Clayton Oliver vs Darcy Parish - Who will finish their career better?

Who will finish their career as the better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't influence the game when it was on the line. On that we agree.

But nothing in his game after quarter time was ''Jack Macrae''.
Well theres not really anything wrong with Jack Macrae, he just doesn't do much damage for whatever reason. A good kick, good runner, good tackler and has good hands. He's just a meh player for whatever reason.

Other gun accumulators like Oliver, Walsh, Neale etc also have games where they obliterate the opposition and completely dominate games. Macrae plays those gun players 'down' games every week without ever having a game where he dominates.

Well theres not really anything wrong with Jack Macrae, he just doesn't do much damage for whatever reason. A good kick, good runner, good tackler and has good hands. He's just a meh player for whatever reason.

Other gun accumulators like Oliver, Walsh, Neale etc also have games where they obliterate the opposition and completely dominate games. Macrae plays those gun players 'down' games every week without ever having a game where he dominates.
Yes, Macrae is often unfairly maligned, albeit he's slow. A far better contested player than he's given credit for.

I am biased when it comes to Oliver and it's fair to say I'm not in a great mood, but I liked the way he fought out ''one of those days''.

Setterfield did a good job.

That was a very embarrassing game from Oliver. We will put it down to inexperience. Darcy with the chocolates.

Edit:

The AFL app is saying Oliver had 41 touches? Surely not. He was rubbish. Is he normally this ineffective?
41 touches whilst being tagged 😆 😂 that's a bit embarassing for you. You went too soon. lol
Was Parish even being tagged? Nup. Not worth sending a tag to.

It's interesting that your coach spend so much time and effort during the week and on game day to come up with a plan to stop Oliver. I wonder why he'd do that if he's so ineffective. Talk to me when Parish wins a couple of Coaches Awards 😀

41 touches whilst being tagged 😆 😂 that's a bit embarassing for you. You went too soon. lol
Was Parish even being tagged? Nup. Not worth sending a tag to.

It's interesting that your coach spend so much time and effort during the week and on game day to come up with a plan to stop Oliver. I wonder why he'd do that if he's so ineffective. Talk to me when Parish wins a couple of Coaches Awards 😀
Omg Oliver was awful are you serious? He was terrible.

Hahaha. no reference of the tag. why was Oliver tagged mate?
Because he’s a ginger and he can’t be trusted

you cant seriously be using the best on ground section of match reports as your argument
you're not rubbish if you're named best mate. You're also not rubbish if you have 41 touches whilst being tagged for 4 quarters. you're not seriously saying he was rubbish are you?

you're not rubbish if you're named best mate. You're also not rubbish if you have 41 touches whilst being tagged for 4 quarters. you're not seriously saying he was rubbish are you?
i dont really care to argue about oliver's game beyond the point i made above

for what its worth i thought steven may was poor but is also listed amongst melbourne's best by whichever journalist's report you are quoting from

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont really care to argue about oliver's game beyond the point i made above

for what its worth i thought steven may was poor but is also listed amongst melbourne's best by whichever journalist's report you are quoting from
True. But May wasn't named our best.

But 41 being tagged is probably 60 not being tagged. It was a fine effort in a tough day where everyone played terrible.

Just went back to check, Oliver was at 21 touches at 3/4 time. 20 last quarter touches when the game was completely over and Essendon looked to have completely eased off, don't think thats really worth much... But just my opinion.

Wouldn't have had him in the best except for the fact that Melbourne was as a team pretty poor all round so not many stuck out.

Just went back to check, Oliver was at 21 touches at 3/4 time. 20 last quarter touches when the game was completely over and Essendon looked to have completely eased off, don't think thats really worth much... But just my opinion.

Wouldn't have had him in the best except for the fact that Melbourne was as a team pretty poor all round so not many stuck out.
I agree that the game was over but Setterfield certainly didn't ease up. He was still tagging Oliver.

I watched the game and Oliver did absolutely nothing. Petracca was amazing, every time he touched it I was worried. Oliver was scrapping little throws out and pretending to be tough. He had no impact on the contest.

Edit: 41 touches for 8 score involvements, circle work.
You clearly didn't watch the game. Petracca wasn't 'amazing' at all. He missed two very gettable shots and he wasn't clean at all with his disposal.

FWIW, I rate Trac extremely highly but I'd say that he's been much more underwhelming than Oliver this year.

You clearly didn't watch the game. Petracca wasn't 'amazing' at all. He missed two very gettable shots and he wasn't clean at all with his disposal.

FWIW, I rate Trac extremely highly but I'd say that he's been much more underwhelming than Oliver this year.

First half when Setterfield put the hard tag on Oliver he had 3 touches in Q1 and 8 touches in Q2. You guys scored 7.5.

Second half we relaxed the tag and he had 10 Q3 touches and and 20 Q4 touches. You guys scored 4.4. He just wasn’t damaging at all.

Petracca’s clearances were far cleaner and created space around the contest for you. Oliver’s didn’t release any pressure

Trac the only Dee to garner a coaches vote sort of confirms it was a pretty ordinary 42 touches.
Watch the game again - you won't.

Even a Carlton supporter on SEN today talking to Russell couldn't believe Oliver's game considering the stoppage tag.

He didn't get votes because he had 2 possessions in the first quarter when the game was on the line, which is fair enough.

But the actual quality of his inside work, especially in the second half, was excellent.

But we lost and Petracca didn't deserve a vote either.

Against Brisbane Oliver had 37 disposals and I commented on I think the Oliver v Cripps thread that Oliver was horrible and that it was one of the worst games I've seen him play. The weekend was very diferent. But he did nothing when the game was up for grabs early on, so it's fair enough he's criticised.

First half when Setterfield put the hard tag on Oliver he had 3 touches in Q1 and 8 touches in Q2. You guys scored 7.5.

Second half we relaxed the tag and he had 10 Q3 touches and and 20 Q4 touches. You guys scored 4.4. He just wasn’t damaging at all.

Petracca’s clearances were far cleaner and created space around the contest for you. Oliver’s didn’t release any pressure
lol. you're just saying the tag was relaxed because Oliver had 30 in the 2nd half. The tag wasn't relaxed at all. Oliver just did what he does. What game were you watching.

Watch the game again - you won't.

Even a Carlton supporter on SEN today talking to Russell couldn't believe Oliver's game considering the stoppage tag.

He didn't get votes because he had 2 possessions in the first quarter when the game was on the line, which is fair enough.

But the actual quality of his inside work, especially in the second half, was excellent.

But we lost and Petracca didn't deserve a vote either.

Against Brisbane Oliver had 37 disposals and I commented on I think the Oliver v Cripps thread that Oliver was horrible and that it was one of the worst games I've seen him play. The weekend was very diferent. But he did nothing when the game was up for grabs early on, so it's fair enough he's criticised.
Eh agree to disagree, still a gun and better than Parish imo.

Oliver was good but ineffective - good ball accumulation in the last when game was over.

Was on track for a sub 30 game at 3/4 time with 1 tackle, down on clearances - even then not one of his 20 last quarter touches resulted in a score.

It was good and toughed it out against a solid tag but that’s where it ends.

Ultimately though it’s a brave Essendon fan base to even start this debate.

Parish is the king of 40+ games that weren’t necessarily all that influential.

Back