Game Day Collingwood versus Port Adelaide, Adelaide Oval, 22 July 2023, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
And so we're reaching the last chapters.

A couple of weeks ago, the Pies and Port were the two clear frontrunners. Brisbane have continued their typical at the top but do we really trust them spot. Recent weeks have thrown up a couple of other challengers into the fray in the perennial Geelong and the slime mould of the competition, Carlton (for God's sake, I can't believe that primordial sludge has dragged itself out of the swamp toward the finals. Burn it with fire!).

Well, one week at a time. This week it's Port, and they're an elite team, despite last week's defeat.

This will be a real test and I can't wait to see how we stack up.

I try to keep up with the strategic questions and game plans but sometimes I lose track of the other teams and where they're at. This is the case with Port. They have an elite interceptor, Allir Allir, and a brilliant young midfield, and a good forward line, and they seem to be the most "balanced" in game style between contest, rebound, forward half and back half game style. That's compared say to THE SLIME MOULD who are strictly a contest team.

In some ways, I think the question will really be, can Port stop our lightning ball movement? The only team really able to do it has been Melbourne. For Port to do it, they'll need to be -- as Maynard told them -- at their best.

Ultimately, though, if you look at the teams, we have the edge. Our defence will get on top, and their only chance will be to emulate Melbourne in that phase. And I just don't think they can do it for four quarters. Dixon looks to be a beaten up old warrior for them nowadays, but he's a key for their forward line.

Then there's the question of playing in Adelaide. That probably gives Port a 2-4 goal advantage.

And if it rains that will affect our ball movement and bring us back a cog -- especially in our counterattacking game.

But Mihocek will be back. Cameron will also be brought in I think. McStay certainly plays. So the vulnerable are Cox and Johnson and ... ? I'm keen to know your thoughts.

Well, that's it from me this week.

The Washup

The 80s rock gods may Never Tear Port Apart, but in the end, the Pies will -- by 15 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brody Mihocek and Darcy Cameron return for Saturday’s clash, while Ash Johnson and Billy Frampton have been omitted.

Dashing defender Oleg Markov will start as the substitute.

PORT ADELAIDE v COLLINGWOOD
BJeremy HoweDarcy MooreIsaac Quaynor
HBBrayden MaynardNathan MurphyScott Pendlebury
CJohn NobleTaylor AdamsJosh Daicos
HFBeau McCreeryBrody MihocekPatrick Lipinski
FJamie ElliottDan McStaySteele Sidebottom
RDarcy CameronTom MitchellNick Daicos
INTJordan De GoeyBobby HillJack Crisp
Mason Cox
SUBOleg Markov
EMGFinlay MacraeJack GinnivanAsh Johnson

Harsh changes, but probably the right ones. I’d be interested to see how we go with Johnson over Cox at some point before finals (a bit more mobility), but I think this is the right call for now.

Brody Mihocek and Darcy Cameron return for Saturday’s clash, while Ash Johnson and Billy Frampton have been omitted.

Dashing defender Oleg Markov will start as the substitute.

PORT ADELAIDE v COLLINGWOOD
BJeremy HoweDarcy MooreIsaac Quaynor
HBBrayden MaynardNathan MurphyScott Pendlebury
CJohn NobleTaylor AdamsJosh Daicos
HFBeau McCreeryBrody MihocekPatrick Lipinski
FJamie ElliottDan McStaySteele Sidebottom
RDarcy CameronTom MitchellNick Daicos
INTJordan De GoeyBobby HillJack Crisp
Mason Cox
SUBOleg Markov
EMGFinlay MacraeJack GinnivanAsh Johnson
That's a bloody good side.

Hopefully the resurgence in both Crisp and Maynard’s form means we won’t lose too much rebound speed with Markov as sub.

Either way the game will tell us a lot about the better mix to go into finals with.

Hopefully the resurgence in both Crisp and Maynard’s form means we won’t lose too much rebound speed with Markov as sub.

Either way the game will tell us a lot about the better mix to go into finals with.

Tough on Markov, but he was essentially against Crisp in the half back role. He is not going to win that. We then have the ability to flip Daicos or Pendles back to put Crisp in the midfield should we need to.

Yeah, I'm looking at it as:
Mihocek for Johnson;
Cameron for Frampton;
Markov to supply a burst of pace when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back