury out), Roughead, Gunston, smith, Shiels and burton and brand already show loads of promise. It's what comes behind that group and how much upside and development there might be in them and then whether they can get back into the first and second round picks that will determine whether he is going to have enough to do a total rebuild with. Only time and patience will tell

Cats seem to have balanced the old and the new perfectly - good trading as well as good drafting

Similar to what you lot have been getting for the last 15 years. Yet we managed to do something with the picks. We even managed to do something with the coach you dumped.

There is nothing particularly similar about the paths. One club was dealing with the fallout of losing many drafts picks no club has lost the likes of before due to being horribly run. Two of the players we were going to take in Goddard and Wells are still actually playing. It is only now that full cycle of damage control and worst run period I've seen in that time is done with and have truly just started from ground zero in last 12 or so months. Part of the stupidity in that time was removing Ratten and getting Malthouse. Hawthorn have been run extremely well in same period. However the last 12 months some of the decision making for long term list regeneration is going to cost them for a number of years. There is no particular sign of a plan to rectify it or even recognise that have dropped the ball in list management recently. This is a club getting itself in a bit of a mess and will see if Clarkson can deal with something he never had to deal with before. Voss did not last long at Lions once he allowed list management mistakes that put the Lions 4 steps back and that indeed is a similar path Hawks look to be on now. It is sounding like some Hawks fans are not seeing how the list itself is all of a sudden on the nose and the new talent is hard to find in immediate future. Something is going to be have to done to get a lot of early picks in 2018 to fix some of these mistakes.

Clarkson is a gun, no doubt. He reinvented their style more than once and clearly his record speaks for itself.

But what you say above is absolutely spot on.

We know Clarkson can reinvent a game plan and keep a side up for a long time at the highest level - wen that side includes players such as Burgoyne, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Rioli, Roughead, Franklin etc. etc.

But can he do it with merely the dregs from the draft?

Time will tell....

He was a gun of a coach in the right time and circumstances. You win 4 premierships as a coach and you've proven you done a great job. However, even great coaches have been shown they cannot create premierships from a dogs breakfast of a list. The challenge will be is he the right coach for Hawks now for long term dealing with the current state of list and limited resources to fix it anytime soon? Hawks as a club are going to have to make some big decisions in next two years. Will Clarkson and those people above him still be on same page and got the appetite of working together for a long time ?

He was a gun of a coach in the right time and circumstances. You win 4 premierships as a coach and you've proven you done a great job. However, even great coaches have been shown they cannot create premierships from a dogs breakfast of a list. The challenge will be is he the right coach for Hawks now for long term dealing with the current state of list and limited resources to fix it anytime soon? Hawks as a club are going to have to make some big decisions in next two years. Will Clarkson and those people above him still be on same page and got the appetite of working together for a long time ?
That's the thing though, he has proven he can coach, proven he can take them from bottom to top, with the right group.

If as you say the list is shot, then who is better to take over?

If the list is shot, no coach is taking that list anywhere.

That's the thing though, he has proven he can coach, proven he can take them from bottom to top, with the right group.

If as you say the list is shot, then who is better to take over?

If the list is shot, no coach is taking that list anywhere.

True, I sense though in most of these circumstances a younger coach willing to put in hard yards of being patient for 4 to 5 years to possibly get a half decent list is the go. Will take that long to potentially work with to get to the upside and be a fresh voice for the younger half of list now. Such a coach has nothing to lose but for a guy like Clarko you got more to lose and maybe it is jut more sensible to give the environment a new voice and also give yourself a new environment and re-invigorate yourself with starting afresh. There is probably more to be gained by Hawks and Clarko in parting ways after more than a decade together.

That is not to say he could not stay and motivate himself for a whole new challenge with the same club. Just think history tells us it is uphill battle for the same coach to stay at same club so long and start off with a poor deck of cards to play with the 2nd time around and it not end in tears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, I sense though in most of these circumstances a younger coach willing to put in hard yards of being patient for 4 to 5 years to possibly get a half decent list is the go. Will take that long to potentially work with to get to the upside and be a fresh voice for the younger half of list now. Such a coach has nothing to lose but for a guy like Clarko you got more to lose and maybe it is jut more sensible to give the environment a new voice and also give yourself a new environment and re-invigorate yourself with starting afresh. There is probably more to be gained by Hawks and Clarko in parting ways after more than a decade together.

That is not to say he could not stay and motivate himself for a whole new challenge with the same club. Just think history tells us it is uphill battle for the same coach to stay at same club so long and start off with a poor deck of cards to play with the 2nd time around and it not end in tears.
I get what you are saying, but wouldn't that be Clarksons decision (if Hawthorn still want him) to put his rep on the line?
He has the runs on the board to be given the chance to.

I may read the bloke wrong, but to me, he is the kind of bloke that doesn't jump from a sinking ship.

I get what you are saying, but wouldn't that be Clarksons decision (if Hawthorn still want him) to put his rep on the line?
He has the runs on the board to be given the chance to.

I may read the bloke wrong, but to me, he is the kind of bloke that doesn't jump from a sinking ship.

I think you are reading him right.
I honestly believe this will be one of those cases where his greatest strength of being that way will be the thing that leads to his undoing. He absolutely deserves the chance to put his rep on the line.

Who knows what's happening in Clarko's head but he is certainly up against it and if he does stay and gets the side another flag his status as one if the all time greats would be further entrenched in the annals of history and may be something in that who knows.

Who knows what's happening in Clarko's head but he is certainly up against it and if he does stay and gets the side another flag his status as one if the all time greats would be further entrenched in the annals of history and may be something in that who knows.

I agree that if Clarkson builds them up again he enters rare air.

Doubt he does though. I dont think he will have the patience needed to go through 3-4 seasons down the bottom.

Catastrophic change - 2 fringe players out 2 fringe players in

Ffs if you are going to post then at least make it factual. Go back and listen to what he actually said. I've heard this all day and it's "false news"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back