Competitions Collingwood All Time Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Same. Funnily enough the wait seems long but when it gets to your choice the decision is soooooooo hard.

As long as you don’t pick a player who has already dropped, there are no wrong answers!

With Pick 115, I take Josh Fraser playing up forward and then floating into the ruck as required, giving Les 'Flapper' Hughes a chop out.

Josh played 200 games for Collingwood kicking a healthy 156 goals. This total would have been much higher had he played forward more, but given our lack of rucks at that stage he pretty much had to play ruck for far too long given his years and body size. His highest goal tally was 37 in 2002 which also included 3 in that years GF out of 8.

Given his lean frame he was not expected to play much in 2000, his first year, but he played in all but 1 game (winning the best first year player) and only missed 4 games in his first 4 years. This probably did not help him longer term as he had quite a few injuries in subsequent years particularly as he quite often had to battle one out in the ruck when McKee departed and no other rucks were able to play a support act.

He was quite stoic in the 2003 GF without Rocca playing a lone hand and also won that years best finals player.

The arrival of Jolly and the 'accidental' Leigh Brown second ruck role meant he did not play in the premiership, which he helped lay the groundwork for and would have thoroughly deserved.

Still he had a really good career with the Pies and it's great to see him back in the coaching ranks for 2022.

Over to magpies42 with Pick 116.

With Pick 115, I take Josh Fraser playing up forward and then floating into the ruck as required, giving Les 'Flapper' Hughes a chop out.

Josh played 200 games for Collingwood kicking a healthy 156 goals. This total would have been much higher had he played forward more, but given our lack of rucks at that stage he pretty much had to play ruck for far too long given his years and body size. His highest goal tally was 37 in 2002 which also included 3 in that years GF out of 8.

Given his lean frame he was not expected to play much in 2000, his first year, but he played in all but 1 game (winning the best first year player) and only missed 4 games in his first 4 years. This probably did not help him longer term as he had quite a few injuries in subsequent years particularly as he quite often had to battle one out in the ruck when McKee departed and no other rucks were able to play a support act.

He was quite stoic in the 2003 GF without Rocca playing a lone hand and also won that years best finals player.

The arrival of Jolly and the 'accidental' Leigh Brown second ruck role meant he did not play in the premiership, which he helped lay the groundwork for and would have thoroughly deserved.

Still he had a really good career with the Pies and it's great to see him back in the coaching ranks for 2022.

Yeah he was the one I was tempted to pick last round. Feel like he got a rough deal over his career but was still very good. If he’d be the size of Grundy I dare say he would have succeeded more in the ruck but he was too skinny early on and thrown into a role he should have have time to develop in. Especially in a time where nearly all rucks were trucks.

Yeah he was the one I was tempted to pick last round. Feel like he got a rough deal over his career but was still very good. If he’d be the size of Grundy I dare say he would have succeeded more in the ruck but he was too skinny early on and thrown into a role he should have have time to develop in. Especially in a time where nearly all rucks were trucks.
Totally agree, he was fed to the wolves a bit. Ideally he'd have been like Luke Jackson playing fwd 70% and then relieving in the ruck. Never put on the weight his role needed him to. Did a knee in a state game too from memory in later years which didn't help when in great form.

With pick 116 I’ll snap up Brodie Mihocek. I’m wrapped that he’s still available, one of my favourite players at the moment. Plays the team game, which is what you need in a star studded team but when it’s his turn to go, he goes and he takes his chances remarkably well considering he’s often not the focal point for entries with Degoey Elliot and Cox. In a poor period for the club he has been leading goal kicking 3 times. Tackles hard and goes hard, marks well. Can play back too if needed. I’ll play him forward!

half_back_flank for the OP

84. Trickster - Les Hughes
85. Tarkyn_24 - Ken Turner
86. South of the Yarra - Graham Wright
87. Jelly Bean - Damien Monkhurst
88. Raymond35 - James Manson

Ninth round

89. Raymond35 - Stan Margo
90. Jelly Bean - Fred Leach
91. South of the Yarra - Darren Jolly
92. Tarkyn_24 - Heritier Lumumba
93. Trickster - Len Murphy
94. Magpies42 - Jamie Elliott
95. Half_back_flank - Bill Strickland
96. iGNITER - Jeremy Howe
97. Pie 4 Life - Taylor Adams
98 Cityslick1 - Ian Graham
99. Gouki88 - Ian Brewer

Tenth round

100. Gouki88 - Paul Medhurst
101. Cityslick1 - Trevor Steer
102. Pie 4 Life - Harry Saunders
103. iGNITER - Rene Kink
104. Half_back_flank - Ben Johnson
105. Magpies42 - Ross Dunne
106. Trickster - Bob Makeham
107. Tarkyn_24 - Luke Ball
108. South of the Yarra - Shane Morwood
109. Jelly Bean - Gary Pert
110. Raymond35 - Leigh Brown

Eleventh round

111. Raymond35 - Tony Francis
112. Jelly Bean - Mick Gayfer
113. South of the Yarra - Ronnie Wearmouth
114. Tarkyn_24 - Brayden Maynard
115. Trickster - Josh Fraser

half_back_flank for the OP

84. Trickster - Les Hughes
85. Tarkyn_24 - Ken Turner
86. South of the Yarra - Graham Wright
87. Jelly Bean - Damien Monkhurst
88. Raymond35 - James Manson

Ninth round

89. Raymond35 - Stan Margo
90. Jelly Bean - Fred Leach
91. South of the Yarra - Darren Jolly
92. Tarkyn_24 - Heritier Lumumba
93. Trickster - Len Murphy
94. Magpies42 - Jamie Elliott
95. Half_back_flank - Bill Strickland
96. iGNITER - Jeremy Howe
97. Pie 4 Life - Taylor Adams
98 Cityslick1 - Ian Graham
99. Gouki88 - Ian Brewer

Tenth round

100. Gouki88 - Paul Medhurst
101. Cityslick1 - Trevor Steer
102. Pie 4 Life - Harry Saunders
103. iGNITER - Rene Kink
104. Half_back_flank - Ben Johnson
105. Magpies42 - Ross Dunne
106. Trickster - Bob Makeham
107. Tarkyn_24 - Luke Ball
108. South of the Yarra - Shane Morwood
109. Jelly Bean - Gary Pert
110. Raymond35 - Leigh Brown

Eleventh round

111. Raymond35 - Tony Francis
112. Jelly Bean - Mick Gayfer
113. South of the Yarra - Ronnie Wearmouth
114. Tarkyn_24 - Brayden Maynard
115. Trickster - Josh Fraser

Thanks mate that’s fantastic. Been a little busy and it’s much appreciated.

With pick 117, I’ll go with Bill Serong.

Another one of those what if players, Serong only played 98 games and had played his last game for Collingwood at 25 years old. But at Collingwood he was a ‘58 premiership player, 3rd in the Copeland and second in the Brownlow in ‘59 and 2nd the Copeland in ‘60. Then the upexpected deaths of both parents meant more responsibility looking after his family, all while studying law. Pulled the pin in round 14 of the ‘61 season due to outside commitments, was a late starter in the ‘62 preseason and it was the clubs view he was not able to balance football with family commitments and was unfairly dumped after the last practice match, even though he was vice captain the year before. Cleared to North, he then proceeded to win the Syd Barker medal in ‘62. A fantastic talent, what might have been if the club had been flexible and understanding about his commitments outside football. I’ll put him as ruck rover.

Back:

Leon Davis ________ Bill Strickland

Half Back:
Ben Johnson George Clayden Jack Crisp
Centre:

_______ Bob Rose _______

Half Forward:

_______ Travis Cloke ________

Forward:

Ted Rowell Ron Todd ________

Followers

Neil Mann Bill Serong _______​

iGNITER you’re up mate.

Last edited:

Another one of those what if players, Serong only played 98 games and had played his last game for Collingwood at 25 years old. But at Collingwood he was a ‘58 premiership player, 3rd in the Copeland and second in the Brownlow in ‘59 and 2nd the Copeland in ‘60. Then the upexpected deaths of both parents meant more responsibility looking after his family, all while studying law. Pulled the pin in round 14 of the ‘61 season due to outside commitments, was a late starter in the ‘62 preseason and it was the clubs view he was not able to balance football with family commitments and was unfairly dumped after the last practice match, even though he was vice captain the year before. Spent one more league football season in ‘63 with North, where he won the Syd Barker medal. A fantastic talent, what might have been if the club had been flexible and understanding about his commitments outside football. I’ll put him in the centre.

iGNITER you’re up mate.

Him and Caleb Serong HAVE to be distant cousins.

Certainly an uncommon surname in Oz.

Thanks mate that’s fantastic. Been a little busy and it’s much appreciated.
All good mate, totally get it. I had some time and it would benefit myself as much as anyone else trying to see if a player had been taken :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trickster,
You put Leigh Brown on the flank on your excellent spreadsheet, instead of centre half forward, thanks.
Thanks for pointing that out Raymond, i'll change that when I next paste the update on the first page.

Another one of those what if players, Serong only played 98 games and had played his last game for Collingwood at 25 years old. But at Collingwood he was a ‘58 premiership player, 3rd in the Copeland and second in the Brownlow in ‘59 and 2nd the Copeland in ‘60. Then the upexpected deaths of both parents meant more responsibility looking after his family, all while studying law. Pulled the pin in round 14 of the ‘61 season due to outside commitments, was a late starter in the ‘62 preseason and it was the clubs view he was not able to balance football with family commitments and was unfairly dumped after the last practice match, even though he was vice captain the year before. Cleared to North, he then proceeded to win the Syd Barker medal in ‘62. A fantastic talent, what might have been if the club had been flexible and understanding about his commitments outside football. I’ll put him as ruck rover.

Back:

Leon Davis ________ Bill Strickland

Half Back:
Ben Johnson George Clayden Jack Crisp
Centre:

_______ Bob Rose _______

Half Forward:

_______ Travis Cloke ________

Forward:

Ted Rowell Ron Todd ________

Followers

Neil Mann Bill Serong _______​

iGNITER you’re up mate.

Serong yet so right. Brilliant pick

Pick 118 - Graeme "Jerker" Jenkin

1634853852689.png 1634853883180.png

Very happy with this selection. I needed a ruckman and wrapt to have Jerker still available.

When Len Thompson went on strike during the 1970 pre-season. The club knew then it had to make other plans for Thommo and Jenkin seized his opportunity. Even when Thommo returned to the fold, the amount of time Jenkin spent in his preferred spot as the team’s main ruckman increased exponentially. And with that increased opportunity, he flourished.

The 1970 season was undoubtedly Jenkin’s best in senior football. He finished second in the Copeland Trophy and won selection in the Victorian team (only to have to withdraw because of a hamstring injury). By then he had settled at a playing weight of around 108kg, to go with his 194 cm frame. He was a big unit on the field.

Also, great to have good characters in your team, see the following:

Every football club needs its characters – those larger-than-life guys with infectious personalities who can lift the change rooms and help make footy fun.

That description fits Graeme ‘Jerker’ Jenkin to a tee.

‘Jerker’ was one of the most popular players not just at Collingwood but also in the VFL. “Everyone loved him,” Peter McKenna once said. “He was a great, happy-go-lucky bloke, and the life and soul of the club.” His long-time colleague in the ruck division, Len Thompson, agreed, once describing Jenkin as “the funniest guy in the world”. “He’s the only bloke I know who could walk into a room not knowing anyone and within 15 minutes could be friends with everyone,” Thompson said.

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/graeme-jenkin/

Sorry not sorry Tarkyn_24 I would have taken Maynard here so you only have yourself to blame :p

Pick 119 - Tarkyn Lockyer (BP)

I really enjoyed watching Tarks move with the ball and develop his career as he started when I was really engrossed in football as a kid and was able to follow his career through until unfortunately being one of a number of players eventually moved out for younger players. He could play on any line, but I particularly enjoyed him dashing out of defence and using the ball well up the ground. I've put a real emphasis on ball users in my team, and Tarks certainly was that. He did not end his career with a ton of awards, but he started his career whilst Nathan Buckley was in God mode, and was coming to the twilight when Dane Swan and a young Scott Pendlebury were starting to collect em' all. Still, he finished runner-up in 2000 and third in 2007 (Which is a good gap between showing his consistency). He also played 227 games and finishing his career forward, managed 149 goals, with his 2009 season being a stellar one in helping the side get back up the ladder. Unfortunately 2010 was a changing of the guard somewhat, and he was one of the casualties, but I'll always respect him for what he did for the club and his career.

As a fun fact, Lockyer now guides the AFL Academy, so I see him nearly every weekend there's NAB League footy on.

cityslick1

Sorry not sorry Tarkyn_24 I would have taken Maynard here so you only have yourself to blame :p

I really enjoyed watching Tarks move with the ball and develop his career as he started when I was really engrossed in football as a kid and was able to follow his career through until unfortunately being one of a number of players eventually moved out for younger players. He could play on any line, but I particularly enjoyed him dashing out of defence and using the ball well up the ground. I've put a real emphasis on ball users in my team, and Tarks certainly was that. He did not end his career with a ton of awards, but he started his career whilst Nathan Buckley was in God mode, and was coming to the twilight when Dane Swan and a young Scott Pendlebury were starting to collect em' all. Still, he finished runner-up in 2000 and third in 2007 (Which is a good gap between showing his consistency). He also played 227 games and finishing his career forward, managed 149 goals, with his 2009 season being a stellar one in helping the side get back up the ladder. Unfortunately 2010 was a changing of the guard somewhat, and he was one of the casualties, but I'll always respect him for what he did for the club and his career.

As a fun fact, Lockyer now guides the AFL Academy, so I see him nearly every weekend there's NAB League footy on.

cityslick1
There goes one of my picks! I have another 4 preselected options…if they get taken I will have limited ability to select until tomorrow. At the pub from lunch time

There goes one of my picks! I have another 4 preselected options…if they get taken I will have limited ability to select until tomorrow. At the pub from lunch time
I've learnt to plan ridiculously more in advance now, so have a list of seven for my next pick which is five picks away.

cityslick1
I got to a point where I didn’t really have a position left for him anyway. Was going to take him in two selections time for the sake of it if he was still available and reshuffle to make it work but in the end of the day I’ve probably loaded up too early on flank types and while I’m thrilled with the names I have I probably should’ve gone on players like Dunne and Pert when I’d planned to and not rolled the dice on them surviving longer.

You’ve got a brilliant player with Tarks because there’s no way he should’ve dropped this low. 227 games and an impressive 149 goals predominantly playing as a half back flanker. Capable anywhere on the ground and remarkably consistent, ever reliable in front of goal and creative enough to bring more heralded players into the play. Always up the list in goal assists, particularly when he transitioned into the forward line and a reliable kick that probably opened up more forward forays than anyone appreciated at the time with his pin point accuracy.

I got to a point where I didn’t really have a position left for him anyway. Was going to take him in two selections time for the sake of it if he was still available and reshuffle to make it work but in the end of the day I’ve probably loaded up too early on flank types and while I’m thrilled with the names I have I probably should’ve gone on players like Dunne and Pert when I’d planned to and not rolled the dice on them surviving longer.

You’ve got a brilliant player with Tarks because there’s no way he should’ve dropped this low. 227 games and an impressive 149 goals predominantly playing as a half back flanker. Capable anywhere on the ground and remarkably consistent, ever reliable in front of goal and creative enough to bring more heralded players into the play. Always up the list in goal assists, particularly when he transitioned into the forward line and a reliable kick that probably opened up more forward forays than anyone appreciated at the time with his pin point accuracy.

❤️
F6360A2D-728C-4384-AECA-3C3BDED948E3.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back