Coronavirus and Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
No. But your work would have evaluated that particular risk and chosen control measure(s) to mitigate.

Doesn't reduce the risk to zero. There is no job that has absolutely zero risk of catching covid19. Risk assessments are done to ensure that risk is mitigated to an extremely low risk but it will always be there.

Doesn't reduce the risk to zero. There is no job that has absolutely zero risk of catching covid19. Risk assessments are done to ensure that risk is mitigated to an extremely low risk but it will always be there.
You look at two things, probability and severity. In the case of the common cold there is no need to eliminate the risk.

With covid19, the severity has increased so the control measures reflect that.

Businesses have closed doors, people work from home.

It's not always viable to eliminate a particular risk, but it certainly can be done.

Ahsog

??
Feb 26, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Sounds like the injury woes continued in the Bundesliga overnight. Their injury rate would be up by about 250%. Worrying stuff. Lots of these players just aren't match conditioned.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You look at two things, probability and severity. In the case of the common cold there is no need to eliminate the risk.

With covid19, the severity has increased so the control measures reflect that.

Businesses have closed doors, people work from home.

It's not always viable to eliminate a particular risk, but it certainly can be done.

People working from home are still at risk of covid. It does not eliminate the risk. Any working environmemt where the risks of covid are lower than that is a safe workolace with mitigation controls in place.

The testing data from resumed football leagues and the first lot of testing post resuming of training clearly indicates the safety of the game.

We are all going to be at risk of covid for the rest of our lives or until a vaccine can be developed. Once the suppression phase has ended contact test / tracing / quarantine for vulnerable people is the way forward ( I see the UK is finally doing this, 3 months after Taiwan did).

People working from home are still at risk of covid. It does not eliminate the risk. Any working environmemt where the risks of covid are lower than that is a safe workolace with mitigation controls in place.

It does eliminate the risk from a workplace safety perspective. It may well be that other risks arising from that need to be assessed.

The testing data from resumed football leagues and the first lot of testing post resuming of training clearly indicates the safety of the game.

No it doesn't, we have only just started contact training.

No. But your work would have evaluated that particular risk and chosen control measure(s) to mitigate.
Work had no idea she was still sick on Tuesday.

It seems there's some confusion as you agree it's impossible to guarantee no risk in a return to the office environment it seems.

Work had no idea she was still sick on Tuesday.

It seems there's some confusion as you agree it's impossible to guarantee no risk in a return to the office environment it seems.

I think we're talking about two different things to be honest.

It is entirely possible to eliminate a particular risk or hazard.

Of course it's not possible to have a workplace where nothing bad can happen.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Sounds like the injury woes continued in the Bundesliga overnight. Their injury rate would be up by about 250%. Worrying stuff. Lots of these players just aren't match conditioned.
Players careers going to be derailed here. Rushed end to the * football season, followed by a short pre season going into next season, followed by euros in 2021.

Lack of pre season going into spurs 18/19 season saw us fall off a cliff massively at the back end of the season, with our English, French and Belgian contingent all playing in the final 2 games of the WC.

Certainly seems like the rush to finish this season will have a big impact on next season as well.

I think we're talking about two different things to be honest.

It is entirely possible to eliminate a particular risk or hazard.

Of course it's not possible to have a workplace where nothing bad can happen.

Yes I am talking about the latter, although I also think the former is not possible. In reality it's never possible to fully eliminate a particular hazard. We had a case of Coronavirus in NT when there were supposedly no active cases in the territory. So while they thought they had eliminated the hazard, they hadn't in reality despite being in lockdown.

Unless your workplace has people working in full hazmat suits, traveling to work strictly by car and not having any interaction with anyone outside that workforce, you cannot fully eliminate the hazard from the workplace. Even if you did do these things, there would still be countless ways an infection could get in.

And if you really genuinely believe that football and other industries shouldn't operate until there are zero cases of COVID-19 and there is therefore zero risk of people contracting it, we may as well shut down countries for a long time.

Ahsog

??
Feb 26, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Players careers going to be derailed here. Rushed end to the * football season, followed by a short pre season going into next season, followed by euros in 2021.

Lack of pre season going into spurs 18/19 season saw us fall off a cliff massively at the back end of the season, with our English, French and Belgian contingent all playing in the final 2 games of the WC.
I do recall Spurs horror run after the WC. Every team will be in that high risk category now which is concerning. A similar thing happened in the NFL in 2011 when they had a lockout. Players came back with limited preparation and there were a significant increase in Achilles injuries.

Certainly seems like the rush to finish this season will have a big impact on next season as well.
Why would a team with little or nothing to play for rush their best players back? What incentive do they have? They may as well play youth or depth players and focus on next season. Keep your best players wrapped in cotton wool. There are no crowds, so it’s not like they’re letting down the fans who paid money to see them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd certainly think teams like Man City/Newcastle/anyone else with very little actually to play for in the PL would just play a very deep squad of kids and peripheral talent to minimize injury risk.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
I do recall Spurs horror run after the WC. Every team will be in that high risk category now which is concerning. A similar thing happened in the NFL in 2011 when they had a lockout. Players came back with limited preparation and there were a significant increase in Achilles injuries.

Why would a team with little or nothing to play for rush their best players back? What incentive do they have? They may as well play youth or depth players and focus on next season. Keep your best players wrapped in cotton wool. There are no crowds, so it’s not like they’re letting down the fans who paid money to see them.

I guess AFL and NRL will see increased injuries too

Yes I am talking about the latter, although I also think the former is not possible. In reality it's never possible to fully eliminate a particular hazard. We had a case of Coronavirus in NT when there were supposedly no active cases in the territory. So while they thought they had eliminated the hazard, they hadn't in reality despite being in lockdown.

Unless your workplace has people working in full hazmat suits, traveling to work strictly by car and not having any interaction with anyone outside that workforce, you cannot fully eliminate the hazard from the workplace. Even if you did do these things, there would still be countless ways an infection could get in.

And if you really genuinely believe that football and other industries shouldn't operate until there are zero cases of COVID-19 and there is therefore zero risk of people contracting it, we may as well shut down countries for a long time.

Elimination of the risk is the best control, and it can be done. It's not always practical though, and I've never suggested that football can't start until a risk is eliminated.

The only reason I mentioned it was in response to Zidane who suggested that zero risk wasn't a thing. It most certainly is.

Yeah curious because I haven't noticed much in the first few NRL games although there's been a few in this current game already.

I'd be happy if we did this, although there is an argument of why we're exposing our kids to those conditions. Wouldn't do a lot for the integrity of the competition but I think that shipped sailed a long while ago.

I suspect we'll want to keep our best players in some sort of rhythm for the FA Cup and Champions League. So maybe a mix of kids and first teamers, we've got a pretty deep squad as it is and there will be some that are desperate to play.

Ahsog

??
Feb 26, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Not necessarily. The likelihood of injuries will increase.

There’s an article on the AFL website about it all. They reference the Bundesliga situation. Decent read if you’re interested:

Lots of articles out there from other sports keeping a close eye on the Bundesliga. I read an ESPN one on cricket before. Obviously other leagues around Europe are doing the same. Will be interesting to see if they do anything differently.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC

The warriors have had to call in loan players after being smashed by injuries as they ramped up their training. Bit different scenario for them as they didn't think they'd be allowed to compete for a while and then an agreement got slapped together putting them in Tamworth and then Gosford

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
I'd be happy if we did this, although there is an argument of why we're exposing our kids to those conditions. Wouldn't do a lot for the integrity of the competition but I think that shipped sailed a long while ago.

I suspect we'll want to keep our best players in some sort of rhythm for the FA Cup and Champions League. So maybe a mix of kids and first teamers, we've got a pretty deep squad as it is and there will be some that are desperate to play.

surely if domestic league is so dangerous, you’re vehemently against a competition sending your players internationally. I mean any win would lack integrity...

surely if domestic league is so dangerous, you’re vehemently against a competition sending your players internationally. I mean any win would lack integrity...

I would be quite happy for the champions league and FA Cup to be cancelled. I've been calling for that to happen since this started.

Ahsog

??
Feb 26, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The warriors have had to call in loan players after being smashed by injuries as they ramped up their training. Bit different scenario for them as they didn't think they'd be allowed to compete for a while and then an agreement got slapped together putting them in Tamworth and then Gosford
Geez. That’s rough. The NRL doesn’t sound like it has gotten off to the greatest start injuries wise. I don’t know what they’re like on a regular week though. Barely follow it.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I would be quite happy for the champions league and FA Cup to be cancelled. I've been calling for that to happen since this started.

Everyone is happy for those competitions to be cancelled if it is deemed medically unsafe to play.

If it is deemed medically safe to play of course they will be played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back