List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cats smashed us in 2009. It’s what led to the recruitment of Ball and Jolly.
2011 was the one that got away.
2012 was never going to be a flag.
2012 cant agree

Yes we had a horror preseason with 3 ACLs and multiple other injuries which meant we started hopelessly undermanned in round 1. Bucks coaching was nothing short of remarkable that year with all the outside noise to contend with also. Righted the ship, after round 3 we won 10 in a row and by round 20 we knocked off Syd, who were to win the flag, and were equal top of the ladder on points. Injuries caught up with us late, then Johnny Macs funeral in Sorrento before the Syd trip for a PF snuffed us out. We were a great travelling team and would have been a chance ok knocking Syd off without those terrible events.

Bit cursed that year but if we had some good luck instead of bad Bucks could have had a flag in his 1st year.

Can't agree with they were not a lot stronger than ours. 2007-2011 Cats had strong KPF set up. They may have been even better elswhere but they were well ahead of a Mihochek, McStay combo.

Cam Mooney was AA in O7 with 67 goals and then had seasons of 52, 46 and 36 , he was done by 2011. Pods comes in in 2010 and kicks 49 in duo with Mooneys 36 and the 52 in the 2011 flag season. Hawkins is developing from 2007 but the 34 goals in 2009 is still solid back up to Mooney. it was well before the 2011 GF though that he took off. His last 9 matches of that season were big, av 2.4 goals a game, had a great finals series and was dominant in the GF. It was the start of his launch to an all time great career.

In comparison Brodie is a warrior and gets marked up because he has done a lot of his work without much support. Still he is not the goals scoring threat the Geelong forwards were. McStay is handy, has kicked 28 goals in a season as his best ever, but he is not in the conversation with the Geelong boys.
I think you've got to level the goals for an era when tall forwards kicked more of them as teams didn't yet flood as much. Buddy was incredible, but he had about 200 shots for goal in 2008 and Roughy kicked 80 in the same year. That just couldn't happen in the current game.

Mooney was very good, and his best was better than Checkers, but not as consistent as Mihocek. I'd have them on a par.

2007-2011 Hawkins wasn't Hawkins yet. He was in and out of the team. Pods was about McStay - solid player. The thing with McStay isnt the individual goals it's the team goals - lots of soft drops for crumpers.

Kofs were the weakest part of an incredible team.

Didn’t he go at pick 31?
He’s a guy that, IMO, we should have been able to move up to grab
(I know if he had slipped to mid 30s we were going to move up)
Agreed, wish we got him I think Twomey at the time said if it wasn't the Lions it would have been West Coast. After our first we were never going to get back in to that spot of the draft. Also in reference to TradeDraft's comment the pick we had was 19 that slid to 25. We won't have a first this year unless we lose someone in a draft full of mids.

I am pretty sure Morris kicked 5 in lions intraclub and 4.2 last week in the VFL.

Agreed, wish we got him I think Twomey at the time said if it wasn't the Lions it would have been West Coast. After our first we were never going to get back in to that spot of the draft. Also in reference to TradeDraft's comment the pick we had was 19 that slid to 25. We won't have a first this year unless we lose someone in a draft full of mids.

I am pretty sure Morris kicked 5 in lions intraclub and 4.2 last week in the VFL.
We should have taken him with our first

Really wanted him at draft time as our Checkers replacement
He’d have been nice but he’s also 3cm smaller than Reef who everyone considers undersized. Unless he’s built like a tank like Checkers he’s probably a 3rd tall at best at AFL level.

He’d have been nice but he’s also 3cm smaller than Reef who everyone considers undersized. Unless he’s built like a tank like Checkers he’s probably a 3rd tall at best at AFL level.
Yeah, I also think he’s 3rd tall / not focus KPP
Let’s see how Reef goes - hoping he makes it but not sold

Hoping w AJ / Reef / Fin that they all come good - or at least show enough for trade value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall we being linked to Morris with our 2nd pick, but once the 2nd night came through, Lions pounced once Eagles took Archer. I would have been happy with either.
Reid is one we should keep tabs on imo. If he looks promising we should be in his ear to come back to Vic after his first contract before his trade price really rises.

I think you've got to level the goals for an era when tall forwards kicked more of them as teams didn't yet flood as much. Buddy was incredible, but he had about 200 shots for goal in 2008 and Roughy kicked 80 in the same year. That just couldn't happen in the current game.

Mooney was very good, and his best was better than Checkers, but not as consistent as Mihocek. I'd have them on a par.

2007-2011 Hawkins wasn't Hawkins yet. He was in and out of the team. Pods was about McStay - solid player. The thing with McStay isnt the individual goals it's the team goals - lots of soft drops for crumpers.

Kofs were the weakest part of an incredible team.
Buddy was a freak i with 113 in 08 and is in a league of his own. Roughy kicked 75 that year and placed 3rd in the Coleman, same as he would have in 2023 if he kicked 75. Charlie topped 80. There has been a small drop off in the numbers but it would only be 10%ish. The years Mooney had in Geelongs 07-10 were well above Brodys. As for McStay v Pods Pods kicked far more goals in his 5 year career that Dan has in 10 years. 20,21,22,25 and 28 are Dans best 5 seasons. Thats a lot of soft drops, which itself is a soft measure. If he was within say 10% of Pods total maybe bring that into play but not when Pods outgoals him so clearly.

Buddy was a freak i with 113 in 08 and is in a league of his own. Roughy kicked 75 that year and placed 3rd in the Coleman, same as he would have in 2023 if he kicked 75. Charlie topped 80. There has been a small drop off in the numbers but it would only be 10%ish. The years Mooney had in Geelongs 07-10 were well above Brodys. As for McStay v Pods Pods kicked far more goals in his 5 year career that Dan has in 10 years. 20,21,22,25 and 28 are Dans best 5 seasons. Thats a lot of soft drops, which itself is a soft measure. If he was within say 10% of Pods total maybe bring that into play but not when Pods outgoals him so clearly.
Roughys 75 was as a secondary tall - there was simply more space and it was an era where tall defenders were much more inclined to spoil rather than going for the mark, so goals were the main measure, but in the current game, providing a contest and bringing it to ground when out of position is just as important. Plus much more focus on sacrificial leading, blocking and opening up space, contribution to pressure, etc... I don't think a straight goal comparison works as a comparative measure. The only fair comparison would be where they're ranked versus their contemporaries. It's probably the Cats duo, but not by that much.

Last edited:

The sad thing is we’ll likely never get to see Checkers in a 9th or 10th season which were Mooney’s best years but pound for pound across their first 7 seasons (Checkers current year), and even across their careers in totality, I’d take Checkers in a heartbeat. He’s just been so much more consistent.

Mark Keane’s been reasonable today, how do we convince him he owes us?

He's dominated today. Would look great back in the B&W.

18 kicks at 91%, 11 marks, 0 frees against

COME BACK!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back