List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sharp will add something there, he's never had a problem finding the ball.
It was his defensive efforts that saw him fall out of favour at Gold Coast.

Interesting part will be that's why Will Brodie couldn't get a game with them anymore either so will they tolerate Sharp doing the same?

We aren’t getting 4,10,20 for pick 1 especially if the top handful are hard to separate
Are you suggesting it's too early for unrealistic trades completely in our favour?

posts brian GIF

Are you suggesting it's too early for unrealistic trades completely in our favour?

posts brian GIF
Picks 4,10,20 wouldn’t have got pick 1 last year by trade week! Plenty of water to go under the bridge before we’re saying it’s unrealistic and in our favour! FWIW I reckon freo would take the deal to get McDonald, don’t think the Suns would though.

What did the Dogs give up for Sanders??

It seems to be really pricey to trade in to the top 6 let alone pick 1

1708494909646.png

10, 17 and a future 1st for pick 4 and some late third rounders

Picks 4,10,20 wouldn’t have got pick 1 last year by trade week! Plenty of water to go under the bridge before we’re saying it’s unrealistic and in our favour! FWIW I reckon freo would take the deal to get McDonald, don’t think the Suns would though.

I don't reckon Freo do it purely on the optics and PR fallout if they lose the trade. Trade week is their Grand Final if Feathers is anything to go by. Supporters would riot at the gates if they lost a trade to big brother, even if the full picture doesn't become apparent for a couple of seasons. They might win it but they can't afford to lose it.

How do you see our list coming along? What type of player would you target in the next trade/draft period?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
To early to tell from an outsiders perspective (I haven’t visited your preseason thread), so I can only judge from AFL matches.

I still believe you’re 5 or 6 seasons away from pushing towards finals if you keep building primarily through the draft.

And from an outsiders perspective, you still have the same list deficiencies, no top tier talent in the 24 to 28 age bracket, apart from Allen, especially through the midfield.

As for list needs through the draft, I believe a big target key forward is your number one list need. After that, outside speed and ball use in each third of the ground.

Obviously trading in some mature, top end talent can speed up your list rebuild.

To early to tell from an outsiders perspective (I haven’t visited your preseason thread), so I can only judge from AFL matches.

I still believe you’re 5 or 6 seasons away from pushing towards finals if you keep building primarily through the draft.

And from an outsiders perspective, you still have the same list deficiencies, no top tier talent in the 24 to 28 age bracket, apart from Allen, especially through the midfield.

As for list needs through the draft, I believe a big target key forward is your number one list need. After that, outside speed and ball use in each third of the ground.

Obviously trading in some mature, top end talent can speed up your list rebuild.
Still 5 or 6 years away from finals? Yikes.

Hoping for half that personally, and I think we are very capable of that.

We do have a good track record of relatively quick rebuilds, plus we have a decent nucleus to contend with from the last 3 draft and trade periods already.

Last edited:

“Pushing towards”… Does this imply that you think we’re 5-6 seasons away from finishing 9th-12th?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5-6 years from top 4 perhaps. Not finals.
Unless you are trading in 5 or 6 top quality players in the next 3 offseasons, I don’t believe you’re a chance at top 4.

Put a line through every player who is 29 or older this season, on your list.

Most of the kids from your last 3 drafts have shown glimpses at best. None of them have shown any consistency yet, but that’s to be expected, they’re still young. So we don’t really know how they’re going to stack up yet.

I see very little difference between where you’re list is at now, and where Gold Coasts or Norths lists were at in 2018.

You currently are very, very light on for talent in the 22 to 28 year old age bracket, that you’ll be asking the kids to carry the team when the likes of Yeo, Kelly, Sheed, McGovern and Darling have retired, or have slowed down and are no longer the player they were in their hey day.

Still 5 or 6 years away from finals? Yikes.

Hoping for half that personally, and I think we are very capable of that.

We do have a good track record of relatively quick rebuilds, plus we have a decent nucleus to contend with from the last 3 draft and trade periods already.

Your current team doesn’t have the depth of players that got you through your previous rebuilds. One of your own posters detailed this very well last year.

Unless you are trading in 5 or 6 top quality players in the next 3 offseasons, I don’t believe you’re a chance at top 4.

Most of the kids from your last 3 drafts have shown glimpses at best. None of them have shown any consistency yet, but that’s to be expected, they’re still young. So we don’t really know how they’re going to stack up yet.

I see very little difference between where you’re list is at now, and where Gold Coasts or Norths lists were at in 2018.

You currently are very, very light on for talent in the 22 to 28 year old age bracket, that you’ll be asking the kids to carry the team when the likes of Yeo, Kelly, Sheed, McGovern and Darling have retired, or have slowed down and are no longer the player they were in their hey day.

In 5-6 years time, the core of our list are 23-26 and have played between 50-100 games each. It's still a young list but they're on their way. Top 4 is certainly achievable in that time frame. Arguably, only Duggan and Allen are still around, which is a concern, but that leaves 21 players aged 26 and younger, on an upward trajectory without our midfield having played nearly 100 games of footy together. Defense is a concern but we're likely picking up those players over the next 2-3 years via the draft and free agency.

Also, there’s a heap of teams ahead of you in their rebuilds or topping up, with eyes on the top 4.
And there will be teams coming down the other side as well

In 5-6 years time, the core of our list are 23-26 and have played between 50-100 games each. It's still a young list but they're on their way. Top 4 is certainly achievable in that time frame. Arguably, only Duggan and Allen are still around, which is a concern, but that leaves 21 players aged 26 and younger, on an upward trajectory without our midfield having played nearly 100 games of footy together. Defense is a concern but we're likely picking up those players over the next 2-3 years via the draft and free agency.
In terms of age and games profile, that’s where Gold Coast are in 2 years time.

They have arguably more young top end talent from the 2017 to 2019 drafts, than what you have from your last 3 drafts, plus all the kids from the last 2 drafts.

But without enough quality senior players around those kids, Gold Coast still struggle.

Your current team doesn’t have the depth of players that got you through your previous rebuilds. One of your own posters detailed this very well last year.

Im sure over the next 5 trade and free agency periods several targets will be aquired using the massive salary cap space being opened up.

Not to mention all the other players over 27 now in every team is likely finished and done.

We picked up Flynn and Brockman for very little. Previous year Hunt.

So these statements with " if the Eagles only go the draft route it will take 5 or 6 years" is meaningless. They already shown they use other means and they have massive cap space to chase and land several players that can accellerate the rebuild.

Just like the Crows attracted Dawson and Rankin to accellerate theirs.

Busslinger in 2024, C Warner in 2025 then Curtin in 2026 are the targets Id have on the board. Go the draft in 2024 again with our top pick. And Dev Robertson cheap in 2025 as well of course.;)

Last edited:
And there will be teams coming down the other side as well
Geelong and Richmond to drop hard.

I’d love to say Collingwood will be another. Melbourne will probably implode, and St Kilda will revert to type.

Other than those 5, every other club is either ahead of you in their rebuild, or has the ability to reload (cough Northern Academies cough) current top 8 squads.

Im sure over the next 5 trade and free agency periods several targets will be aquired using the massive salary cap space being openned up.

Not to mention all the other players over 27 now in every team is likely finished and done.

We picked yp Flynn and Brockman for very little. Previous year Hunt.

So these statements with " if the Eagles only go the draft route it will take 5 or 6 years" is meaningless. They already shown they use other means and they have massive cap space to chase and land several players that can accelerate the rebuild.

Just like the Crows attracted Dawson and Rankin to accellerate theirs.

Busslinger in 2024, C Warner in 2025 then Curtin in 2026 are the targets Id have on the board. Go the draft in 2024 again with our tip pick. And Dev Robertson cheap in 2025 as well of course.;)
Flynn and Brockman aren’t “move the needle” type trade ins I had in mind as top quality players.

I was thinking of in their prime free agents, where you’re only giving up salary cap space, not draft picks, to bring players in.

Geelong and Richmond to drop hard.

I’d love to say Collingwood will be another. Melbourne will probably implode, and St Kilda will revert to type.

Other than those 5, every other club is either ahead of you in their rebuild, or has the ability to reload (cough Northern Academies cough) current top 8 squads.
I think you're significantly underrating us. In 5-6 years time we're not a premiership contender. But we're playing finals and fighting for top 4 fairly comfortably. If you look at most teams in the 3-6 range each season they are generally very good sides with a serious chink in their armour. That'll be us.

This type and style of narrow opinion based post on other boards gets you verbally abused and banned pretty quickly.

I think you are totally forgetting the great equalizer being the salary cap and that teams also drop down the ladder and then they need to rebuild. They dont stay up forever. All the older stars you list at the Eagles who will be retired every other club also have stars retire or move elsewhere.

You also dont rate or factor in other teams youth and the diamonds in the rough that often pop up.

So once again. We got it. Your ultra negative outlook ignoring trades and FA moves is your narrow opinion. Like arseholes everyone has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back