Roast Conservative, Stubborn or an Idiot? Or all the above?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably just in the "now".
Can't say I like it that much. Would definitely had a look at Sturt. Quicker (we looked very slow last week). Great kick from distance and can play wing.

I hate to say this but you know who we are really missing, Acres. He played a very good good offensive and defensive role. Wings if they are good are like allrounders in cricket. Australia as a test team look a lot better with Cam Green in the side. Acres made us more attacking and really helped our defence. He may have been asking for too much money and I understand why we let him go but he was very good for Carlton last night. Considerable loss. Our wings at the moment are not great. We need them to be optimal to be a premiership threat.
Sadly, Acres was statistically second best on ground last night after Cameron.

What do you mean?

Plans and execution are different things.

Controlled movement in the back half, aiming to set up a chance at more flowing movement from more attacking launch zones once the opportunity arises. Theoretically is the plan.
It makes more intuitive sense to me that quick transition starts when you have the ball, not once you get it into a space, if that’s what JL means. Like how do you get into the zone in the first place if the zone is chockers?

The thing that irks me is at the press conference when asked what went wrong, one of the things he said was it was the last game of the round? What sort of excuse is that, I mean cmon, aren’t these guys professional?? It was the last game of the round for St Kilda too.

Last edited:
this directed solely at J-Lo?!

I think you could argue this about the club as a whole: too safe, too risk-averse, too comfortable meandering in the no-man's-land of irrelevance in the VFL-centric world of the Big Boys. We don't do ourselves any favours, with disjointed trades, lack of ambition especially in finding forwards since Pav retired (but s'okay, cos we got a wicked rock-solid defense, we'll just outscore ya by defending you to an even lower total!) and players coming in as hailed messiahs and then going out a few years later....plodders, try-hards and "good blokes" getting the blue collar nod for their work ethic etc on game days. I haven't got time to write a more in-depth analysis on it as being with painting and decorating one's new home...I'm just sneaking this in whilst we break to feed our doggies.........but everything about Banfield in and Treacy out screams the stultifying manner which Freo as an organisation seems to operate, without ruthless ambition; toothless; predictable, without progress....boring.

J-Lo represents everything the club is in so many ways, personifies it. And yet, it still is only 1 game and 1 result, but it already feels like another ordinary, meandering; pointless season awaits.

I'm not much good at reading the tea leaves. I hope I'm wrong, but with this current coach, I don't see a lot differing from what happened with the last coach. He is a younger version minus the charisma, cheek and flair - not that these things automatically win you Premierships. I mean, look at Simpson - dour as it comes.

But, I just ain't feeling it. You have an opportunity to build for a sustained successful future as Garlick keeps baulking at the season launches yet you won't play Amiss...Sturt, Johnson etc. Players who clearly represent the future and will only improve in the now if they're given their chances....but alas, is what it is. If success isn't linear and we moight stumble "this year", then why not play them and get them the experience needed, starting now...so we do have sustained success by a certain timeframe. You told us we'd be winning before or in 2025. Is that a rouse? If we don't make finals this year.....does it set us back? Because....nothing is set in stone and good players not getting their chance will want to seek it elsewhere, we already see that with West Aussies leaving for better pay-days last off-season...

If it doesn't change now, when will it?! I think that's why people are so disgruntled.....you can't keep selling us the 'future' as though it's coming, around the corner...and yet when we get there, it's the same as before, when we see none of it happening in the now. Sports fans are fickle beings at the best of times, but their patience runs thin out pretty quick. A win might curb that for now, but you better hope you change things because when those Big Boys come, we'll see exactly what we are, if we're not what we are now.......

In the pre game interview last week JL was asked how he felt. The interviewer had barely finished the question before JL spat out the word “NERVOUS“.
Exactly how we played.
Compare that attitude to Rossy, Hardwick, McRae etc in their pre game interviews and how their teams played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure. If you would like to provide evidence that he isn't I'm all ears.

2022. He played well for Freo and was best 22. A couple of games he was very good. He was quality against Geelong away and was very good against Collingwood in the finals even when injured.

Name one Freo winger currently playing better than him? There isn't

2022. He played well for Freo and was best 22. A couple of games he was very good. He was quality against Geelong away and was very good against Collingwood in the finals even when injured.

I'm not comparing him to any Freo winger. He has proven over his whole career he is a spud and not a winning player.

I was at that Collingwood game and for every good thing he did he did a horrible thing. He is a true coach killer and will suck you in with a few good games in a row before returning to his standard spud levels. Why we brought him in was always a head scratcher, we should have been developing an actual winger who would be here for a premiership push.

The OBYB podcast was a great example of his mindset. He will likely end up injured for a large chunk of this season and Carlton will not skip a beat.

I'm not comparing him to any Freo winger. He has proven over his whole career he is a spud and not a winning player.

I was at that Collingwood game and for every good thing he did he did a horrible thing. He is a true coach killer and will suck you in with a few good games in a row before returning to his standard spud levels. Why we brought him in was always a head scratcher, we should have been developing an actual winger who would be here for a premiership push.

The OBYB podcast was a great example of his mindset. He will likely end up injured for a large chunk of this season and Carlton will not skip a beat.

So you're not comparing him to players on our list who he is clearly performing better than yet he's a spud

So you're not comparing him to players on our list who he is clearly performing better than yet he's a spud

My opinion of him is from watching him for many years and I was against us recruiting him in as part of the Hill trade. Not sure how having other players on the list who may or may not be better has anything to do with him being a spud?

If he is the 700th worst player on an AFL list and we have 40 players worse than him on our list, it doesn't make him good. He's still a spud.

I'd have Aish, Clark or O'Driscoll on a wing before Acres, Henry or Hughes.

Calling JL stupid is downright callous.

His first two years were COVID riddled, Hub life probably didn't give an accurate account of where we were at with what he inherited.

Last year was nothing short of amazing, turning one of the most inexperienced sides into a thrilling, high performing outfit. Winning in Geelong? Breaking the Demons winning streak at the MCG? So many incredible highlights.

Had we retained Lobb, Logue, Acres and even Mundy I'd say we are closer along to a flag. But we lost them, and we are left with a plethora of exciting but inexperienced young players, and a few stalwarts in place providing a pillar for growth. The Banfield selection perhaps is understandable had we kept all those players - but we didn't.

I personally have to get comfortable with the idea our premiership window may only truly open when the likes of Fyfe and Walters retire (2025-2027) but once I do it's easy to see how important it is to blood the potential now - that's Amiss and Sturt (first rounders), Treacy, Erasmus, Johnson and O'Driscoll, perhaps a few other new recruits too.

Brayshaw and Serong were played endlessly in their first few years and we now see what they are becoming, hell even Taberner got extended runs and was the laughing stock of the AFL - in two years Amiss, Treacy and Sturt could be the triple-threat forward line giving opposition backlines nightmares.

Selecting Banfield is utterly wrong and we all know it - and it's a poor way to start a season that's already had fans disgruntled. Let's hope something gives in the near future.

I'm going with stubborn. that Fyfe wasn't thrown into some centre bounces to get him into the game and hopefully give us some drive was just odd.

I'd pick O'Driscoll above him. Already showing an ability to hit the scoreboard and with plenty of upside.

My opinion of him is from watching him for many years and I was against us recruiting him in as part of the Hill trade. Not sure how having other players on the list who may or may not be better has anything to do with him being a spud?

If he is the 700th worst player on an AFL list and we have 40 players worse than him on our list, it doesn't make him good. He's still a spud.

I'd have Aish, Clark or O'Driscoll on a wing before Acres, Henry or Hughes.

Yet we have Henry and Hughes on the wing

He played well last season for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back