Coach Caro's beef against Clarkson is getting pathetic and sad now

Remove this Banner Ad

7gni0d.jpg

:)

Hey its a win win.

We get a top four pick, you lot finally get rid of Kenny.

I'm on your side with that. He's like Bard Scotts. Ten years of soul destroying mediocrity. Well eleven this year. That's nearly half the time Port Power has existed for.

The downside for you guys is you're stuck with JHF for a decade on a million bucks a year or whatever it is but he is a very talented player. So you may even be able to turn that around.

Its just a matter of overcoming his personality and letting his talent blossom.
Brad Scott at North Melbourne from 2010-19 will have mixed views from various North Melbourne fans.

Sure he didn't get you people a flag. But North's finals run of 2014-6 was Nice. Won 2 finals in 2014 and another 2 in 2015 with a limited and Moderate squad. I would love Justin Longmuir to achieve that at Freo.

Ken Hinkley isn't a bad coach either. Finals in 2013-4, 2017, 2020-1.

5 finals wins from. 2013-21 isn't bad.

Hell, I wouldn't be upset if Freo wins 5 finals wins In 30 years, provided every time the dockers have 2 or 3 Elim finals in a row, they at least win one final.

Maybe because I am a dockers fan and my standard's are lower than most clubs or maybe because Freo has made finals only 8 times out of 28 years.

I'm dying to see Freo make back to back finals again. We have only done that once. That was 2012-5

Brad Scott at North Melbourne from 2010-19 will have mixed views from various North Melbourne fans.

Sure he didn't get you people a flag. But North's finals run of 2014-6 was Nice. Won 2 finals in 2014 and another 2 in 2015 with a limited and Moderate squad. I would love Justin Longmuir to achieve that at Freo.

Ken Hinkley isn't a bad coach either. Finals in 2013-4, 2017, 2020-1.

5 finals wins from. 2013-21 isn't bad.

Hell, I wouldn't be upset if Freo wins 5 finals wins In 30 years, provided every time the dockers have 2 or 3 Elim finals in a row, they at least win one final.

Maybe because I am a dockers fan and my standard's are lower than most clubs or maybe because Freo has made finals only 8 times out of 28 years.

I'm dying to see Freo make back to back finals again. We have only done that once. That was 2012-5
"Scott was a good coach till he wasn't" to quote a poster from our board. But i think the issues with him won't be a problem with Clarko.

We weren't fit, our skills were poor and we lacked composure and/or psychological resilience under Scott. He was an "almost" coach. Did I mention he won something like 20 out of 25 games including the last 9 in a row? It was just that streak went from the middle of 2015 to the middle of 2016. That summed him up.

He was unlucky too. In 2019 we'd just lost Maj for the year and the rest of his career, and it could have been so much worse. But in 2018 Maj had a breakout year and was on track to be the best backman in the comp if he had a few seasons to get it down pat. Jed Anderson had a breakout year and JZ probably cost us finals by poor kicking in a few games. We started 2019 in a fog and then sacked Brad and nearly made finals with Shaw as a new coach. Its fair to say if Maj hadn't had his issues 2019 would have been a better year for Scott and we probably would have played finals. You kind of make your own luck tho. If he'd tried that with Maj three years earlier he'd have had enormous success with him.

But our footy department and recruitment under Brad, as well as out development of juniors, were real issues and the fallout from how bad they were is only just being cleaned up. He surrounded himself with yesmen. Kind of the opposite of what Clarkson has done but he's not afraid to be challenged by smart people cos he knows that builds a better organisation.

Hinkley isn't a bad coach. But he isn't a great one either. We put them out of finals in 2019 with a demolishment for the ages. (12 months later most of that side was sacked too.) That was a typical brad Scott like thing to do. It happened the year before iirc.

I don't even mind Port tbh. Good North players have gone there to finish their careers and one of our best - Choppy Pickett - even helped them win a flag. But i'm loving their form this year. Another top ten pick, especially in the top 7 would be great for us. Especially cos JHF is looking like a lazy player who is high off his junior bathwater. I hope that means they play poorly until they sort out team cohesion and we no longer have that problem.

The real issue with sides is the admin. The coach and the players will be good enough if the admin is on board. This is what Clarkson constantly says and his experience bears it out. The success we saw in the 70s and 90s and that he saw at hawthorn bears that out. So where that leaves Port? Who knows.

As for Freo - well the coach needs support i reckon. And a forward line. You lost alot players last year. Logue is a gun. Thanks. Tucker was okay yesterday as the sub, came on and we got back into the game. Cerra and Lobb I dunno. Lobb isn't bad but not great either. Getting in Jackson ... did you pay too much for him?

The real issue is the admin. bell is a good operator but what about the other people around him? if they know their stuff or are competent then youse should be on the right track.

It's a brilliant and scary business model when you think about it. Creating your own supply for internal consumption.

1. Pay some industry big names for an hour to make outlandish takes.
  2. Get your publishing arm ('journalists') to then publish articles about what was said.
  3. Your radio hosts do the same via airwaves and talkback.
  4. Get paid by sponsors.

Literally generating news and creating your own work.

All owned by the same person. All fake.

"Scott was a good coach till he wasn't" to quote a poster from our board. But i think the issues with him won't be a problem with Clarko.

We weren't fit, our skills were poor and we lacked composure and/or psychological resilience under Scott. He was an "almost" coach. Did I mention he won something like 20 out of 25 games including the last 9 in a row? It was just that streak went from the middle of 2015 to the middle of 2016. That summed him up.

He was unlucky too. In 2019 we'd just lost Maj for the year and the rest of his career, and it could have been so much worse. But in 2018 Maj had a breakout year and was on track to be the best backman in the comp if he had a few seasons to get it down pat. Jed Anderson had a breakout year and JZ probably cost us finals by poor kicking in a few games. We started 2019 in a fog and then sacked Brad and nearly made finals with Shaw as a new coach. Its fair to say if Maj hadn't had his issues 2019 would have been a better year for Scott and we probably would have played finals. You kind of make your own luck tho. If he'd tried that with Maj three years earlier he'd have had enormous success with him.

But our footy department and recruitment under Brad, as well as out development of juniors, were real issues and the fallout from how bad they were is only just being cleaned up. He surrounded himself with yesmen. Kind of the opposite of what Clarkson has done but he's not afraid to be challenged by smart people cos he knows that builds a better organisation.

Hinkley isn't a bad coach. But he isn't a great one either. We put them out of finals in 2019 with a demolishment for the ages. (12 months later most of that side was sacked too.) That was a typical brad Scott like thing to do. It happened the year before iirc.

I don't even mind Port tbh. Good North players have gone there to finish their careers and one of our best - Choppy Pickett - even helped them win a flag. But i'm loving their form this year. Another top ten pick, especially in the top 7 would be great for us. Especially cos JHF is looking like a lazy player who is high off his junior bathwater. I hope that means they play poorly until they sort out team cohesion and we no longer have that problem.

The real issue with sides is the admin. The coach and the players will be good enough if the admin is on board. This is what Clarkson constantly says and his experience bears it out. The success we saw in the 70s and 90s and that he saw at hawthorn bears that out. So where that leaves Port? Who knows.

As for Freo - well the coach needs support i reckon. And a forward line. You lost alot players last year. Logue is a gun. Thanks. Tucker was okay yesterday as the sub, came on and we got back into the game. Cerra and Lobb I dunno. Lobb isn't bad but not great either. Getting in Jackson ... did you pay too much for him?

The real issue is the admin. bell is a good operator but what about the other people around him? if they know their stuff or are competent then youse should be on the right track.
You are spot on about the admin.
Need to get the off field right to succeed on the field.

The coach, prez and ceo are all important figures.

Norths last ceo left cricket Australia in disgrace and his stint at the club was short lived and directionless. The current ceo has been silent when someone at the club needed to speak. And the jury is still out with the current prez, although she seems to be loved by north fans on this board to the point I’m expecting some vitriolic replies to this post. The coach is definitely a dominant character. Let’s hope his boss doesn’t let him dictate the direction of the club as that will be a big problem.

You are spot on about the admin.
Need to get the off field right to succeed on the field.

The coach, prez and ceo are all important figures.

Norths last ceo left cricket Australia in disgrace and his stint at the club was short lived and directionless. The current ceo has been silent when someone at the club needed to speak. And the jury is still out with the current prez, although she seems to be loved by north fans on this board to the point I’m expecting some vitriolic replies to this post. The coach is definitely a dominant character. Let’s hope his boss doesn’t let him dictate the direction of the club as that will be a big problem.
In Amarfio's defense he was brought in as a commercial operator and during covid and our worse performances for 50 years still managed to bring sponsors on board and do a good job with our financials. If our footy department had the required strength he wouldn't have had the opportunity to stick his nose in it and might still have that job.

Dunno what your problem with our current CEO is or our current president who is recovering from breast cancer treatment after turning the direction of the club around by buyilding a strong footy department with a quality coach who has standards. The concern trolling about him is getting boring tho.

In Amarfio's defense he was brought in as a commercial operator and during covid and our worse performances for 50 years still managed to bring sponsors on board and do a good job with our financials. If our footy department had the required strength he wouldn't have had the opportunity to stick his nose in it and might still have that job.

Dunno what your problem with our current CEO is or our current president who is recovering from breast cancer treatment after turning the direction of the club around by buyilding a strong footy department with a quality coach who has standards. The concern trolling about him is getting boring tho.

Your previous Chairman (Ben Buckley) is mostly responsible for North's dire last 5 years (including the disastrous appointment of David Noble, the worst coach I have seen in my lifetime of following footy)

He screwed the A League up too.

Sonja Hood has done a fantastic job turning your club from its lowest ebb since taking over, and I wish her all the very best/sending her healing thoughts that she can and will beat her battle with Breast Cancer.

No issues with Clarkson in regards to the sentiment of the OP. I agree wholeheartedly.

But Clarko is a dominant personality. If the prez and ceo aren’t strong enough to stand up to him, he’ll end up running the show.

With your prez sidelined, it was a great opportunity for your new ceo to step up and convey a solid stance when the club was challenged on their direction on certain issues. Haven’t seen this yet.

But she has time to set the commercial direction which I’m sure supporters like yourself are looking forward to seeing.

Your previous Chairman (Ben Buckley) is mostly responsible for North's dire last 5 years (including the disastrous appointment of David Noble, the worst coach I have seen in my lifetime of following footy)

He screwed the A League up too.

Sonja Hood has done a fantastic job turning your club from its lowest ebb since taking over, and I wish her all the very best/sending her healing thoughts that she can and will beat her battle with Breast Cancer.
Yeah Ben Buckley wasn't the greatest president we've ever had.

His admin was poor and as a result we had a shitful few years. Frankly we've struggled in that area since tho 90s tho alot of good work has been done off-field since 2007.

No issues with Clarkson in regards to the sentiment of the OP. I agree wholeheartedly.

But Clarko is a dominant personality. If the prez and ceo aren’t strong enough to stand up to him, he’ll end up running the show.

With your prez sidelined, it was a great opportunity for your new ceo to step up and convey a solid stance when the club was challenged on their direction on certain issues. Haven’t seen this yet.

But she has time to set the commercial direction which I’m sure supporters like yourself are looking forward to seeing.
What issues? B e specific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North should have gone to the Gold Coast so other clubs don't have to help fund them.
Caro ia an award winning journalist and Clarkson was acting like a rodeo clown with issues.
That's easy to say when it's not your club involved. I fully support any club fighting relocation.

They could have kept their identity up there which Fitzroy and South Melbourne did not.
That doesn't make relocation okay in the eye of the club, its stakeholders and supporters though. It's just a selling point from the AFL's point of view.

Even though many lessons would have been learned from the South and Fitzroy situations, North relocating wouldn't eliminate the pain and the heartache that their Melbourne based supporters in particular would experience.

I view this through the prism of "would I want this to happen to the club I support?" (especially if I lived in Melbourne). And I wouldn't.

I'm glad North rejected it.

Last edited:
Listening to Caro on the weekend she seems convinced this Hawthorn saga ends up with Clarkson (and maybe Fagan) initiating defamation proceedings. On that she may be right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back