Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, apparently she spent only 1 week in quarantine, and was picked up as positive only when tested upon arriving in Adelaide. Stuff-ups all round.
If we let that person back in under these conditions, whoever made the decision needs to answer some questions. 1 week quarantine, untested, yeh sure, come on in.

An 'exempt' overseas traveler from Victoria, she obviously didn't spend the full 14 days in quarantine in Victoria or if she did she wasn't tested before she left Victoria.

What the fu** is happening in Victoria? This woman flew in from overseas and was 'self isolating'. She was allowed to leave self isolation after a week and board a flight without being tested. What the fu** is happening in SA? She was tested at Adelaide Airport without continuing her isolation and in the meantime contacted a large number of family members before her positive test result was confirmed. Her symptoms are not severe but SA Health now have to track family contacts, the passengers on the flight, airport staff etc. etc.

This is cluster fu** from both sides of the border. Nicola Spurrier is saying SA will be reviewing it's exemptions protocols. That may be bad news for FIFO AFL teams from Victoria.

At the risk of stating the obvious everyone flying in from overseas should do 14 days in quarantine regardless of the circumstance. There must be no exemptions.
yeah its pretty simple to set up a Test before flight regime put in place but it was obviously too hard.

I cannot believe an international traveller was allowed to fly internally before being tested, its speaks volumes about those in charge. How did SA even get down to zero cases with muppets making decisions like this.

I'm pretty angry.

And importantly, picked up before she had the opportunity to spread it. So at least your part of the border check is working.
She was in contact with flight crew, other passengers and everyone at both airports before the positive result.

Dr Spurrier said the woman had a "significant number" of contacts in South Australia, who would be followed up on.

She had the opportunity to spread it sadly.

I don't know why SA Health is so squeamish about saying where positive cases are located.

It gives people who live in that area the chance to be extra vigilant or cautious.

I don't know why SA Health is so squeamish about saying where positive cases are located.

It gives people who live in that area the chance to be extra vigilant or cautious.
Yes, it's not like they need to say it was 'Lisa S' at 742 Evergreen Terrace. A suburb is surely not going to identify anyone. Unless they fear that if they announce a suburb then it will increase complacency elsewhere. I can see that concern, given people are getting antsy about lockdowns continuing given our good run of late.

Probably Unley or similar

Who else would be granted travel exceptions?

She was in contact with flight crew, other passengers and everyone at both airports before the positive result.

Dr Spurrier said the woman had a "significant number" of contacts in South Australia, who would be followed up on.

She had the opportunity to spread it sadly.
If she was not wearing a mask at least on the flight, and was not isolated seating wise, and we end up with new outbreaks, Spurrier needs to be sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except for potentially the people she was on a flight to Adelaide with.

and the airport staff she had contact with and the family members she made contact with instead of completing her quarantine. Nicola Spurrier glossed over the potential seriousness of the situation possibly because it is an embarrassment for SA Health. I cannot help but think this is possibly St Nicola's Mini Ruby Princess moment.

Listening to Spurrier on the TV this does not look good for FIFO footy. I suspect we will be the scapegoats in a toughening up exercise.

and the airport staff she had contact with and the family members she made contact with instead of completing her quarantine. Nicola Spurrier glossed over the potential seriousness of the situation possibly because it is an embarrassment for SA Health. I cannot help but think this is possibly St Nicola's Mini Ruby Princess moment.

Listening to Spurrier on the TV this does not look good for FIFO footy. I suspect we will be the scapegoats in a toughening up exercise.
Yep, my first thought was exactly that, a mini Ruby Princess, where for 'reasons'and without even testing prior it seems someone can leave quarantine early and fly!! FLY! On a plane with other people, through an airport and wherever else and whoever else she saw before the test result came back (days). Pretty shambolic effort by SA Health right there it appears. They need to come clean.

If she was not wearing a mask at least on the flight, and was not isolated seating wise, and we end up with new outbreaks, Spurrier needs to be sacked.
Let us hope it isn’t SA’s Ruby Princess, but most likely it will be contained.
Just strange she was tested after leaving the plane in SA yet not before boarding in Melbourne.
FFS it was just a 60 minute flight.
They really do owe the public answers.

Let us hope it isn’t SA’s Ruby Princess, but most likely it will be contained.
Just strange she was tested after leaving the plane in SA yet not before boarding in Melbourne.
FFS it was just a 60 minute flight.
They really do owe the public answers.
My conspiracy theory is it is a 'well to-do' type who knew someone in power allowing them to break quarantine and come back.

One of the questions on the permission form..

Question 1 on the request form.

Are you an Adelaide Crows supporter? Yes...
your request has been approved.

Even Navy ships, back when I served, could dock but not disembark until customs or health cleared us (on the rare occasion they required a review).

NSW health should have turned up, along with the ambulances requested and taken the emergency patients away.

Then tested all or at least those with symptoms, processed the tests and held up disembarkation until the results were available the next day. in Japa

Being alongside, fresh food, medication, health services etc are far easier to deliver than out at sea.

It’s a frustrating one and no doubt the port authority, the captain, the operators, the on board medical staff, border force, the test lab etc all contributed to failings and learnings for NSW health in better process, communication and management will be great.
Last night's 4 Corners looked at both 1) the Diamond Princess the Carnival Cruise Line ship in Japan - which at one point was had the 2nd highest number of cases and deaths only behind China and had been split away from Japan's officials numbers - and 2) Carnival's Ruby Princess cases. Some lessons were learnt from Diamond Princess but stuff ups still occured. And there was the down playing of cases by Carnival.

Its clear to me, Carnival didn't want another Diamond Princess on its hands, docked for 13 weeks. I have to think they knew getting in at 2.30am, there would be minimal NSW Health staff to check them.

To see a doctor on a Carnival ship it can cost an arm and a leg. Its been built as a profit centre for Carnival. On 7.30 a couple of weeks ago a guy who saw the doctor on a Carnival ship - can't remember if it was the Ruby Princess, got a bill for $8,000 for using the doctor on board and his treatment over a few days. Video at the link below but here is relevant transcript.

ELISE WORTHINGTON (Reporter): Four days in the mood shifted when the World Health Organization declared a pandemic.

DR TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS, WHO DIRECTOR-GENERAL: Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly

TRACEY TEMPLE (Passenger): We were watching the news and we didn't know until we were on the ship that it had been classed as pandemic. Then of course you panic, and you think, oh my God, you know, cause there's no way you can get off.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: Princess announced it would stop new cruises for the next 60 days.

JAN SWARTZ, PRESIDENT, PRINCESS CRUISES: We've been asked, and we've asked ourselves, why COVID-19 seems to be impacting Princess so heavily. We don't really know. We hope you will stick with us and give our team a chance to shine at a later date.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: Already at sea, the Ruby Princess sailed on.

PASSENGER VIDEO: This is Wellington, rugby stadium here right next door

ELISE WORTHINGTON: As the cruise continued, passengers began to fall ill. In Wellington 5 were tested for COVID- 19. All were negative. The Ruby Princess sailed north to Napier Passengers joined tours around the town oblivious to the risk they could be spreading the virus.

TOUR GUIDE: These are the 6 sisters to your left, beautiful wooden buildings.

DIANE FISH (Passenger and tour leader): We came back we hit a restaurant, we hit every single store on the street to support the locals and that's what we did.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: When she returned to the ship Tracey Temple was one of an increasing number of passengers who were feeling unwell.

TRACEY TEMPLE: A, I wouldn't go to the doctor because they charge you like a wounded bull. B, I just put it down to a transplant thing, I didn't ever, ever have it cross my mind that it was COVID-19.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: The Ruby Princess left behind a cluster of infections in New Zealand with 24 people testing positive.

JACINDA ARDERN, NEW ZEALAND PRIME MINISTER: We now suffering the consequences here in New Zealand as a result of that cruise ship.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: In the middle of March, the Australian and New Zealand Governments took action against cruise ships.

SCOTT MORRISON, PRIME MINISTER: The Australian government will also ban cruise ships from foreign ports from arriving at Australian ports after an initial 30 days and that will go forward on a rolling basis.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: The Ruby Princess was given an exemption and turned around to head back to Australia.

PASSENGER VIDEO: Our last bit of New Zealand as we've been kicked out of here and we are going home to Sydney.

DIANE FISH: It was 9.30 at night and that's when they made the announcement, "this is an important announcement. We have been asked to go straight back to Sydney. The government from Sydney is going to let us disembark a couple of days early. When I know more. I'll let you know".

TRACEY TEMPLE: Ship life was the same, there was entertainment all throughout the day and the night. Nothing had changed whatsoever; it was all the same as what you'd do on a normal cruise anyway

ELISE WORTHINGTON: As the Ruby Princess headed back to Sydney the ship's head doctor warned New South Wales Health the ship seemed to be in "the early phases of an influenza A outbreak". Passengers were told nothing.

TRACEY TEMPLE: They just kept reassuring you all the time, this ship is virus free. Like the steward that comes and cleans your room, he kept saying, "No we're clear. This ship is good, we are free. We, we don't have to worry".

DIANE FISH: Behind me you'll see the mountains, that's where we're supposed to be. They are giving us very little information, but we are very safe, and everyone is well, and I'm are not aware of any sickness onboard this ship.

DEAN SUMMERS: (Union boss) That's when people didn't get the clear message. That's when the company should have had the decency to tell the crew, what the situation was because still they were scratching their head, and not knowing what the current situation was.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: Under new regulations the Ruby Princess was required to report to authorities if anyone on board had coronavirus like symptoms.

MICK FULLER (NSW Police Commissioner): So you've really got to go back to the 6th of March when the Federal government and endorsed by the New South Wales State government endorsed tighter on passenger ships coming into New South Wales waters and that was all about mandatory reporting of COVID-19 like symptoms.

People have symptoms and symptoms is coughing, temperature and flu-like symptoms, so I guess what it comes down to is if someone had the flu then from my perspective, based on the escalation of the Australian government and the State government, that should have been someone classified as having COVID-19 like symptoms.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: The ship submitted a series of mandatory pre arrival health reports to federal authorities. The first report showed 53 people were sick and 10 had a temperature. Over the next two days those figures more than doubled. 13 people were swabbed for COVID-19

MAUREEN DAWES: On the Wednesday night I seen people with masks on and I thought, it's on board.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: NSW Health asked for more detailed information about sick passengers. The ship reported less than one percent of those on board had "influenza-like illness". On that basis NSW Health decided it was "low risk". It emailed the ship to say, "the NSW Health expert panel has assessed the Ruby Princess as NOT requiring on board health assessment in Sydney"

"We would however ask you to send the... samples to our lab for COVID testing" "You are free to disembark tomorrow..." But NSW Health wasn't told when more sick passengers came forward later that day.

VICKY ANSOTOULOS: (Shine Lawyers) We know from the evidence that's been given to the Special Commission of Inquiry to date that there appear to be discrepancies between the information that was disclosed to the public authorities and what was really going on the ship. So, these inquiries are going to be really important to get to the bottom of the truth and whether there was a real gap in the information and whether there was a coverup as well in the information that was being provided by Carnival to the public authorities.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: On the final night of the Ruby Princess's voyage the atrium was packed for the farewell party.

ANNOUNCER: We want to say thank you for cruising with us thank you for taking your time again I'm going to say this a couple more times but thank you for being positive throughout all these tumultuous times, you have been amazing.

VICKY ANSOTOULOS: There were people packed together without any social distancing whatsoever, and this happened in circumstances where the cruise, the ship's captain and the other crew knew that there were sick people on board that ship. These are very serious matters and again, there are very serious matters and again there are very serious questions that need to be answered here.

DIANE FISH VIDEO: So, reporting live from the Ruby Princess today

ELISE WORTHINGTON: Passengers had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

DIANE FISH VIDEO: We are all holding strong being as patient as possible to disembark tomorrow morning. So, until we meet again, princess proud.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: Just before 7 pm the ship's port agent was dialing 000.

MICK FULLER: it was a seventeen minute 000 phone call from a Carnival employee to New South Wales Ambulance and they were trying to book two ambulance to take off two passengers who had both presented with upper respiratory issues and they both had secondary health issues, one to do with a heart issue and one to do with lower back.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: And did they report there was a risk the patients could have COVID 19?

MICK FULLER: Certainly, in that phone call that was obvious to me that they were concerned about that and personal protection equipment was mentioned, masks et cetera and symptoms, people with the flu. So, there was certainly enough concern in that phone call that meant that the ambulance officer who took the call escalated to their supervisor because of their concerns.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: That Ambulance supervisor called the NSW Port Authority to warn that a ship was "coming in with some coronavirus patients on board"

ELISE WORTHINGTON: The Harbour Master emailed staff on duty, "under the circumstances we've now received from NSW Ambulance please deny the booking"

MICK FULLER: That then caused the port authority to have concerns with the Ruby Princess and actually asked them to stop their progression into Sydney Harbor.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: After more late-night phone calls the head of the Port Authority rang a senior manager at Carnival Australia. That manager told the Port Authority boss, that the ambulances were not called for COVID-19 related reasons and that NSW Health had determined the ship was low risk and had cleared it to berth and disembark passengers. As a result of that conversation, the Port Authority reversed its decision and allowed the ship to dock.

MICK FULLER: So, I reviewed a number of 000 phone calls between the Port Authority, between New South Wales Ambulance, radio transmissions between the Port Authority and the ship, email transmission between the Port Authority and the ship. What I was looking for was evidence around COVID 19 like symptoms on the ship that would have clearly rated the ship to a medium or high-risk classification. At no time did I find COVID 19 like symptoms mentioned anywhere in any of the paperwork from Carnival or the Ruby Princess.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: So, what does that say to you?

MICK FULLER: Well, it says to me a couple of things is that ,was there an honest response from the ship, whether that's a captain, the doctor or the crew in relation to the health of the ship as it was coming into the port of Sydney?

ELISE WORTHINGTON: The Ruby Princess docked at 2:30 in the morning. Two passengers were rushed to hospital. Both would later test positive for COVID-19. The other coronavirus swabs taken from passengers were also sent for testing.

On the morning of the 19th of March crew lined up to farewell the passengers.

DIANE FISH: So, you're doing this high five all the way down the ship and I'm like literally thinking, oh my god, I just touched 50 people. What was I thinking? So, we get off and I'm thinking, this is crazy, there's nobody, nobody's protected. It must not be that bad, that's what I'm thinking it's probably not that bad.

MAUREEN DAWES: (Passenger) All the staff were on the balcony waving and clapping and stuff and we were all moving very quickly.

TRACEY TEMPLE: They, to me, they herded you off like cattle as quick as you could get off, and we had no checks whatsoever, we just went through.

DIANE FISH: I mean, it wasn't a thing because we felt safer on the ship. I mean, we thought we were going to go into the problem. We didn't realize we were going to be the problem.

ELISE WORTHINGTON: Diane Fish's group headed through the crowd for a bus transfer.

DIANE FISH: Then I get on the bus and I'm no sooner sit down and everybody around me Is coughing. I'm Like Mike, oh my god, did you hear that? And then we started getting a little paranoid, oh my god, everybody on this bus is coughing.

Last edited:

Doesn’t argue well for any attempt to open the border in any way shape or form judging by the public reaction. Would be interested to know how many people are now being forced into self isolation though this instance.

I think the process involves everyone on the flight waiting for an extended period of time in a holding area while people are processed by sapol or the federal police? Think it’s actually sapol?

Just heard SEVEN news report that Madam X was tested and went straight into quarantine. I have to publicly apologise to Professor Spurrier as what she said was,

The woman had a "significant number" of contacts in South Australia, who would be followed up on.
However, all of those people were associated with her flight and her time at Adelaide Airport, and the woman had not been "freely moving around" the state.

But, if she was supposed to be in some sort of 'in flight isolation' what was she doing associating with her significant number of contacts on the flight or at the airport?

Marshall and Spurrier won't fly AFL footballers who have their balls tested off 'em in or out of SA but they will fly some one in from overseas who has not completed the mandatory quarantine requirements.

I note they are not saying which overseas country Madam X came from. That makes sense as there are some nutters out there who would take it out on innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back