List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Nailed it with this!

To highlight the bolded it started last year with Shoota. He was the best available player and we brought him in. That is good list management that some on here are tearing down in the space of 3 matches. The one addition I’d add though is a clean slate with the salary cap will help. This year will be our fifth season where we haven’t had room to really move and go on a raid. I’m not sure when our past failures will run their course, but to have won a premiership when literally everything needs to be going right for you without access to probably between $600-800k in salary is frankly phenomenal.
Just a guess, but i'd be amazed if there wasn't a club paying some salary for a player at another club.
Most of it just wouldn't be advertised unless it was obvious or have a material impact.

I actually suspect it's a big reason for such a significant shift in 'pick value' that we see.

Take Shoota for example.
In contract. We offer pick 18 (or whatever) last year & 33.
Freo think that's unders and want more.
We think our F1 will be somewhere around pick 12-18...but we are more thinking that's overs if they also want pick 34 as well.

So, to get that done, Freo pay 100k of his contract this year and we give them F1 instead.

I suspect there is far more of this going on than is made publicly aware.

Just a guess, but i'd be amazed if there wasn't a club paying some salary for a player at another club.
Most of it just wouldn't be advertised unless it was obvious or have a material impact.

I actually suspect it's a big reason for such a significant shift in 'pick value' that we see.

Take Shoota for example.
We think our F1 will be somewhere around pick 12-18...but we are more thinking that's overs if they also want pick 34 as well.

So, to get that done, Freo pay 100k of his contract this year and we give them F1 instead.

I think you're right. The rumour at the time was that we took on some of Heath's salary as part of the Shaw/Adams trade.

Holmes hasn't re-signed yet has he?

I'd love to get one back on the Cats.

Our 2nd round pick tied to the Hawks should end up in the same pick range as we got for Henry.

If we had to settle so can they.
Ha ha. If they don't accept that and if our ladder position remains the same we xan walk him to the preseason draft

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Four clubs seem to be pretty confident Smith will be theirs

Hopefully our club is wrong. Predominantly outside mid with sub-par skills and fresh from an ACL? Please, no.
I've never really understood the hype around Smith. Much of it seems to be generated from his public profile and the fact that he's an outside wing that can run fast.

With the recent Doedee injury, and bearing in mind that Smith is likely to command a higher salary, he's someone I think we should be avoiding.

I've never really understood the hype around Smith. Much of it seems to be generated from his public profile and the fact that he's an outside wing that can run fast.

With the recent Doedee injury, and bearing in mind that Smith is likely to command a higher salary, he's someone I think we should be avoiding.
He had a really good finals series in 2021, his best football is very good. I don't think Beveridge moving him around has helped his development.

Take Shoota for example.

I think it would be less common than you’ve indicated and no one is doing it to the magnitude we are and have been.

It doesn’t happen on deals like Shoota’s there’s a %0 chance they’re paying him to play for us. They got the deal they got because Bell drives a hard bargain, they were desperate to keep him and he’s a ripping footballer.

The deals from the 2023 trade period that might have had a sweetener like that were BTZ for Duursma and the Grundy deal. The ones that look out of whack for decent player’s. It’ll start happening more once pick purchasing is included as a piece in the trading puzzle.

I think it would be less common than you’ve indicated and no one is doing it to the magnitude we are and have been.

It doesn’t happen on deals like Shoota’s there’s a %0 chance they’re paying him to play for us. They got the deal they got because Bell drives a hard bargain, they were desperate to keep him and he’s a ripping footballer.

The deals from the 2023 trade period that might have had a sweetener like that were BTZ for Duursma and the Grundy deal. The ones that look out of whack for decent player’s. It’ll start happening more once pick purchasing is included as a piece in the trading puzzle.
Not disputing that we're carrying more than other teams.
Just that i'd be surprised if there was a team not paying for players.

I'm also dubious of the FA compo deals....as i don't think the bluster of "we'll match" holds much weight these days.
I think behind the scenes its more a conversation of the team looking for compo pitching in to reach the band.

Clubs are under no obligations to declare it.
Everything around this is media speculation (apart from a 'yes/no/no comment on contracts' answer from a club when asked).
If the club isn't Collingwood and the number isn't huge....why bother?

I'm a bit more of the belief that clubs are more complex in their resource management than they were 10 years ago!

Not disputing that we're carrying more than other teams.
Just that i'd be surprised if there was a team not paying for players.

I'm also dubious of the FA compo deals....as i don't think the bluster of "we'll match" holds much weight these days.
I think behind the scenes its more a conversation of the team looking for compo pitching in to reach the band.

Clubs are under no obligations to declare it.
Everything around this is media speculation (apart from a 'yes/no/no comment on contracts' answer from a club when asked).
If the club isn't Collingwood and the number isn't huge....why bother?

I'm a bit more of the belief that clubs are more complex in their resource management than they were 10 years ago!
Again I’m just not buying that every team is paying for a player to be on an opposition list.

I’m also not sure of the relevance to this discussion in the rest of your post? If it’s a separate thought bubble I don’t really have much of a take 👍

If it’s in reference to Shoota it’s irrelevant because he was under contract. The market changes in 2024 if we don’t get it done in 2023 with more clubs hunting his signature.

I wonder if there is a chance to get Jack Macrae seeing as he’s not getting a game?
What’s the end goal? Are we trading Fin? Two of Mitchell/ Pendles/ Steele retiring? A salary dump if we lose a couple of seasoned bodies and it works, but I think he’s outside the Dogs 23 for a reason and at our best I don’t see room for him if his brother kicks on. Like Oliver buyer beware.

Wouldn’t mind us monitoring Fairlie at the Bullants or Garcia at the Dogs. Both had big games on the weekend and have been reasonably good performers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the end goal? Are we trading Fin? Two of Mitchell/ Pendles/ Steele retiring? A salary dump if we lose a couple of seasoned bodies and it works, but I think he’s outside the Dogs 23 for a reason and at our best I don’t see room for him if his brother kicks on. Like Oliver buyer beware.
I'd be interested. And I do think both Pendles and Sidey are in their last years.

I'd be interested. And I do think both Pendles and Sidey are in their last years.
Given your interest on upgrading in the draft which leads to a longer term rejuvenation over cashing in on windows I would have thought your interest would sit with Smith. That’s where mine would considering the likely trade costs of the two. Not to mention Smith is a better fit from a traits perspective. Why Macrae though? I think like his brother he’s midfield or bust and he doesn’t have the running power that the modern midfield game demands.

Given your interest on upgrading in the draft which leads to a longer term rejuvenation over cashing in on windows I would have thought your interest would sit with Smith. That’s where mine would considering the likely trade costs of the two. Not to mention Smith is a better fit from a traits perspective. Why Macrae though? I think like his brother he’s midfield or bust and he doesn’t have the running power that the modern midfield game demands.

I don't think Macrae would cost in terms of trade.

In terms of running - a couple of plodders is fine. And most of our plodders will be gone soon.

Smith would be great, but will cost a heap in terms of both trade and salary.

Freo laughing all the way to the bank right now 😂

What a massive fail this trade has been so far.

Plenty of time yet for Schultz, but would we have rated him a top-10 pick? Because that's likely what Freo will get.

KPFs were the weakest part of the Cats from 2007-2011. Mooney was solid. Podsiadly was OK. Hawkins didn't come good until the 2011 GF. They weren't really any stornger than Mihocek and McStay. They're mids and defenders were off the charts good and Stevie J was a fantastic forward. Chapman good too.
Can't agree with they were not a lot stronger than ours. 2007-2011 Cats had strong KPF set up. They may have been even better elswhere but they were well ahead of a Mihochek, McStay combo.

Cam Mooney was AA in O7 with 67 goals and then had seasons of 52, 46 and 36 , he was done by 2011. Pods comes in in 2010 and kicks 49 in duo with Mooneys 36 and the 52 in the 2011 flag season. Hawkins is developing from 2007 but the 34 goals in 2009 is still solid back up to Mooney. it was well before the 2011 GF though that he took off. His last 9 matches of that season were big, av 2.4 goals a game, had a great finals series and was dominant in the GF. It was the start of his launch to an all time great career.

In comparison Brodie is a warrior and gets marked up because he has done a lot of his work without much support. Still he is not the goals scoring threat the Geelong forwards were. McStay is handy, has kicked 28 goals in a season as his best ever, but he is not in the conversation with the Geelong boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back