NO TROLLS Collingwood Football Club is guilty of systemic racism, review finds

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to look at the number of Aboriginal representatives for each club since McGuire took over (Collingwood had zero at the time, and only two prior):

31 Fremantle
28 Port Adelaide
22 West Coast
18 Adelaide, Essendon, Melbourne
17 Brisbane
16 North Melbourne, Richmond
15 Gold Coast, Hawthorn, St.Kilda
14 Collingwood, Western Bulldogs
13 Carlton, Geelong
11 Sydney
8 GWS

Not really any different to the other Victorian clubs. One would think that if the walls were dripping with racism as the report implies, it would be evident here.

Side note on this. Always found the AFL's "Dreamtime at the G" money making....ahem Reconciliation Olive Branch exercise specious. The VFL was the last comp to take on and except Aboriginal footballers, it's like they didn't really exist until Kevin Sheedy invented them. The vast majority of the great Indigenous players came from the NT, WA and SA, even now the numbers of Indigenous playing for the WA/SA clubs continues to be the highest in the league, yet the "Dreamtime at GEE" has been hijacked by a couple of Big Vic Clubs/the AFL and is lauded as great initiative. Please.

Not sure what Myobs reasoning for saying some of the pressure should go onto Buckley but personally I agree. As for why, leadership of the club is supposed to be responsible for making sure that every player has a safe work environment. As the coach, Buckley is exposed to and aware of the behaviour around the club. If there is racism to the point of being systemic then he would be aware of it or completely incompitent. Big part of the coaches job is to go to bat for his players and make sure the team is running smoothly. Its not all his fault but he does bear some responsibility here

If Buckley was the "leader" he thinks he is, this sort of thing would have been stamped out. Systematic racism has no place in any workplace or environment - and as one of the people with the most ability to make changes at the club - he's either just accepting of it or didn't care.

Side note on this. Always found the AFL's "Dreamtime at the G" money making....ahem Reconciliation Olive Branch exercise specious. The VFL was the last comp to take on and except Aboriginal footballers, it's like they didn't really exist until Kevin Sheedy invented them. The vast majority of the great Indigenous players came from the NT, WA and SA, even now the numbers of Indigenous playing for the WA/SA clubs continues to be the highest in the league, yet the "Dreamtime at GEE" has been hijacked by a couple of Big Vic Clubs/the AFL and is lauded as great initiative. Please.

It has boosted Essendon/Richmond crowds by an average of about 10K, so would be viewed as a marketing success.

Victoria has a much smaller Aboriginal demographic than any other state or territory (less than half the proportion in the ACT, which is second-lowest). Aboriginal players flew under the radar here until the arrival of Maurice Rioli and the Krakouers in 1982, who were of course "imported" from WA.

Last edited:

Wtf does that prove?

Here is the definition of an outlier:

"An outlier is an observation that lies an abnormal distance from other values in a random sample from a population. ... Examination of the data for unusual observations that are far removed from the mass of data. These points are often referred to as outliers"

The random sample of values being the opinions of the people on this board and the outlier being your opinion which is abnormal.

Interesting to look at the number of Aboriginal representatives for each club since McGuire took over (Collingwood had zero at the time, and only two prior):

31 Fremantle
28 Port Adelaide
22 West Coast
17 Brisbane
13 Carlton, Geelong
11 Sydney
8 GWS

Not really any different to the other Victorian clubs. One would think that if the walls were dripping with racism as the report implies, it would be evident here.
"As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect them..."

There's more to it than just hiring them.

Difficult to pass judgement until the report is out but you would hope Collingwood were very careful in picking who they got to do that review.

There's a thousand "experts" out there who could find systematic racism in the packaging of toilet paper. Not saying that is what happened here but you'd want to see the report in its entirety before getting carried away.

The person they got to do it sounds like an expert to me. Sure, she's no Big Footy poster but otherwise sounds like she's got the goods.

They should have got a white upper/middle class male to do the the review then everything would have been ok.

The person they got to do it sounds like an expert to me. Sure, she's no Big Footy poster but otherwise sounds like she's got the goods.

They should have got a white upper/middle class male to do the the review then everything would have been ok.

Didn't take long 🙄

31 Fremantle
28 Port Adelaide
22 West Coast
17 Brisbane
13 Carlton, Geelong
11 Sydney
8 GWS

To be fair unless the recruiters are explicitly against taking indigenous kids this isn't a great indicator. The fact that it isn't just Lumumba who has come out and spoken about this speaks volumes.

31 Fremantle
28 Port Adelaide
22 West Coast
17 Brisbane
13 Carlton, Geelong
11 Sydney
8 GWS

Thanks for compiling this data, but my take on it would be, given the draft system in the AFL and the fact that players have little say in where they initially go, this can neither prove nor disprove a racist culture.

The number of players from minority groups electing to leave a club would in my opinion be a better analysis, however there would probably be too small a sample size and restricted by other limitations such as x fringe player not wanting to request to leave as no guarantee of a job elsewhere should they attempt.

Here is the definition of an outlier:

"An outlier is an observation that lies an abnormal distance from other values in a random sample from a population. ... Examination of the data for unusual observations that are far removed from the mass of data. These points are often referred to as outliers"

The random sample of values being the opinions of the people on this board and the outlier being your opinion which is abnormal.

Good lord, what nonsense! You are using a statistical concept to try to invalidate a moral position

You yourself are engaging in blatant ad populum fallacy. Just because my position isn't in the majority in mugsville doesn't make it either wrong or an "outlier".

Thanks for compiling this data, but my take on it would be, given the draft system in the AFL and the fact that players have little say in where they initially go, this can neither prove nor disprove a racist culture.

Not saying it says anything definitive, but I kinda expected Collingwood to be an outlier after a poster on their board said he couldn't recall more than a dozen dark-skinned players.

Something that did stick out was Sydney going an entire decade (2000-09) without introducing any Aboriginal players after Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before people start throwing the glass houses response out there, I'm sure every single club, including mine, have at times had to work on their culture. That being said, Collingwood do seem to have a problem with dealing with people on a human level. This racism issue is not new with the club and has come up with both supporters and staff. The club has tried to PR their way through it, seemingly without actually adressing the root cause. The Treloar debacle is also a good example of how not to deal with mental health struggles and racism is a mental health issue as much as it is anything else. Constant racial abuse and not having concerns heard or worse punished is devastating to a persons mental wellbeing. This is a club that prides itself on being inclusive and supportive and its time for them to prove that those qualities are more than just a catch phrase or money generator. This is not me trying to be smug or take down the tall poppies its a genuine concern and a symptom of a bigger societal issue. Its also a sentiment that seems to be echoed in the collingwood threads as much as it is here.

I don't know who did it but I guess if the person starts with a viewpoint that the whole country is "systematically racist" . there was a pretty good chance they would find Collingwood FC to also be "systemically racist"..

Getting asked to do a review into a high profile football club would seem like a golden opportunity to push a particular cause, if you had one.. In fact you would probably damage your own cause if you weren't critical.

But again I dont know who did the review, if they are an activist, or an academic or whatever.. we'll see when the report comes out. Really though if they got a hard core indigenous rights activist to do this review then they may as well have got H himself to do it..

The report goes to the board and Eddie announces he is standing down 2 days later. That in itself speaks volumes about the findings.
No, no-no.
The role just wore Eddie down, that is why he is stepping down, not because he is a racist. Just cause he says some very racist things repeatedly is just coincidental.

I don't know who did it but I guess if the person starts with a viewpoint that the whole country is "systematically racist" . there was a pretty good chance they would find Collingwood FC to also be "systemically racist"..

Getting asked to do a review into a high profile football club would seem like a golden opportunity to push a particular cause, if you had one.. In fact you would probably damage your own cause if you weren't critical.

But again I dont know who did the review, if they are an activist, or an academic or whatever.. we'll see when the report comes out. Really though if they got a hard core indigenous rights activist to do this review then they may as well have got H himself to do it..
Goodness.
Step back from your computer and give yourself an uppercut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back