Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL changing Hall of Fame rules as Cable faces court decision​

By Jake Niall

June 16, 2023 — 5.00am

The AFL is changing the rules of the Australian Football Hall of Fame to enable the league to suspend or revoke the membership of those who are convicted of indictable offences or have engaged in serious misconduct that brought the game into disrepute.

The change to the hall of fame rules comes as former North Melbourne and Western Australian football great Barry Cable is about to face a civil court judgement on allegations of child sexual abuse, with the Perth district court handing down a decision on Friday.

AFL legend Barry Cable has faced a civil trial over allegations of child sexual abuse dating back to his playing days in the 1960s and ’70s

AFL legend Barry Cable has faced a civil trial over allegations of child sexual abuse dating back to his playing days in the 1960s and ’70s

The AFL may have to rule on Cable’s status – he was made an official Legend in 2012 and is among the most decorated players in the code – after the next hall of fame induction later this month, if there is a judgment against him in court. The judgment would not be a conviction because it is a civil case.

This masthead has attempted to contact Cable.

The revised rules will not be active until after the June 27 induction dinner.

Related Article​

AFL off-field behaviour

New witnesses detail alleged abuse by AFL legend Barry Cable

A senior AFL source, speaking anonymously because the change has not been made public, confirmed that the AFL Commission had approved a change to the Australian Football Hall of Fame rules, which would give the hall of fame committee the power to suspend or revoke the hall of fame membership of a player, coach or official who was convicted of an indictable offence in court, or engaged in conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game.
There would be a process under which the hall of fame member would have an opportunity to respond.
The rule change for the hall of fame would apply to Legend status as well as membership, with the Cable court case highlighting the fact that the AFL had not made any rules to govern misconduct that becomes public after a person is already inducted.

The decision on whether a person’s hall of fame status is suspended or revoked would be made by the AFL Commission, not the hall of fame’s committee, which is chaired by the AFL chairman Richard Goyder.

Cable has been sued by a Perth woman, who alleged in court that Cable abused her as a child during the late 1960s and early 70s. Four other women – another from Perth and three who were based in Melbourne when Cable was at North Melbourne – gave evidence that they also were sexually abused by Cable, who was not represented in the hearing and did not appear.

Police have not charged Cable with any offences. He has strongly denied the allegations.

In the AFL’s official guidelines for the hall of fame, it says the hall of fame committee considers candidates “on the basis of record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character.” The AFL considered character-based criteria for entry into the hall of fame, but had not applied those criteria to existing members who fell foul of the law.

Players, coaches, umpires and administrators are eligible to be admitted into the Hall of Fame a minimum of five years after their retirement.

Related Article​

AFL legend Barry Cable sued over historical child sex abuse claims

The AFL guidelines says the individuals are eligible for Legend status “if they have caused the game to change significantly for the better.”

In mid-February, three new witnesses, all women, alleged that they were abused by Cable in the 1980s in Victoria. This brought to five the number of children Cable is accused of sexually assaulting while he was either playing or coaching.

The woman who took the legal action against Cable told the court Cable began abusing her she was about 12 or 13. The abuse allegedly continued through her teens.

Cable denies these claims.

One of the women gave evidence that Cable tried to have sex with her in a spa in the 1980s when she was about 11.

Last edited:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this.
I thought it was one of those things where you notice something you associate with and miss other background stuff. IE North appears in the background as much as anyone - randomly.

nah.

It happens way more than one in 18 AFL photos.

I used to think it was something dodgy but now I reckon royal blue and white just look good, like a few nice clouds in a beautiful blue sky.

I thought it was one of those things where you notice something you associate with and miss other background stuff. IE North appears in the background as much as anyone - randomly.

nah.

It happens way more than one in 18 AFL photos.

I used to think it was something dodgy but now I reckon royal blue and white just look good, like a few nice clouds in a beautiful blue sky.
I think it's because more than 50% of AFL players look at their best when playing against us.

Callipers also sad Tim Taranto is not inthe top 150 players in the competition. Shows how much a judge he is, just checked Taranto is 4th favourite for the brownlow. Has gone very quite on this
Also had a go at Walsh, Phillips and I think a couple of others. All have made him look like a right tool.

His old man has always been a very opinionated radio personality in SA, but he actually backs it up with reasonable arguments. I don't always agree with him but he's very articulate and thoughtful when presenting his view. Kane is trying to emulate his old man, but he just doesn't have the brains to do it. It's all shoot from the hip and hope I'm right bullshit.

Also had a go at Walsh, Phillips and I think a couple of others. All have made him look like a right tool.

His old man has always been a very opinionated radio personality in SA, but he actually backs it up with reasonable arguments. I don't always agree with him but he's very articulate and thoughtful when presenting his view. Kane is trying to emulate his old man, but he just doesn't have the brains to do it. It's all shoot from the hip and hope I'm right bullshit.

Kane is on record as trying to emulate the US shock jock journo's like Skip Bayliss.

He idolises the US media.

AFL changing Hall of Fame rules as Cable faces court decision​

By Jake Niall

June 16, 2023 — 5.00am

The AFL is changing the rules of the Australian Football Hall of Fame to enable the league to suspend or revoke the membership of those who are convicted of indictable offences or have engaged in serious misconduct that brought the game into disrepute.

The change to the hall of fame rules comes as former North Melbourne and Western Australian football great Barry Cable is about to face a civil court judgement on allegations of child sexual abuse, with the Perth district court handing down a decision on Friday.

The AFL may have to rule on Cable’s status – he was made an official Legend in 2012 and is among the most decorated players in the code – after the next hall of fame induction later this month, if there is a judgment against him in court. The judgment would not be a conviction because it is a civil case.

This masthead has attempted to contact Cable.

The revised rules will not be active until after the June 27 induction dinner.

Related Article​

AFL off-field behaviour

New witnesses detail alleged abuse by AFL legend Barry Cable

A senior AFL source, speaking anonymously because the change has not been made public, confirmed that the AFL Commission had approved a change to the Australian Football Hall of Fame rules, which would give the hall of fame committee the power to suspend or revoke the hall of fame membership of a player, coach or official who was convicted of an indictable offence in court, or engaged in conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game.
There would be a process under which the hall of fame member would have an opportunity to respond.
The rule change for the hall of fame would apply to Legend status as well as membership, with the Cable court case highlighting the fact that the AFL had not made any rules to govern misconduct that becomes public after a person is already inducted.

The decision on whether a person’s hall of fame status is suspended or revoked would be made by the AFL Commission, not the hall of fame’s committee, which is chaired by the AFL chairman Richard Goyder.

Cable has been sued by a Perth woman, who alleged in court that Cable abused her as a child during the late 1960s and early 70s. Four other women – another from Perth and three who were based in Melbourne when Cable was at North Melbourne – gave evidence that they also were sexually abused by Cable, who was not represented in the hearing and did not appear.

Police have not charged Cable with any offences. He has strongly denied the allegations.

In the AFL’s official guidelines for the hall of fame, it says the hall of fame committee considers candidates “on the basis of record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character.” The AFL considered character-based criteria for entry into the hall of fame, but had not applied those criteria to existing members who fell foul of the law.

Players, coaches, umpires and administrators are eligible to be admitted into the Hall of Fame a minimum of five years after their retirement.

Related Article​

AFL legend Barry Cable sued over historical child sex abuse claims

The AFL guidelines says the individuals are eligible for Legend status “if they have caused the game to change significantly for the better.”

In mid-February, three new witnesses, all women, alleged that they were abused by Cable in the 1980s in Victoria. This brought to five the number of children Cable is accused of sexually assaulting while he was either playing or coaching.

The woman who took the legal action against Cable told the court Cable began abusing her she was about 12 or 13. The abuse allegedly continued through her teens.

Cable denies these claims.

One of the women gave evidence that Cable tried to have sex with her in a spa in the 1980s when she was about 11.

Be more than Cable getting reviewed at a guess ?

Even one of the photos without a north guernsey had mason wood in it lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barry Cable judgment: District Court Judge Mark Herron finds WA footy legend sexually abused young girl​

Tim ClarkeThe West Australian
Fri, 16 June 2023 11:40AM
Tim Clarke

Barry Cable — long heralded as one of Western Australia’s greatest ever sportsmen — did sexually abuse a young girl for years, according to a WA judge.

After decades of allegations, denials, suppressions, legal threats — and nearly five years of litigation — a judge today concluded that he believed that Cable persistently sexually abused the girl from the age of 12 into her adulthood.

Last edited:
Sad to see Cable's verdict as he was a childhood hero of mine. Used to watch him train and collect the balls for him in Pascoe Vale growing up. Still the best all round footballer I have ever seen. Rumours were around for years. Not sure of the standing of a civil trial as opposed to facing criminal charges. I suppose he hasn't been convicted - I am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back