Competitions Collingwood All Time Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Again been flat out so hope this man had not been picked. Had a look and think I am safe. I honestly believe this man brought us a Premiership and was the difference between ‘almost’ and a flag.

My choice Darren Jolly in the ruck.

’Proof that ruckmen get better with age, Jolly’s career took the scenic route, spending time as a second-string ruckman at Melbourne, rising to prominence in Sydney before confirming his status as one of the best ruckmen of the 2000s at Collingwood.
A man who covered the ground well for his size and was adept at switching to full forward to cause opposition coaches headaches with his height and overhead prowess. Jolly was a model of durability, playing 142 matches in a row between 2005 and 2011 and is best remembered by Collingwood fans as one of the keys to the 2010 premiership triumph.’
Great pick. I had the joy of him taking a junior clinic of mine (he still played for Sydney, I played for South Melb.) and he was great. Even though I was a kid I was soaking up everything he had to say about tapwork!

Could hit the scoreboard handily too

Sorry all, didn’t see I was up.

With my next selection I’ll be taking a deep thinker, who was an absolute line breaker at his best but versatile to take tall and small opponents. A strong, courageous player who didn’t take a backward step against the monsters of the game, all the while still remaining a calm and peace loving man off the field - I’ll select 2010 premiership backman, Heritier Lumumba

Trickster you’re up mate

With Pick 93, I select Len Murphy at HBF.

In the words of Dermie, 'this kid could seriously play'.

He walked in as an 18yo in 1928 and stepped straight into the Defending Premiers senior team from R1. He held his position and would go onto play in Premierships in each of his first 3 years.

Len was skillful enough to play in multiple positions lining up as a CHF and Ruck Rover in the premiership years while the Argus said in 1934 that he was the best half back in the game. He was best known for his booming kicks.

In addition to his ability, he was tough with a teammate saying, 'Len was a big, rough bloke who’d just as soon knock you down as look at you'.

He was remarkably durable missing just 19 games in 10 years, however 2 of those happened to be Premierships, missing 35 after suffering a shoulder injury in the Prelim and 1936 due to suspension.

But his record speaks for itself. 173 games for the Pies, 105 goals, 2nd best and fairest in 1935 and 3rd in 1934 to go with his 3 Premierships.

1634637869905.png

Over to magpies42 for Pick 94... we're halfway there!!!

Edit: Not halfway there yet...

Last edited:
I think you've got an absolute bargain in getting Fred Leach at 90! He's certainly one of my favourites from the club's early days, and someone I thought would have gone a lot earlier. On pure talent/attributes and how he measured up against his peers he probably deserves a spot among our all-time greats, but (much like Phil Carman all those years later) he was a player who could have done so much more.
Yeah, agreed - very happy he got through!

No, just googling each player, though i do have some of them in my box of Collingwood stuff.
Nice, I've got a fair few Collignwood cards only from most years in late 70s / early 80s and complete AFL sets between about 85-90 so just curious.

Nice, I've got a fair few Collignwood cards only from most years in late 70s / early 80s and complete AFL sets between about 85-90 so just curious.

Yeah, it sounds like we're similar age.
I was wondering the age of each contestant actually. Amazing Collingwood knowledge on display.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

85-Bill_Strickland.jpeg

With pick 95 I'll take Bill Strickland. A star at Carlton (thankfully he repented), he crossed over to Collingwood in 1893 and his leadership was invaluable for such a young club. Retrospectively awarded best player in '94 and '96, his captaincy was widely praised in the inaugural '96 premiership and was the first Collingwood VFL captain in '97. It's not outlandish to say without his early influence, Collingwood would not have risen so quickly and made the initial VFL breakaway group, instead forced to wait for the 1908 or even 1925 class.

Back:

Leon Davis ________ Bill Strickland

Half Back:

_______ George Clayden Jack Crisp
Centre:

_______ Bob Rose _______

Half Forward:

_________ Travis Cloke ________

Forward:

Ted Rowell Ron Todd ________

Followers

Neil Mann _______ _______​
iGNITER you're up.

Last edited:
Great game! Will be fun to rate the final teams.

With Pick 93, I select Len Murphy at HBF.

In the words of Dermie, 'this kid could seriously play'.

He walked in as an 18yo in 1928 and stepped straight into the Defending Premiers senior team from R1. He held his position and would go onto play in Premierships in each of his first 3 years.

Len was skillful enough to play in multiple positions lining up as a CHF and Ruck Rover in the premiership years while the Argus said in 1934 that he was the best half back in the game. He was best known for his booming kicks.

In addition to his ability, he was tough with a teammate saying, 'Len was a big, rough bloke who’d just as soon knock you down as look at you'.

He was remarkably durable missing just 19 games in 10 years, however 2 of those happened to be Premierships, missing 35 after suffering a shoulder injury in the Prelim and 1936 due to suspension.

But his record speaks for itself. 173 games for the Pies, 105 goals, 2nd best and fairest in 1935 and 3rd in 1934 to go with his 3 Premierships.

View attachment 1263851

Over to magpies42 for Pick 94... we're halfway there!!!

Edit: Not halfway there yet...

Surprised nobody has selected him yet. I waited all the way to page 30 without a mention.
...and I don't mean Len Murphy.

Pick 96 - Jeremy Howe

1634677737553.png 1634677758534.png 1634677907886.png

One of my favourite current Pies players and a highlight reel you could watch for hours.

Played 100 games for Melbourne before crossing over to the Pies where he has played 95 games and will hit the 100 mark in 2022.

Has played at both ends of the ground but really found home to be across the half back flank. One of the best marking players the game has seen and has the ability to hold down a key post if required.

Pick 96 - Jeremy Howe

View attachment 1264055View attachment 1264056View attachment 1264058

One of my favourite current Pies players and a highlight reel you could watch for hours.

Played 100 games for Melbourne before crossing over to the Pies where he has played 95 games and will hit the 100 mark in 2022.

Has played at both ends of the ground but really found home to be across the half back flank. One of the best marking players the game has seen and has the ability to hold down a key post if required.

This was a real toss up for me. Hes lauded for his intercepting and offensive play, his 1v1 work is very underrated. :(

I haven't seen this guy picked, I've tried to go back a few pages, so if he has apologies I've got another one loaded up.

Pick 97 - Taylor Adams (Ruck Rover)

Often Adams' flaws are spoken about more so than what he does well, and for me, he is the first bloke you'd pick to be in the trenches with you. He is tough, uncompromising and a natural leader. His fierce nature endears fans to him and the way he goes about it, and you know even when he does make mistakes, he will be doing everything in his power to win the game for your team. For me, his smother against West Coast in that elimination final was legendary and just to put his body on the line time and time again is sensational. Whilst we know his kicking can be iffy at times, this bloke has the biggest heart going around, and for my team, I've got the skilful Richardsons and the speedy McGuane, so I need that inside bull and this is the man for me.*

*Providing he's not taken 😂

cityslick1

Pick 96 - Jeremy Howe

View attachment 1264055View attachment 1264056View attachment 1264058

Yep, Howe was going to be my next pick...

Pick 53 - Mick McGuane (Wing for now)

So after IGNITER ruined my Presti plans, might as well go for the one who I was considering among the better ones available (at least for what I need and in terms of accolades too). A two-time All-Australian and Copeland Trophy winner, perhaps best remembered for that goal. It is his hard running and highlights that would add to my team and adds that bit of freshness to the side.

cityslick1

Never gets tiring …

Haha, I'm not sure how often McGuane would have been called 'speedy' in his career, but he certainly was extremely skillful
Haha probably not the best word, was still a touch before my time seeing his best it’s more the highlights and games I have seen. I guess the way he moved is probably more akin to a power mover rather than electrifying quick 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back