Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I don't think I'll be able to run that world cup comp, if anyone else wants to adopt it I'm all for it, but it's just too much with all that's happened in the last few months.

Is anyone up for a world cup competition? I think I could run a 'quick fire' competition with fairly lax rules & requirements if the interest is there. figured I'd ask seeing as though we are like a month out from the tournament getting underway so that people have ample time to get entries together.

Is anyone up for a world cup competition? I think I could run a 'quick fire' competition with fairly lax rules & requirements if the interest is there. figured I'd ask seeing as though we are like a month out from the tournament getting underway so that people have ample time to get entries together.

Yeah go for it I reckon. There isn't a league comp that is currently really open for designs and it's about as topical as it gets. It'd be perfect as a quickfire comp.

A random generator to assign teams would be pretty good. A draft or first come first served would be just as good.

A random generator to assign teams would be pretty good. A draft or first come first served would be just as good.
I think by the time that everyone applies for a spot in the draft, it is just eating into time that people could be designing. I could just have it so that every team is numbered from the start though and as people come in they are randomly assigned a number and if after a week if there is a team left on the board that you are interested in designing for, then they are able to change.

I think the random generator would be good. It tests people’s abilities to design for anything rather than planning months ahead.

I think by the time that everyone applies for a spot in the draft, it is just eating into time that people could be designing. I could just have it so that every team is numbered from the start though and as people come in they are randomly assigned a number and if after a week if there is a team left on the board that you are interested in designing for, then they are able to change.

I think the random generator would be good. It tests people’s abilities to design for anything rather than planning months ahead.

I think you're both exactly right. Cool idea fancyscum

I've had bit more of a think about how this would run and this is what I am proposing, let me know what you think:

The FJGD world cup will take place in June/July, mirroring the FIFA world cup in Russia with 48 hour polls similar to those seen previously in T20a. 32 teams will be designed by users from the FJGD board, with teams being selected via random as a designer posts their intention to participate. Unlike FLO and FIRA, there will be no soccer goal style system in order to keep the competition moving.

In order to make sure that we can run a full 32 team tournament, designers will take two teams each with the possibility of taking on a third if there are still teams left over (it will be likely that this happens unless we somehow manage to get 16 participants, which I doubt will happen for a non footy comp). While 3 teams in under a month may sound like a tough task, designers will only be required to submit a jersey as a minimum (shorts, socks & even goalkeeper kits are all still fine to submit) which means that templates should be quick and easy to source for designers that don't have one already. It is also important to consider that there is no logo designing involved as the teams already exist in real life, which will also streamline the design process.

The only real constraint in terms of design is that you can not copy the existing or any past kit of the nation directly, you can adapt elements (like adidas has done with many teams for the 2018 world cup) but the design needs to really be a work of your own.

I've had bit more of a think about how this would run and this is what I am proposing, let me know what you think:

The FJGD world cup will take place in June/July, mirroring the FIFA world cup in Russia with 48 hour polls similar to those seen previously in T20a. 32 teams will be designed by users from the FJGD board, with teams being selected via random as a designer posts their intention to participate. Unlike FLO and FIRA, there will be no soccer goal style system in order to keep the competition moving.

In order to make sure that we can run a full 32 team tournament, designers will take two teams each with the possibility of taking on a third if there are still teams left over (it will be likely that this happens unless we somehow manage to get 16 participants, which I doubt will happen for a non footy comp). While 3 teams in under a month may sound like a tough task, designers will only be required to submit a jersey as a minimum (shorts, socks & even goalkeeper kits are all still fine to submit) which means that templates should be quick and easy to source for designers that don't have one already. It is also important to consider that there is no logo designing involved as the teams already exist in real life, which will also streamline the design process.

The only real constraint in terms of design is that you can not copy the existing or any past kit of the nation directly, you can adapt elements (like adidas has done with many teams for the 2018 world cup) but the design needs to really be a work of your own.

As scorch said earlier a quickfire competition that runs sooner rather than later is the best option. Especially as the Can-Am is due to run at around the same time (late June/July designs required/start) which could cause designers to struggle to get all their designs done. At this moment in time there are currently no designs required for any competition so it is prime position for a short quickfire (less than a month) competition to run.

As scorch said earlier a quickfire competition that runs sooner rather than later is the best option. Especially as the Can-Am is due to run at around the same time (late June/July designs required/start) which could cause designers to struggle to get all their designs done. At this moment in time there are currently no designs required for any competition so it is prime position for a short quickfire (less than a month) competition to run.
The comp runs June to July, entries would be due in probably the weekend before the real WC starts, There would be no clash with the Late June deadline for Can-Am stuff. Besides, most people would be making good progress with that already I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comp runs June to July, entries would be due in probably the weekend before the real WC starts, There would be no clash with the Late June deadline for Can-Am stuff. Besides, most people would be making good progress with that already I would have thought.

There would still be overlap as if run with the World Cup it would have a mid July finish. Start the comp at the start of June at the latest and have it finish within the month (doesn't need to last very long) then there is no overlap and a free design space within the next two weeks (Shouldn't take people longer than that to design for this).

The only thing that i'd suggest might take more than 2 weeks is organising the straggler teams depending on numbers. I really struggled getting numbers for FLO, so if people have to start doing 2-3 teams it might take them a bit of time to get their entries in.

Get it started and aim to kick the comp off in the first or second week of June IMO. People can start designing now once they've been assigned their first team. That should mean the majority of designing for this is done with a few weeks to run before Can-Am starts.

There would still be overlap as if run with the World Cup it would have a mid July finish. Start the comp at the start of June at the latest and have it finish within the month (doesn't need to last very long) then there is no overlap and a free design space within the next two weeks (Shouldn't take people longer than that to design for this).
There are so many instances of major and minor competitions overlapping in the past, your Can-Am will survive just like all the others have.

The only thing that i'd suggest might take more than 2 weeks is organising the straggler teams depending on numbers. I really struggled getting numbers for FLO, so if people have to start doing 2-3 teams it might take them a bit of time to get their entries in.

Get it started and aim to kick the comp off in the first or second week of June IMO. People can start designing now once they've been assigned their first team. That should mean the majority of designing for this is done with a few weeks to run before Can-Am starts.
I do feel this concern, I think a 16 team competition will probably be the way to go in the end due to time and simply that we don't have 16 designers to do 2 jerseys each, but I wanted to put it out there and see what people thought.

There are so many instances of major and minor competitions overlapping in the past, your Can-Am will survive just like all the others have.

I am more looking at the overlap in design phases and the absolute lack of any right at this time. Potential delays in getting designs in for the WC could cause overlaps that are not needed, where as starting now means that is less likely as more people have time to design as nothing else is due right now.

I am more looking at the overlap in design phases and the absolute lack of any right at this time. Potential delays in getting designs in for the WC could cause overlaps that are not needed, where as starting now means that is less likely as more people have time to design as nothing else is due right now.
Why wouldn't the plan that Scorch posted above work? Have the thread go up this week (pending mod approval) designs in by second week of June then there is another couple of weeks before Can-Am stuff is due.

Why wouldn't the plan that Scorch posted above work? Have the thread go up this week (pending mod approval) designs in by second week of June then there is another couple of weeks before Can-Am stuff is due.

Because that is basically a full month to get the thing up and running, a quick comp should be able to get going with half that time. Thread up this week, designs in by the end of the month. Start beginning of June (end of the first week at the latest).

Because that is basically a full month to get the thing up and running, a quick comp should be able to get going with half that time. Thread up this week, designs in by the end of the month. Start beginning of June (end of the first week at the latest).
It could get going in half the time, but I want to run it during the world cup, so it won't. I've made a very loose brief specifically so that it won't be a hassle for people while they are trying to do Can-Am stuff as well, it is essentially six weeks to do 3 jumpers and a logo for Can-Am and an additional jersey or two for this with a pre established brand inside four, people will get it done, especially considering people have known that Can-Am is coming up for a while now.

can I bribe you so I end up with portugal? <3

upload_2018-5-18_22-51-13.png

AUSTRALIAN NETBALL LEAGUE
Well Netball Season is underway and what better time to start the Australian Netball League? My plan is for the Australian Netball League to kick off sooner rather than later.​
  • The Inaugural season would be quick fire league to test out the interest and success of the league. If the ANL is successful then expanding in future seasons can become an option.​
  • For Season 1, I would hope that at least 8 teams enter and we could do 2 pools. A certain number (depending on amount of teams entering) would progress to the Finals Series.​
  • Each team will play each other in their pool once.​
  • To keep to the high intensity and pace of the modern Netball game, voting polls would be open for 24 hours (possibly 48 hours).​
  • Only 1 dress/kit would be required to be designed for the inaugural season along with a team logo.​
Any more ideas or questions are welcome.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back