Welcome CONFIRMED - Nathan Kreuger to join Geelong (pick 42 to Carlton)

Remove this Banner Ad

Worked with him very closely at South Adelaide. You guys have an excellent player. Might be a two year project, but his flexibility is first class. In his under 18 year, he struggled a little as he was used all around the ground and it didn't give him the capacity to settle. He started the year as a key back, was then moved to a loose defender, played a couple of weeks as an inside midfielder (and was very, very good there for a player of his size), before getting moved into the forward line for the national championships. Didn't finish the year well at Souths and reportedly didn't interview well either. He's a very shy kid, who would have been very nervous in the Draft Combine situation, so by the end of the season, I wasn't surprised he was overlooked. But, he came back this year, started in the reserves, worked his way into the seniors and was excellent at Souths. Became a super fit, and at times dominant, centre half forward.

His flexibility and work ethic is his key strengths and his fitness allows him to get a lot of ball on the lead and on the wing. Will need to put on weight to be more effective in the AFL, but I expect that by mid 2020, he could be a very good inclusion. Patience will be important, and he is a very reserved guy.

For pick 42, he's awesome value. Great get.
Appreciate the rundown on Nathan, thanks for sharing those insights with us all

Makes our vfl team stronger which is good
I suspect he will see VFL time yes.:rolleyes:

Knowing your backhanded ways I see the real intent however. What makes you so sure he'll only be the VFL player you infer? What is limiting his game to VFL standard? Is it size, power, strength ... or perhaps he's .2 of a second slow in his 10m spints? Has he hit his ceiling?

Looks like a real talent that has found deficiencies in his game and gone off and worked on them since 2017. The talent level he was against was clearly not AFL standard so we will see how he goes steeping up a grade.

Looked good on the ball, good tackling and defensive intent. Nice left foot kick from what I saw and not afraid to back himself in in a contest. Will need the slow cook to get more solid and will benefit from full time AFL culture. Seems highly mobile for a taller guy and good below his knees getting ground balls. And speaking of ground, say him on it in the highlights. Sure, highlights are just that.. but still has to do the work in the first place.

And to that doing work - good to see Wells and co using the new portions of the system and getting on the front foot to take "his guy".

GO Catters

He's grown a further centimeter and added a kilo just by visiting KP.

The deal came just a day after Kreuger — an athletic beast at 197cm and 89kg — was flown to Geelong to tour its facilities.
The old Collingwood six footer

Are you expecting him to play next year?

What have I said that you disagree with?
Depends on a lot of things but i would expect him to make his debut next year.

It’s just the sly backhanders you use to crap on everything the club does. Nothing will ever be good enough for you. Pretty pathetic really. Give the kid a good go and then comment.

I suspect he will see VFL time yes.:rolleyes:

Knowing your backhanded ways I see the real intent however. What makes you so sure he'll only be the VFL player you infer? What is limiting his game to VFL standard? Is it size, power, strength ... or perhaps he's .2 of a second slow in his 10m spints? Has he hit his ceiling?

Looks like a real talent that has found deficiencies in his game and gone off and worked on them since 2017. The talent level he was against was clearly not AFL standard so we will see how he goes steeping up a grade.

Looked good on the ball, good tackling and defensive intent. Nice left foot kick from what I saw and not afraid to back himself in in a contest. Will need the slow cook to get more solid and will benefit from full time AFL culture. Seems highly mobile for a taller guy and good below his knees getting ground balls. And speaking of ground, say him on it in the highlights. Sure, highlights are just that.. but still has to do the work in the first place.

And to that doing work - good to see Wells and co using the new portions of the system and getting on the front foot to take "his guy".

GO Catters
Physically he is good.

He is a quiet shy type of guy. Not sure how he will handle life as an afl footballer.

I see him as a later pick or rookie pick to be honest.

Depends on a lot of things but i would expect him to make his debut next year.

It’s just the sly backhanders you use to crap on everything the club does. Nothing will ever be good enough for you. Pretty pathetic really. Give the kid a good go and then comment.

I used to get upset by certain posters until I discovered the Ignore button. Life on BigFooty is so much better as a result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait until he says he has a brother named Frederick. Ah. .Our secret weapon...In their dreams.

Let's hope he doesn't want to go back home in a year.

Come on Biggy. We've had a great deal of success with inter-state players over the years. Don't let Kelly's decision and potential defection make you think every inter-state recruit will go running back home after a year or two. It clearly hasn't and won't stop the club recruiting players from other states, and nor should it.

Bit odd that Carl are negotiating with Adel for McGoven. Clearly Adel had zero interest in him.

You can say the same thing with Port who have two picks almost identical to our. What do they know or have seen.

I'm sure both SA clubs have overlooked many good players over the years. I don't think the fact they aren't interested in Kreuger means he is no good. Kelly was overlooked by both WA clubs for the last 5-years, and look what he did.

Last edited:
Come on Biggy. We've had a great deal of success with inter-state players over the years. Don't let Kelly's decision and potential defection make you think every inter-state recruit will go running back home after a year or two. It clearly hasn't and won't stop the club recruiting players from other states, and nor should it.

If we refused to draft interstate players Joel Corey, Cory Enright and Andrew Mackie wouldn't be three time GFC premiership players.

Physically he is good.

He is a quiet shy type of guy. Not sure how he will handle life as an afl footballer.

I see him as a later pick or rookie pick to be honest.

You have met him and correlating that to onfield performance of just pulling that out the the article you read? So being a quiet shy type can't play footy now? Interesting analysis? What's that based on exactly? Id say HT is a quiet guy. Seems he can play. Blitz not really the centre of attention. Just pulled a BnF.

Travis Varcoe - hardly centre of attention Sally but he seems to go ok. And dare I say GAJ? Bigger than Dusty and PFD this one... oh wait....:drunk:

Go Catters

Probably why we're blessed with an abundance of young guns right?
Id say do. Good to see your finally supporting something related to the club.

GO Catters

You have met him and correlating that to onfield performance of just pulling that out the the article you read? So being a quiet shy type can't play footy now? Interesting analysis? What's that based on exactly? Id say HT is a quiet guy. Seems he can play. Blitz not really the centre of attention. Just pulled a BnF.

Travis Varcoe - hardly centre of attention Sally but he seems to go ok. And dare I say GAJ? Bigger than Dusty and PFD this one... oh wait....:drunk:

Go Catters
Yeah you are right. Was overlooked by all clubs last year for no reason :rolleyes:

Yeah you are right. Was overlooked by all clubs last year for no reason :rolleyes:
Shy footballer cant play game. Surely you have better reasoning than that lol.

Spare me.

And I even stated earlier he had faults that saw him not get selected in 2017 - went off and worked on them to come back in 2018 and he got the season he just delivered. So clearly improved.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back