Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're planning to unite people en masse in the available public forums to rise up against the club it's probably a good idea not to go into said forums and start insulting people who have been in them a lot longer than you, and who are pretty respected.
Lol. Respected? And who insults who first? Youā€™re clearly in aforementioned circle jerk. Back in your box. Forum full of ******* idiots.

Lol. Respected? And who insults who first? Youā€™re clearly in aforementioned circle jerk. Back in your box. Forum full of ******* idiots.
Sure thereā€™s some idiots on here but thereā€™s a lot of respected posters as well. Guess which group youā€™ve attached yourself to?

Tbh I have you pinned as a troll account as well. Not many new comers post with the amount of negativity as you have displayed.

Thereā€™s been a few over the last couple of weeks and youā€™re definitely amongst them.

Says the person who averages almost 4 times the number of daily posts than the poster they're accusing of this.

How's about you jog along back to Facebook/ Twitter? Even better, don't be so gutless that you feel the need to use an alt account.
Isn't the other account nuked?

Warning:
The following article contains Karl Langdon thoughts
It may not be suitable for people with actual mental capacity

Karl Langdon: North Melbourneā€™s dismal rebuild under microscope as they rival West Coast for Wooden Spoon​

Karl Langdon
The West Australian
Sat, 21 May 2022

Of all the accolades in footy, thereā€™s only one you donā€™t want bestowed upon you: The wooden spoon.

As legend has it, the original practice of handing out ā€˜wooden spoonsā€™ comes from Cambridge University in the 19th century. The unwanted prize was awarded to the student with the lowest mark in mathematical tripos.

It doesnā€™t take too much number-crunching in 2022 to determine whoā€™s in the hunt for the AFLā€™s wooden spoon this year.

Most would suggest it is a race in two, although Greater Western Sydney could enter the race if West Coast defeat them on Sunday. Thatā€™s not an impossible prospect given the number of changes at the Giants this week, including three first-choice players withdrawing 24 hours out from the bounce.

The Eagles have been in the news all season with their trials and tribulations, but itā€™s North Melbourne who need to be put under the microscope.

This is a club that that finished fourth in 2014, winning two finals and playing off in a preliminary final before being beaten by eventual runner-up Sydney.

They backed it up with another run to a prelim in 2015, and squeezed into the finals mix again a year later. Since then, itā€™s been a tale of woe.

The Kangaroos finished 15th in 2017, ninth in 2018, 12th in 2019, 17th in 2020 and stone motherless last in 2021.

In that span, they have retired or moved on old stock, including the clubā€™s games record holder Brent Harvey, who played 23 games in 2016 and could have gone around again. Daniel Wells went to Collingwood, Michael Firrito retired, and Drew Petrie ended up at West Coast.

At the end of 2016, North Melbourne decided it was out with the old and in with the new. In the years that followed they lost Lindsay Thomas, Scott Thompson and Jamie Macmillan to retirement, while plenty of others took up opportunities at rival clubs.

Players such as Ben Brown (Melbourne), Shaun Higgins (Geelong), Trent Dumont (Port Adelaide), Mason Wood (St Kilda) and most recently Robbie Tarrant (Richmond) could all be running around in blue and white colours right now.

Would these players make North Melbourne better? In some cases the answer is definitely yes. In others, itā€™s debatable. But while the clean-out has taken place, the clubā€™s predicament has gone from bad to worse.

In 2016 they traded in Paul Ahern, Nathan Hrovat and Marley Williams. In 2018, it was Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec, Dom Tyson and Aaron Hall. Aiden Bonar, Atu Bosenavulagi, Jaidyn Stephenson, Lachie Young and Callum Coleman-Jones have all followed as inclusions from rival clubs.

The recruiting team has failed miserably. These players have been so inconsistent and in most cases not good enough to hold a regular spot in a bottom-eight team.

North Melbourne have had a few first-round and top-10 picks, such as Jy Simpkin in 2016, who is a great player. Luke Davies-Uniacke - Pick 4 from 2017 - is still finding his feet. Tarryn Thomas, Will Phillips and last yearā€™s top pick Jason Horne-Francis have all shown signs that can be great players.

All of these youngsters are in the team at the moment, but itā€™s the experience around them that has evaporated. Ben Cunnington has hardly played recently due to illness, Todd Goldstein has been a pillar of strength for a decade but his run is close to the end, and while Jack Ziebell and Luke McDonald can hold their heads high, sadly, that is about it.

Cameron Zurhaar can play. Lachie Young and Bailey Scott are getting better but they are far from stars of the game, and itā€™s what North Melbourne have a lack of right now.
Their list management has been very poorly handled, including the past two years with the trade deals that they have done, and they do not deserve a priority pick for mismanagement.
Even amid the backdrop of West Coastā€™s horror season, back-to-back wooden spoons are there for the taking for North Melbourne. Itā€™s without doubt the worst list in the AFL, and unfortunately, the Roos are years away from being any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who asked you. duck off. Back to your circle jerk. Should be ashamed using that avatar.
giphy.gif

Warning:

Karl Langdon: North Melbourneā€™s dismal rebuild under microscope as they rival West Coast for Wooden Spoon​

Karl Langdon
The West Australian
Sat, 21 May 2022

Of all the accolades in footy, thereā€™s only one you donā€™t want bestowed upon you: The wooden spoon.

As legend has it, the original practice of handing out ā€˜wooden spoonsā€™ comes from Cambridge University in the 19th century. The unwanted prize was awarded to the student with the lowest mark in mathematical tripos.

It doesnā€™t take too much number-crunching in 2022 to determine whoā€™s in the hunt for the AFLā€™s wooden spoon this year.

Most would suggest it is a race in two, although Greater Western Sydney could enter the race if West Coast defeat them on Sunday. Thatā€™s not an impossible prospect given the number of changes at the Giants this week, including three first-choice players withdrawing 24 hours out from the bounce.

The Eagles have been in the news all season with their trials and tribulations, but itā€™s North Melbourne who need to be put under the microscope.

This is a club that that finished fourth in 2014, winning two finals and playing off in a preliminary final before being beaten by eventual runner-up Sydney.

They backed it up with another run to a prelim in 2015, and squeezed into the finals mix again a year later. Since then, itā€™s been a tale of woe.

The Kangaroos finished 15th in 2017, ninth in 2018, 12th in 2019, 17th in 2020 and stone motherless last in 2021.

In that span, they have retired or moved on old stock, including the clubā€™s games record holder Brent Harvey, who played 23 games in 2016 and could have gone around again. Daniel Wells went to Collingwood, Michael Firrito retired, and Drew Petrie ended up at West Coast.

At the end of 2016, North Melbourne decided it was out with the old and in with the new. In the years that followed they lost Lindsay Thomas, Scott Thompson and Jamie Macmillan to retirement, while plenty of others took up opportunities at rival clubs.

Players such as Ben Brown (Melbourne), Shaun Higgins (Geelong), Trent Dumont (Port Adelaide), Mason Wood (St Kilda) and most recently Robbie Tarrant (Richmond) could all be running around in blue and white colours right now.

Would these players make North Melbourne better? In some cases the answer is definitely yes. In others, itā€™s debatable. But while the clean-out has taken place, the clubā€™s predicament has gone from bad to worse.

In 2016 they traded in Paul Ahern, Nathan Hrovat and Marley Williams. In 2018, it was Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec, Dom Tyson and Aaron Hall. Aiden Bonar, Atu Bosenavulagi, Jaidyn Stephenson, Lachie Young and Callum Coleman-Jones have all followed as inclusions from rival clubs.

The recruiting team has failed miserably. These players have been so inconsistent and in most cases not good enough to hold a regular spot in a bottom-eight team.

North Melbourne have had a few first-round and top-10 picks, such as Jy Simpkin in 2016, who is a great player. Luke Davies-Uniacke - Pick 4 from 2017 - is still finding his feet. Tarryn Thomas, Will Phillips and last yearā€™s top pick Jason Horne-Francis have all shown signs that can be great players.

All of these youngsters are in the team at the moment, but itā€™s the experience around them that has evaporated. Ben Cunnington has hardly played recently due to illness, Todd Goldstein has been a pillar of strength for a decade but his run is close to the end, and while Jack Ziebell and Luke McDonald can hold their heads high, sadly, that is about it.

Cameron Zurhaar can play. Lachie Young and Bailey Scott are getting better but they are far from stars of the game, and itā€™s what North Melbourne have a lack of right now.
Their list management has been very poorly handled, including the past two years with the trade deals that they have done, and they do not deserve a priority pick for mismanagement.
Even amid the backdrop of West Coastā€™s horror season, back-to-back wooden spoons are there for the taking for North Melbourne. Itā€™s without doubt the worst list in the AFL, and unfortunately, the Roos are years away from being any good.
Wow. Fact free garbage there.

Warning:

Karl Langdon
The West Australian
Sat, 21 May 2022

I assume he had no issue with Eagles getting three PPs for tanking though?

Indigenous Sport Month: How trailblazers father Jimmy and uncle Phil Krakouer set tone for son​

Father Jimmy and uncle Phil Krakouer were real trailblazers when they landed at North Melbourne, but son Andrew says he only realised their incredible impact much later.

Andrew Krakouer

It wasnā€™t until after Iā€™d started my AFL career that I got it.
Iā€™m not talking about handling everything involved in being an AFL player ā€” believe me that took time ā€” what Iā€™m referring to is understanding what my father and uncle had done for Aboriginal kids everywhere.

They created a pathway for so many to follow, including myself and it wasnā€™t until I got to Richmond that I appreciated what theyā€™d done at North Melbourne and the impact it had in the decades that followed.

First of all I didnā€™t realise how good they were and it initially felt strange being referred to as the son of North Melbourne legend Jimmy Krakouer.

Famous brothers Phil (left) and Jimmy Krakouer who set alight the VFL during the eighties.

Famous brothers Phil (left) and Jimmy Krakouer who set alight the VFL during the eighties.
My only memories of the North days was going to the creche at Arden St with Uncle Philā€™s kids and even looking at photos now from back in those days, a lot of it still doesnā€™t register.

What I quickly realised when I came over to Melbourne was the sense of awe that the Kangaroos team was held in and how it was full of superstars like Ross Glendinning, Malcolm Blight and Wayne Schimmelbusch.

My dad and uncleā€™s journey to get there was incredible. Going from the bush of Mt Barker to the bright lights of Perth to play with Claremont was a huge move.

So then to go from the WAFL to playing at North Melbourne in the VFL across the other side of the country was really incredible.

It was a hard time for Aboriginal people in general around that time so for them to create a pathway, to take on this role as trailblazers and pioneers was so important for future generations.
Jimmy Krakouer during his time with St Kilda back in 1990.

Jimmy Krakouer during his time with St Kilda back in 1990.

Itā€™s funny because despite what my father had done I didnā€™t aspire to play AFL when I was younger. I enjoyed running around with my mates at the Gladstone Park Kookaburras in Melbourne before we moved back to Perth.

It was the same over there, I just enjoyed playing with my mates at the Fremantle Hawks and getting some feedback from Dad who was always my harshest critic.

Things changed when at 16 I had my first daughter and then I knew I had to get a job and luckily that turned out to be in the AFL with Richmond.

It was a major culture shock and took me a couple of years to get acquainted with the intense demands of the elite level, from training schedules to the importance of diet and sleep.

By my third year I finally understood what was required and after a couple of pre-seasons under my belt Iā€™d established myself as a regular senior player and was offered a three-year contract.

Then in 2006 my journey diverted down the wrong path.

Andrew Krakouer says he only realised the incredible contribution of his father and uncle later in his career. Picture: Supplied

Andrew Krakouer says he only realised the incredible contribution of his father and uncle later in his career. Picture: Supplied

One stupid decision completely changed my life. I did the wrong thing, there are no ifs, buts or maybes about it. Iā€™m fully accountable for what happened and how it impacted a lot of peopleā€™s lives negatively.

It was tough for me to be able to navigate through. Being locked in a prison cell and not being able to be there for my family was devastating.

Funnily enough it was an old cliche from football ā€” ā€œYou only control what you can controlā€ ā€” which helped me get to a good mental space given the environment I found myself in.

Obviously during that time there were a lot of things I couldnā€™t control in prison so I just focused on what I could and what would make me a better man when I was back with my family.

What happened next I didnā€™t think would happen in my wildest dreams. My love of football saw me go back to Swan Districts as the club had supported me when I was away. They created a really safe work environment and space for me to be able to thrive and succeed with my football.

I was able to go out and have fun with the result being the best year of my football career and one of the best years of my life.

Everything fell into place, we were a very good team and the longer the season went the better it panned out. Winning the Sandover Medal, the grand final and the Simpson Medal put me well truly back on the AFL radar.

[PLAYERCARD]Tony Lockett[/PLAYERCARD] with Jimmy Krakouer and his son Andrew, aged seven at the time.

Tony Lockett with Jimmy Krakouer and his son Andrew, aged seven at the time.
Going back became a no-brainer when the opportunity to play with one of my best mates, Leon Davis, at Collingwood emerged. I was a lot better prepared this time around for the AFL, both mentally and physically, and ended up playing 23 of 25 games in my first season.

It was a crazy scenario, having been out of the system for three years, here I was in a grand final against Geelong in a game which was in the balance at the start of the last quarter.

Unfortunately, the Cats were too good on the day and denied me the ultimate fairytale ending.

A knee injury early in the next season set me back and I never really got back to where I wanted over the next couple of years. I then found myself out of favour with coach Nathan Buckley and the end came quicker than I expected.

There were some incidents that happened when I was at Collingwood and when I feel the time is right I will elaborate. Everyone is on their own journey and my brother Heritier Lumumba is doing that now and I respect and support him.

When I reflect back on my journey so far I come back to how important it is for Aboriginal people to see people who look like them, talk like them, have the same culture and background as them, on TV doing great things.

It is relatable and plants a seed that hopefully one day I can do that.

Thatā€™s what my dad and uncle did and hopefully Iā€™ve helped grow that pathway even further for the next generation.

Warning:

Karl Langdon
The West Australian
Sat, 21 May 2022

Such a nothing article. It's like he's got a hold of an AI machine that summarises articles from teenagers who submit stuff to The Roar.

Warning:

Karl Langdon
The West Australian
Sat, 21 May 2022

Deflection 101.

Most of Langdon's historical observations are hard to deny, particularly around our recruiting which has been atrocious, but he falls for the same trap as all other casual media observers of our Club do - they think there's something worthwhile in us being competitive but not winning premierships. Condescending stuff really.

Eagles could not win a premiership for 50 years - and they'd still be in the comp they're that wealthy. Not us. No chance in hell.

The current administration decided the rot of mid table mediocrity had to end. It was slowly killing us - and to their credit they had the balls to do it.

Some posters here run around like headless chickens on how we are now - but make no mistake he's right it was self inflicted and I share the Club's vision it's the only way for us - despite the pain.

Also, this worst list stuff is so simplistic. Worst senior players in the league? Yep no doubt. One of the most unbalanced lists in the league? Yep hard to argue. But not even close when you assess the quality of our younger players. Things can change quickly with that level of talent.

The current administration decided the rot of mid table mediocrity had to end. It was slowly killing us - and to their credit they had the balls to do it.

Some posters here run around like headless chickens on how we are now - but make no mistake he's right it was self inflicted and I share the Club's vision it's the only way for us - despite the pain.
Great points.

Stevo spoke in the Premiership Club before yesterday's game and he said pretty much the same thing.

As an interesting aside, when he was asked which current player reminds him of himself, he nominated Jy. Not only that, but he said Jy "will be the next captain". Not "might be" or "should be".

We all know this. Whatā€™s she said now?
I presume it was the article in yesterdays Age about *Essendons troubles during the week . I skimmed it and it was a lot of nonsense but at the end she mentionsā€™*Essendons passionate supporter baseā€¦ā€ blah blah then, out of the blue and for no good reason says ā€œif only North Melbourne could command such fervourā€. I mean , come on, her hatred of us knows no bounds.

I presume it was the article in yesterdays Age about *Essendons troubles during the week . I skimmed it and it was a lot of nonsense but at the end she mentionsā€™*Essendons passionate supporter baseā€¦ā€ blah blah then, out of the blue and for no good reason says ā€œif only North Melbourne could command such fervourā€. I mean , come on, her hatred of us knows no bounds.
The kicker for me was that she was actually trying to play down the fact that the club CEO was investigated for getting pissed up at a Xmas function and making sleazy comments to female attendees. Could you imagine if Amarfio did that? She'd be calling for the death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back