List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless you have early draft picks (and lets face it the Northern and emerging clubs will always get the best of those) then the only other way to get priority players (guns) is through recruitment.

The "myth" about Geelong having the best recruiters is just that....a myth. Truth is they have a POOL of players every year from their ever burgeoning districts down here (Colac to Queenscliff) that are identified early and then fast tracked via the football factory private schools (Geelong Grammar, College and St.Joey's) straight into the NGA's and The Falcons programs where the very best are then linked to "Geelong Friendly" player managers and sponsors that see to it that these young lads are made very comfortable in their Geelong based communities. When drafting time arrives, sure some of them get picked by oppo and interstate clubs but they are always made aware that "if they ever want to come HOME"...then they'll be very well looked after. And the cream of the Falcons who don't get picked up (who maybe need another year or two to mature physically or who haven't been played in position by the Falcons hierarchy) well they get well remunerated local positions amongst GFL and GDFL teams where they can always be redrafted by the Cats as they see fit...(think Tom Stewart).

So the real crux of Geelong's "brilliant" recruiting has been:
(a) their links to their local footy comps and in particular their local private schools who can provide the Falcons with a never ending stream of top line talent

and

(b) their establishment of a series of "Geelong friendly player managers" who get the players they want when they want them. (Think Patrick, Jeremy Cameron, Ollie Henry)...they've played the go home card on many occasions.

For Collingwood (or indeed any other large Melbourne based club) to emulate this type of scheme we'd be up against 6-7 other clubs all fighting for the same talent. Our links to the Chargers are obvious but as they play and train in a city of 3+ million people, they're obviously more open to being seen and much harder to hide players in a local competition than it is here down in sleepy hollow. We (all the Melbourne clubs) also have no "go home factor" because our lads are already in the biggest footy city in the country and there's only "other" places to go.

Our only hope IS and has been for quite a while to establish a network of "Pies friendly player managers" that steer their proteges towards us instead of interstate or down Geelong road. The arrival of Graham Wright and now Ned Kelly have me hoping that finally (after more than a decade of watching Stephen Wells and his gang manipulate player movement amongst the AFL) that we'd finally start getting our share of the GUN players who want to test the market.

I'm tired of watching trade periods where we hold no sway, where the Locketts, Quinlan's, Lynch's, Daniher's and Cameron's get traded all around us and we don't ever stand a chance.

Player managers hold the keys to the kingdom now and in Wright and Kelly we should have a pretty good guide into how best to deal with them.
Nailed it with this!

To highlight the bolded it started last year with Shoota. He was the best available player and we brought him in. That is good list management that some on here are tearing down in the space of 3 matches. The one addition I’d add though is a clean slate with the salary cap will help. This year will be our fifth season where we haven’t had room to really move and go on a raid. I’m not sure when our past failures will run their course, but to have won a premiership when literally everything needs to be going right for you without access to probably between $600-800k in salary is frankly phenomenal.

Nailed it with this!

To highlight the bolded it started last year with Shoota. He was the best available player and we brought him in. That is good list management that some on here are tearing down in the space of 3 matches. The one addition I’d add though is a clean slate with the salary cap will help. This year will be our fifth season where we haven’t had room to really move and go on a raid. I’m not sure when our past failures will run their course, but to have won a premiership when literally everything needs to be going right for you without access to probably between $600-800k in salary is frankly phenomenal.
Having Nicky D on 2nd year dollars would have helped.

Having Nicky D on 2nd year dollars would have helped.
I think it was likely the difference. A Ben McKay beside Moore or Dunkley next to JDG or Lewis as the focal point instead of Mihocek would be big right now and I assume we’re edging closer to it, but probably have 2025 to go at least.

On Gettable, Cal was saying that with Reef out of contract; clubs will be keeping an eye on him with possibly offering more opportunity
So hopefully he gets a good number of games, and we re-sign him.
Gotta stay away from the vultures. We can't afford to lose another forward.

On Gettable, Cal was saying that with Reef out of contract; clubs will be keeping an eye on him with possibly offering more opportunity
There’s no reason other than injury that he should be out of the side now.

There are a few guys I like, some more than others. In rough order of preference, with no consideration of likelihood:
  • Conor Nash - huge midfielder, but Irish players seem to stick with their clubs.
  • Mark O'Connor - versatile & athletic, but see above comment on the Irish.
  • Josh Battle - pretty decent KPD, works well as 2nd/3rd tall defender.
  • Dusty Martin - half for the lols, half to play him at FF for a season.
  • Liam Duggan - WC co-captain so no chance IMO, but can play mid & backline well.
  • Harry Perryman - similar to above, in leadership group & can play mid & backline.
  • Kamdyn McIntosh - we need more players who look like vaudeville villains.
  • Tim Membrey - marking third tall, but is old.
  • Jamaine Jones - lots of pace and has played both half forward & half back. Would be a punt.
Nash - no.
O'Connor - ageing but would consider
Battle - On the improve.
Martin - maybe we win another flag. He's off to the Gold Coast.
Liam Duggan - We could save him.
Perryman - Expensive
McIntosh - Old
Membrey - Old. Probably best off remaining at St Kilda in his support network.
Jones - A player not performing well at West Coast should NOT be considered.

Came here to say the exact same thing.

Don’t think he’ll be in a rush to sign as he will want to get games under his built to bolster any contract offer.

I hope we are pushing hard though. I’d hate to see us with another Henry scenario where we develop a player to only get a rubbish draft pick in return.

Given our lack of young talent coming through we can’t afford to lose Reef.

Came here to say the exact same thing.

Don’t think he’ll be in a rush to sign as he will want to get games under his built to bolster any contract offer.

I hope we are pushing hard though. I’d hate to see us with another Henry scenario where we develop a player to only get a rubbish draft pick in return.

Given our lack of young talent coming through we can’t afford to lose Reef.
If he plays most of the year, he'll stay imo. Fin kept the faith even when he wasn't getting games, if Reef plays 15 games, and with the end of Elliott not too far off, he'll stay.

You make some good points, and I’m not saying I disagree, just thinking out loud. ;)

Hine was also a fan of Blake Coleman (we bid on him, since delisted) and Phoenix Spicer (North nabbed him, looks a bust) in recent times.
Reply to the edit.

Yeah I was talking a specific type of player and athletic traits/ball use/nouse/tricks, not indigenous players as a whole.

Can't afford to lose any youth that are showing good signs.

If he plays most of the year, he'll stay imo. Fin kept the faith even when he wasn't getting games, if Reef plays 15 games, and with the end of Elliott not too far off, he'll stay.

Difference with Finn is I doubt many other clubs were seriously interested, there's a dozen "Finn Macrae's" running around at VFL level.

Reef has a point of difference with his height and athleticism, so we just have to hope no one throws big offers his way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference with Finn is I doubt many other clubs were seriously interested, there's a dozen "Finn Macrae's" running around at VFL level.

Reef has a point of difference with his height and athleticism, so we just have to hope no one throws big offers his way.
Fin did have suitors last year, prob had one foot out the door prior to adams leaving. But I agree, reef has a lot going for him. Hopefully we can sign him asap. Stop the vultures from circling.

They can f*ck off.

Pies need another young gun mid to put next to Daicos and Degoey

Bailey Smith is a free agent and won't cost us anything but salary it's the best option.

Mccluggage is also a great option only issue being he is restricted.

Pies need another young gun mid to put next to Daicos and Degoey

Bailey Smith is a free agent and won't cost us anything but salary it's the best option.

Mccluggage is also a great option only issue being he is restricted.
Smith isn't a free agent.

I like what the Cats did with Ollie and Tanner. Look to trade in a promising bloke out of his first contract. Going to be hard to find the trade price for an established gun.

I'm missing something with McCluggage. Looks a solid player to me it the city world rates him enormously - would cost a bomb

Last edited:
Holmes hasn't re-signed yet has he?

I'd love to get one back on the Cats.

Our 2nd round pick tied to the Hawks should end up in the same pick range as we got for Henry.

If we had to settle so can they.

We sign Jack Henry ;)

Our 2nd round pick tied to the Hawks should end up in the same pick range as we got for Henry.

Holmes is the one we are after.

Holmes is staying at Geelong on big money.

From what I hear, we are very confident that Smith will be a Magpie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back