List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true but I would argue (as you note re Kelly/Yeo) that the quality of mids we have now to rotate through a forward flank is a lot better than when we were trying to turn average mids into forwards.

Kinda, but not really.

Marsden is gone, sure :whitecheck: But we stupidly attempted to play Hutchings down there in the semi final in our last game. :crossmark:

Redden is still around and hasn't played the role successfully before :crossmark: Same goes for Sheed :crossmark:

I spose it's those 3 (Redden, Sheed, Hutchings) which i have my concerns about. I'm not sold on Shuey either, but he's a talented player and it might work.

I don't think I've seen Shuey take an overhead mark in my life but he's very dynamic and strong, and I think he could kick bags playing forward late in his career.
Well given he’s better than Pendlebury and Ablett and practically the next Leigh Matthews - can’t see why not

So you think Shuey and Yeo are on the same level as Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Ablett, Fyfe, etc?

Re: your last paragraph, Shuey has played a couple of absolute ripper finals but played many more finals before them with little impact. Yeo has been kept quiet in most finals he’s played IIRC

also, Fyfe, Dangerfield (at adelaide) and Ablett (at GC) still had to travel just as much as our players

I think Yeo and Shuey are better kicks than all of them, excluding Pendles who is probably about on-par (Ablett is a good kick as well, but lacks the kicking penetration).

So really, the question without an answer is - would you prefer 30 disposals from dangerfield or 23/24 from Shuey or Yeo.

Yeo's ability to balance his attack with defence is absolutely elite also, which I think is underrated.

Kinda, but not really.

Marsden is gone, sure :whitecheck: But we stupidly attempted to play Hutchings down there in the semi final in our last game. :crossmark:

Redden is still around and hasn't played the role successfully before :crossmark: Same goes for Sheed :crossmark:

I spose it's those 3 (Redden, Sheed, Hutchings) which i have my concerns about. I'm not sold on Shuey either, but he's a talented player and it might work.
I agree with you. To me, the mids that would be most damaging forward are obviously Kelly and Yeo (maybe Shuey but not sure on that). We sometimes see Yeo go forward but not much. Kelly is new to the list. We now bat deeper in quality mids, so we could rotate one forward for spells and not diminish the midfield and Kelly and Yeo would likely perform well. But at whose expense as a forward is more my point? I would not like to see Cameron missing out on games for example because we are deciding to play an extra mid (which is your point) and rotating them forward, even if they perform well there. I am definitely not keen on seeing Redden, Hutchings or Sheed being rotated forward.

Last edited:
That is a very slippery slope my friend :rotatinglight:

We have history of falling into the trap of playing too many midfielders and hiding them on the forward flank. Simmo has acknowledged this several times.

One of our big changes in 2018 was that we brought in actual forwards (Rioli, Ryan) to play off the flank and not hide a gimp like Sheed/Marsden down there.

This is why, when i read about how Sheed is going to be spending more time forward after coming off a career best season playing more in the guts i cringe.

I like the idea of our mids pushing forward from the wings sure, but playing off the HFF simply hasn't worked for us in the past.

Kelly/Yeo MIGHT be an exception :think:

I get where you are coming from but in the past we played Masten and a developing Sheed on the HFF and yes that wasn't great.

But even you hesitated when considering Kelly and Yeo as they are class acts. So is Study and Sheed playing the high half forward role is also two class players. After THAT goal from the boundary line I have great faith in him playing forward.

They can't all play in the guts at the same time and you don't sit players of that calibre on the bench or in the WAFL just to play a weaker forward. As Shuey gets older he will play similar roles to Ablett and Boak, half forward.

Last edited:
How do you think a bloke as slow as him can lead into space and get separation enough to take all these marks? Might as well chuck Priddis off the HFF :shrug:

All our forwards, Cripps, Ryan, Rioli, Petch and even Venables are all fast and can get separation on their opponent, i think Sheed would struggle.

He's not alone, i also believe Hutchings, Marsden and Redden have all struggled at times attempting to play the same role.

His inability to play off the HFF led him to being dropped for a chunk of our flag campaign and it was only his performance in the guts which got him a premiership.

Add in Sheeds lackluster pressure and tackling game and it looks even less and less appealing to me.

He knows how to find the goals though, but i think that's due to losing his man around stoppages and being offensive.

His last 18 months playing in the guts have been absolutely outstanding. Why would we change it?

Sheed isn't a leading forward with a lock down defender manning him though. That job is for the designated full time forwards.

Sheed runs hard and gets behind the defense to take a mark, aka THAT premiership goal.

Sheed is also the 'bail out' short pass inside 50 sneaking into space in the pocket when all the preferred leading forwards are well covered. He isn't a 'go to'' leading forward. He's a sneaky mid you kick short to because the defenders have covered all the dangerous forwards.

^

One absolutely SNAG from the pocket doesn't suddenly make Sheed a forward bruv.

Hutchings is the midfielder who should be making way from this side. I've been consistent with that for a while.

With the hopeful addition of Brander that might end up also being another suitable wing/forward rotation

Redden steps into that role, when needed. Kelly takes Marsdens 'position' in the side.

I don't think we really need to change anything save Hutchings position. Sheeds role remains what he's been doing the past 18 months.

To sum up

Hutchings - WAFL
Redden - Mid into more of an emphasis on shutdowns when needed.
Sheed -Stays the same WING/MID
Gaff - Moves into a more outside wing role (replaces Marsden)
Shuey - Stays the same
Kelly - MID/FWD
Yeo - MID/FWD
(Brander - Wing/FWD :rainbow: )

I don't think Kelly coming in changes anything major for our mids. It's the Brander for Hutchings move which needs to be made.

Last year Sheed improved his disposal count but added goal kicking to his arsenal so i do hope he is going to spend a majority of his time in the guts. If i recall early in the year he was playing HHF and yes was kicking goals but we missed his ball winning ability and he was then moved into the guts around round 5-6 and we looked a better team.

I dont see him being pushed out but i do see us rotating our mids more through the forward line with the likes of Shuey, Kelly and Sheed able to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think Shuey and Yeo are on the same level as Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Ablett, Fyfe, etc?

Re: your last paragraph, Shuey has played a couple of absolute ripper finals but played many more finals before them with little impact. Yeo has been kept quiet in most finals he’s played IIRC

also, Fyfe, Dangerfield (at adelaide) and Ablett (at GC) still had to travel just as much as our players
Should be an interesting year.
Shuey and Yeo copped some heavy tags over the last couple of seasons and could be the reason for some inconsistency depending which one it was. The inclusion of Kelly and a fit Naitanui brings a different dynamic to the table.
Two of the three will almost certainly get off the chain and we might just see a big change in numbers.

Still, the vast majority of the players you've listed are based in Victoria. Dangerfield as arguable as well, given his absolute best has come at Geelong. Travel does play a factor.

Fyfe and Ablett are the exceptions, really. The former is basically Freo's entire midfield and the latter is an absolute all time great. However, let's not forget that Fyfe is basically a poor man's Yeo.

Also, I don't think it's fair to count Shuey's earlier finals against him when it comes to assessing his September record. Giving Port a heart attack and that Norm Smith more than make up for it.

Last edited:
^

One absolutely SNAG from the pocket doesn't suddenly make Sheed a forward bruv.

Hutchings is the midfielder who should be making way from this side. I've been consistent with that for a while.

With the hopeful addition of Brander that might end up also being another suitable wing/forward rotation

Redden steps into that role, when needed. Kelly takes Marsdens 'position' in the side.

I don't think we really need to change anything save Hutchings position. Sheeds role remains what he's been doing the past 18 months.

To sum up

Hutchings - WAFL
Redden - Mid into more of an emphasis on shutdowns when needed.
Sheed -Stays the same WING/MID
Gaff - Moves into a more outside wing role (replaces Marsden)
Shuey - Stays the same
Kelly - MID/FWD
Yeo - MID/FWD
(Brander - Wing/FWD :rainbow: )

I don't think Kelly coming in changes anything major for our mids. It's the Brander for Hutchings move which needs to be made.

We will see but the indications are Sheed is training more forward and in a recent interview stated he wants to improve his forward craft and be flexible.

Playing in more than one position is something Simo has promoted ever since he started with us and it isn't hard to to see why the likes of Sheed, Kelly, Yeo and Shuey may well play / rotate forward in parts of games.

Still, the vast majority of the players you've listed are based in Victoria. Dangerfield as arguable as well, given his absolute best has come at Geelong. Travel does play a factor.

Fyfe and Ablett are the exceptions, really. The former is basically Freo's entire midfield and the latter is an absolute all time great. However, let's not forget that Fyfe is basically a poor man's Yeo.

Also, I don't think it's fair to count Shuey's earlier finals against him when it comes to assessing his September record. Giving Port a heart attack and that Norm Smith more than make up for it.

I think most people would instantly agreee with this, myself included based on the recent semi final.

But if you look at the raw stats for both players in that game, there's a fair case Yeo still held his own.

Yeo - 25 disposals (13 contested), 4 marks (1 contested), 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 6 score involvements, 435 metres gained, 80 ranking points.

Dangerflog - 18 disposals (14 contested), 6 marks (4 contested), 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 6 score involvements, 314 metres gained, 85 ranking points.

Those crucial one on one's Dangerfield won in the air against Yeo made it seem like he gave him a bath. Frustrating to watch, but not the whole story.

If Yeo had won one or two of those, which normally i'd back him in to, he'd have taken the chocolates. Played surprisingly meek that game 😧
Dangerfield has matched and beaten Yeo in the air on more than one occasion . Dangerfields marking surprised me as I thought Yeo would dominate that part of the contest and lose the contested groundball side of things .
Genuinely Enjoy the match ups of
Yeo vs Danger
Yeo vs Dusty
Yeo vs Fyfe

Dangerfield has matched and beaten Yeo in the air on more than one occasion . Dangerfields marking surprised me as I thought Yeo would dominate that part of the contest and lose the contested groundball side of things .
Genuinely Enjoy the match ups of
Yeo vs Danger
Yeo vs Dusty
Yeo vs Fyfe
Yeo on Bont is also a good one

How do you think a bloke as slow as him can lead into space and get separation enough to take all these marks? Might as well chuck Priddis off the HFF :shrug:

Sheed is good at lurking forward and kicking clutch goals. He kicked one in the 2018 GF not sure if you have seen it check it out, but even then he got that from just sort of being there. It was a 1 on 1 contest between Rioli and Maynard where Rioli was unfairly infringed upon and received no free kick, but Sheed was lurking and took the mark then kicked a pretty regulation goal. His midfield opponent was nowhere to be seen.

But yes, he's not a HFF. In 2019 he was top 3 in clearances, top 2 in contested possessions and kicked 16 goals. Good return would take again. I don't think he's getting 125 uncontested marks if he plays as a HFF. Redden is similar. Kicks a few goals when he finds himself as an extra body inside 50, but he's not a HFF either.

Sheed is good at lurking forward and kicking clutch goals. He kicked one in the 2018 GF not sure if you have seen it check it out, but even then he got that from just sort of being there. It was a 1 on 1 contest between Rioli and Maynard where Rioli was unfairly infringed upon and received no free kick, but Sheed was lurking and took the mark then kicked a pretty regulation goal. His midfield opponent was nowhere to be seen.

But yes, he's not a HFF. In 2019 he was top 3 in clearances, top 2 in contested possessions and kicked 16 goals. Good return would take again. I don't think he's getting 125 uncontested marks if he plays as a HFF. Redden is similar. Kicks a few goals when he finds himself as an extra body inside 50, but he's not a HFF either.

What about high half forwards?

Prob not the clubs desired term to describe a player at the Eagles ATM!:oops::oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back