Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's room in our collective memory and on the honour boards for Wayne Carey the footballer, sure

but the current iteration of the North Melbourne Football Club has no room for Wayne Carey the human being

he can say what he wants in the media and be a former club legend when it suits him but i personally hope we continue to keep him at arm's length from the footy club
Yep. Tend to agree. He caused a lot of angst for our footy club.

Wayne Carey says North Melbourne has hit rock bottom and is hiding from full extent of problems​

Wayne Carey has weighed in on North Melbourne’s struggles, declaring that it has slumped to its lowest point. And he has a message for the club.

Jay Clark

May 25, 2022 - 6:22PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

North Melbourne’s greatest player Wayne Carey says the Kangaroos are a broken club which needs to admit they’ve got problems on and off the field.

Coach David Noble and chief executive Ben Amarfio have come under mounting scrutiny amid allegations the club is underperformed on the field and fractured off it.

And Carey said it was worrying that No. 1 pick Jason Horne-Francis didn’t have the information or “confidence” to tell the club he was headed home to South Australia for mother’s day after Round 8.

The Kangaroos are in damage control following revelations three recruiting staff, including ex-list boss Glenn Luff, departed the club on the eve of the mid-season draft amid claims of a disconnect between key parts of the club.

Wayne Carey is concerned about the Jason Horne-Francis situation. Picture: Michael Klein

Wayne Carey is concerned about the Jason Horne-Francis situation. Picture: Michael Klein

Luff was list manager but was moved into a new pro-scouting role focusing on mature talent late last year, when he handed over key contracting duties back to football boss Brady Rawlings for this season.

Luff’s resignation was a shock to the club despite criticism of some of its recruiting calls including handing Melbourne the Kysaiah Pickett selection and picking Will Phillips over Logan McDonald.

Carey, who said he spoke to several former North Melbourne teammates on Wednesday, said the Kangaroos had hit rock bottom and should not be delusional about the extent of their problems.

“This is as low as this football club has been since I’ve known it,” Carey said on Triple M.

“The really worrying part for me is … North Melbourne footy club think everything is OK.

“I don’t think they are being completely honest with themselves because you can’t improve until you actually acknowledge that we are broken.

“I don’t think they have acknowledged that, and I’m talking about off the ground, because we know they are broken on ground, but I’m talking about off ground (as well).

“There is too much going on. You don’t have people just resigning for no reason.”

Pressure is mounting on Noble and in particular his relationships with younger players after apologising to the group about the harshness of his feedback early in the season.

Pressure is mounting on David Noble. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Pressure is mounting on David Noble. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Adelaide will ramp up efforts to poach South Australian gem Horne-Francis, who failed to tell the club he was going interstate to visit his mother.

Horne-Francis is out of contract at the end of next season and has deferred talks on a contract extension.

Carey said there was an obvious breakdown.

“The key to this story is that he didn’t have the confidence to go to a leader, whether it be the coach or someone else at that footy club and say ‘listen, I just want to go home, I’m a bit home sick or want to see mum’,” Carey said.

“If he had the confidence in someone at that footy club, he would have asked.”

Legendary North Melbourne and former Carlton coach Denis Pagan said he had faith the Kangaroos would rise up like Melbourne, but was adamant they were years away from blossoming.

“It is going to be a slow burn, but I am confident they will get it right,” Pagan said.
“Look at Melbourne and where they were six or seven years ago.

“You can’t win without talent and they are still building so they need to keep positive and set themselves small targets.”

Kozzy picket is a gun but we ultimately took powell with that selection, would love either but powell prolly a better fit for us.

Last edited:
Should I be watching 360? I'm not sure I can be arsed. This s**t is taxing

David King on Footy 360. The only adult in the room. Summed the situation up. The next 6 weeks on field will tell the story of the club and the rebuild. To players and staff, if you dont want to be here then go somewhere else and good luck to you.

For me I've been there for 60 years and I'm not going anywhere. Stick thick' we will come through Shinboners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t sure if he was going to unload or be calm. Thank god he was calm. Now I can turn off from the grovling piece of sensationalism Wheatley

He's smart because he let's nobody off but he still rationalised things like the JHF stuff. I also like that his last words were that the best teams now got there with supplemental help from the AFL which is basically telling a couple of media big hitters priority picks should be forthcoming and fairly.

I've been very impressed with him but he's been at club level since playing, he was at Richmond at their worst so his perspective on the rebuild has been straight down the line. Compare that to Carey who thinks this is the worst state he's ever seen the club in with no sense of perspective.

David King on Footy 360. The only adult in the room. Summed the situation up. The next 6 weeks on field will tell the story of the club and the rebuild. To players and staff, if you dont want to be here then go somewhere else and good luck to you.

For me I've been there for 60 years and I'm not going anywhere. Stick thick' we will come through Shinboners.
Loved his messaging. He didn't shy away from the obvious disunity at the club, and didn't tow the club line of sweeping it under the rug, but used it as a galvanizing point and brought this back to where it should be - let's all climb on board and win some *in flags.

Some of the metrics we're tracking internally we're ahead of compared to this time last year btw. According to Noble in the Q&A

Mildly concerning.
I wanted the actual metrics and results!

"Oh yeah, we measure some stuff and some of it looks a bit better. Like my time from the box to the ground at 1/4 time has reduced by 7 seconds"

Renovate animos

At least a club that rarely gets FTA game time is certainly getting a s**t load of publicity at the moment. 🤷🏻‍♀️
When I jumped on SEN’s website today I actually had to do a double take. I thought I was actually on the NMFC website. Every story highlighted on their homepage was North related. Blue & white everywhere. Thankfully, beautiful colours.

Kingy doesn’t miss.

Couple interesting things I thought:

• Finnegan got a good offer from Hawthorn, the club should have made a bigger deal about his tenure as a great club servant though.
  • Got awkward about the Luff one, eluded to a disagreement. You’ve gotta assume this is Noble/Rawlings/Amarfio.
  • When the scavengers came for Noble, he was quick to bring Amarfio into it and defend Noble.
  • Noble isn’t delusional that things aren’t going well on-field.

Need to remember that Kingy would 100% know the majority of what is going on, but obviously cannot say that.

Kingy doesn’t miss.

Couple interesting things I thought:

• Finnegan got a good offer from Hawthorn, the club should have made a bigger deal about his tenure as a great club servant though.
  • Got awkward about the Luff one, eluded to a disagreement. You’ve gotta assume this is Noble/Rawlings/Amarfio.
  • When the scavengers came for Noble, he was quick to bring Amarfio into it and defend Noble.
  • Noble isn’t delusional that things aren’t going well on-field.

Need to remember that Kingy would 100% know the majority of what is going on, but obviously cannot say that.

Noble spoke publicly about how disappointed he was that the Brisbane spray was leaked from a confidentiality POV.

Can anyone confirm Luff as the source of the leak?

Alternatively I could see the footy Dept feeling fairly let down by Luffs drafting/trading/contracts in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back