Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here) Part 2 "The Second Wave"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane McGoodwin

What we did here is not an example of best practice, rather what our leaders felt was the best thing to do.

Going into Lockdown because of an assumption of Community Transmission in one case, based on a contact tracing investigation is not Best Practice.

This is because no other jurisdiction have done this.

Best Practice (universally accepted method) in handling COVID is to consider using lockdown when the Reproduction number goes above 1.0

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So it is best practice according to you?

Not tested in the broader industry.

It really is just a buzz word now.

Depends if you believe in buzz words or actually the real thing.

Performance or actions not talk matters in the end...

Depends if you believe in buzz words or actually the real thing.

Performance or actions not talk matters in the end...
A method that is not universally accepted is not Best Practice.

It may be a better method though.

Best Practice is not the best method, just the most commonly used.

A method that is not universally accepted is not Best Practice.

It may be a better method though.

Best Practice is not the best method, just the most commonly used.

... then it becomes the new best practice. E.g. my methodology for costing COVID is now part of the IHPA guidelines & adopted by nearly every jurisdiction.

... then it becomes the new best practice. E.g. my methodology for costing COVID is now part of the IHPA guidelines & adopted by nearly every jurisdiction.
But you have to agree what our Govt did was not best practice...

Marshall dismissed criticism of the state’s hotel quarantine program, but said it would be subject to an investigation. Asked if the government would provide compensation to businesses that suffered significant financial losses from the sudden shutdown, Marshall said the best thing for business was to get the state reopened as soon as possible.

“Compensation is not something that we’re contemplating at this point in time,” he said.

I would hate to have a business given a few hours notice to close, throw out all my stock and then 2 days later told it was a mistake but I had to wear the cost.

Marshall dismissed criticism of the state’s hotel quarantine program, but said it would be subject to an investigation. Asked if the government would provide compensation to businesses that suffered significant financial losses from the sudden shutdown, Marshall said the best thing for business was to get the state reopened as soon as possible.

“Compensation is not something that we’re contemplating at this point in time,” he said.

I would hate to have a business given a few hours notice to close, throw out all my stock and then 2 days later told it was a mistake but I had to wear the cost.
Our State can't afford it.

Would be a billion plus.

Went to the supermarket a little while ago. Seems the toilet paper panic has ended with the shelves pretty much fully stocked.

Not many people either which was a pleasant surprise, and I'd guess about 90% of people wearing masks

Yes - I was wearing a face mask

Last edited:

Not much different to me losing several months of work at my second job, that job not being eligible for JobKeeper, and the State government not doing anything about it.

Business will just have to suck it up like everyone else has.

Devil's advocate, keen for discussion/criticism/thoughts - and this isn't just directed at South Australia obviously - if our entire societal and economic model loses billions of dollars and gets thrown in to turmoil because of 3 days of people not buying things, then perhaps a bigger issue here is the sustainability/viability of the model?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devil's advocate, keen for discussion/criticism/thoughts - and this isn't just directed at South Australia obviously - if our entire societal and economic model loses billions of dollars and gets thrown in to turmoil because of 3 days of people not buying things, then perhaps a bigger issue here is the sustainability/viability of the model?
Agree.

COVID should change a lot of attitudes towards business sustainability.

Did you miss what happened in Victoria & other parts of the world.

Time is of the essence to act quickly!

This isn't fake news.

I also used the word "may" as nothing is a given.

Thought you’d think for yourself. But I guess your contracts result in you falling in line with your customer. Shame, you’re an intelligent person. But I guess contracts result in you having to tow a line.

Our State can't afford it.

Would be a billion plus.

Leave it to the rate payers and businesses to pay for. They are the suckers that already fell for it so just keep taking until they won’t give any more. But that’s a long way off because there a docile compliant bunch.

And I see the USA hit a record 192,000+ cases yesterday and over 2,000+ deaths but yep everything is ok over there according to the person in power. Just wow!
201,083 today. 1951 deaths. It’s just horrendous. Was watching a few videos from drs dealing with it... they are exhausted. Absolutely mother*******ly exhausted. And it’s getting worse every single day.

Maybe, but it's irrelevant. It still requires the virus to have been transferred to the box from the infected person. So this requires bodily fluid to transfer from the infected person to the box and then the person ordering the pizza to physically touch that part of the box, transfer the fluid to fingers and then transfer the fluid from finger to eye, nose or mouth prior to washing of hands.

Before Jen or the other types throw the hahas around the place, I understand this is a genuine risk, this is one of the ways that the virus spreads and why we've been concerned with how long it lives on hard surfaces and why there's sanitiser everywhere we go these days. But it does require a few things to line up, the most likely event from infecting a heap of pizza boxes is that the boxes end up in the rubbish without transferring that infection to anyone. But, whilst being unlucky, you wouldn't be surprised to find out that's how you became infected if the pizza bar becomes a known source.

Then there's the reality that these guys were rolling asymptomatic and handling food and pizza boxes constantly but only 22 people had tested positive and strangely nobody outside of this guy and the close contact group tested positive. So even if this guy is the 1 guy that got unlucky via pizza box or pizza, what difference does it make to the implemented controls? Absolutely none whatsoever. They saw testing lines clogging up, delayed results, struggling contact tracing system and they panicked. Pure and simple.
No laughing from me... Do you remember the Auckland cases that popped up out of nowhere after 100 days of no cases? Did they ever get to the bottom of that? There was some thought that it was transferred on surface of frozen goods. I guess in the SA case an infected person “could” sneeze onto a pizza box....or a whole bunch of them....

Thought you’d think for yourself. But I guess your contracts result in you falling in line with your customer. Shame, you’re an intelligent person. But I guess contracts result in you having to tow a line.
Lol, I have been one of SA Health's biggest critics over the years. Hence I left at was outspoken about certain corrupt activities.

You know I make my own mind up on whether something is being done competently or otherwise.

SA Health's overall handling of COVID has been first class... but like nearly every crisis no one gets everything right all the time. They have admitted where they have made a wrong call & adjusted accordingly. That's good leadership rather than doubling down & attempting to cover up.

My only criticism of the latest lock down is imo they should have reversed it effectively immediately at yesterday's press conference... but funny how you missed this post as it would show I'm not in total agreement. ;)

Agree.

COVID should change a lot of attitudes towards business sustainability.

This was one of the early thought pieces - more directed at China and our reliance on them for a lot of things

But there are many more issues such as JIT logistics (just in time) where shelves are empty - though perishables have their own time issues.

On the original question I would like to ask those who spent time off work how busy they were at work? Food Retail would have been gearing up for busy times but clothes, shoes and other areas not so much?

I know because when this first started in Feb we classified our business as essential and kept working - yet this time the bosses couldnt wait to shut the doors - ie we were scratching for work and it had looked that way until after Xmas.

Kane McGoodwin

What we did here is not an example of best practice, rather what our leaders felt was the best thing to do.

Going into Lockdown because of an assumption of Community Transmission in one case, based on a contact tracing investigation is not Best Practice.

This is because no other jurisdiction have done this.

Best Practice (universally accepted method) in handling COVID is to consider using lockdown when the Reproduction number goes above 1.0

Kane McGoodwin is an accountant, not a health professional. He is highly skilled, but he’s not a scientist. But sometimes attempts to prosecute skills in all areas. He’s no more clued into the SA Gov reasoning than the average idiot next to all of us.

201,083 today. 1951 deaths. It’s just horrendous. Was watching a few videos from drs dealing with it... they are exhausted. Absolutely mother*******ly exhausted. And it’s getting worse every single day.
Including Trump & Giuliani juniors.

Meanwhile President spending his energies claim he still won the election despite Georgia final result & that the pharmaceutical companies deliberately delayed the vaccine until after the election to worsen his chances.

Just * off already & get someone in who cares about your country in crisis & wants to help.

Kane McGoodwin is an accountant, not a health professional. He is highly skilled, but he’s not a scientist. But sometimes attempts to prosecute skills in all areas. He’s no more clued into the SA Gov reasoning than the average idiot next to all of us.
Mostly true.... but I'm in regular contact with health management... so pretty sure I know more about this than the average Joe.

I also have a good understanding of the competent operators in SA Health & those who are useless. Hello EPAS, Sunrise, Sunset...

Far easier to take when we haven’t already had 5 months of nothing and another 6 months going to be severely impacted.

Thats what the guy standing next to you thinks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back