• No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The opportunity is if the club is able to negotiate the hub games well and come out of them in a strong position then it is all but guaranteed of a top two position, which on past history equates to a Grand Final appearance.
If this comes to pass it will add another dilemma, how do we get finals played in Perth if teams still have to quarantine?

If this comes to pass it will add another dilemma, how do we get finals played in Perth if teams still have to quarantine?

Quarantine restrictions for clubs will likely be gone by August, let alone October should the current low rates of infection continue.

If Palmer fails with his High Court challenge in July it will be tested again in August no doubt - if there is no evidence of a second wave of infection by then there would be little reason for a ruling to be found against it.

I think by the time October comes along the questions will be more in consideration of what numbers of crowd may be allowed to attend these matches rather than what venues will be able to host due to quarantine.

Interesting article that says west coast is fighting against staying in the hub beyond 4 weeks. SA and WA governments will probably consider travel exemptions for states where COVID19 is under control but not Victoria as they have too many new infections. This could mean that NSW travels to us or we meet VIC clubs at neutral venues where both teams travel.

Some key excerpts:

While discussions are in preliminary stages, it is believed the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockerswill not be required to extend their stay on the Gold Coast beyond next month's round five fixtures.

Senior AFL officials are understood to believe it it only fair Victorian clubs share the travel burden during the COVID-interrupted season, prompting the renewed focus on a western hub.

Basically the idea is to have Burswood/Crown/Optus be a quarantine zone in and of itself, that is no community contact, so there would be no need for a quarantine period as the AFL players would fly in, live exclusively at Crown without coming into contact with the WA public, play their games, head home.

I'll believe it when I see it, but a promising headline at the very least.

Last edited:

Some key excerpts:

Basically the idea is to have Burswood/Crown/Optus be a quarantine zone in and of itself, that is no community contact, so there would be no need for a quarantine period as the AFL players would fly in, live exclusively at Crown without coming into contact with the WA public, play their games, head home.

Why do we need a hub if they can fly in and play in this style with no quarantine?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why do we need a hub if they can fly in and play in this style with no quarantine?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Because they’re quarantined from the general public under this model.

If they were to come to WA, stay in hotels, go out for a team meal, maybe do recovery at the beach, and generally mingle where WA punters could be, they’d need a two week quarantine period.

With this, the entire area would be closed to the public, so it’d just be the travelling AFL players in a Burswood hub. They don’t need to quarantine for two weeks before joining the general populace because they never join the general populace.

It’s the exact same as what we’re doing on the GC - staying isolated in one location away from the public. They’re just exploring the option of doing it here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some key excerpts:

Interesting premise - would West Coast and Fremantle players be permitted to self-isolate at home and train at Lathlain and Cockburn respectively whilst still playing against "quarantined" opponents? If so it questions the purpose of the quarantine being held at all.

Where also does that leave the two SA clubs - could a similar setup be instigated there as well? If Adelaide Oval can't be used due to its location in the CBD surely Football Park with its proximity to the airport would be an option?

How long would such a 'hub' last? The WA and SA clubs will spend 4 weeks in Qld if the northern hub ends after Round 5. At some point they will each need to travel again after that to fulfill their 'Away' games requirement in the season.

Could it be these hubs would see the respective WA and SA teams playing the next 8 weeks in their home states after Round 5, with teams from VIC and NSW doing 2 week "quarantine" visits, playing back-to-back matches against the teams from that state.

The final 4 weeks of the season would thus see the WA and SA teams in a Victorian hub and also allow a neutral venue for the West Coast vs Adelaide match.

That would provide the competition with certainty for the fixture under the current constraints, with the hope that border restrictions have eased by late September when the announcement for finals scheduling will take place.

Well the Gold Coast for one is a good idea given the Dimensions of the stadium are

161 x 134 metres V Optus 165m V 130

Therefore similar style ground suits our playing style we dont travel for 4 weeks lets make the most of it

Game vs the Tigers suddenly got a bit more hostile if their fan base travels up from Vic.

Not sure anyone from WA would bother.

Just wait and see if the AFL ban the move because crowds allowed at one ground isn't fair to other teams who aren't allowed home crowds.

Right Gil? Or because money is involved, fairness goes back out the window?

Game vs the Tigers suddenly got a bit more hostile if their fan base travels up from Vic.

Not sure anyone from WA would bother.

Just wait and see if the AFL ban the move because crowds allowed at one ground isn't fair to other teams who aren't allowed home crowds.

Right Gil? Or because money is involved, fairness goes back out the window?

Will fans from another state be aloup up though? I though they had strict boarder rules but were allowing exemptions for AFL players.

Don't think the QLD border would be far off opening, they aren't as staunch as McGowan, plus they've been copping it hard.

I reckon in 4 weeks time when we play Richmond, for sure the Vic fans would be allowed up. AFL would probably encourage it.

Only thing stopping it would be a sudden outbreak due to the protests IMO.

Don't think the QLD border would be far off opening, they aren't as staunch as McGowan, plus they've been copping it hard.

I reckon in 4 weeks time when we play Richmond, for sure the Vic fans would be allowed up. AFL would probably encourage it.

Only thing stopping it would be a sudden outbreak due to the protests IMO.
Are they all going to drive up from Victoria? Because there will be bugger all flights still, and none of them cheap.

Are they all going to drive up from Victoria? Because there will be bugger all flights still, and none of them cheap.

That and the border is still closed.

Surely we have a couple of hundred fans in QLD we can give tickets to.

We should really be doing membership drives while on the Gold Coast with the option of signing up as a $50 membership with a ticket to the Tigers game on signup. Their Auskick numbers really are increasing rapidly.

Last edited:
Back