News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He put me on ignore (again lol) just when the new thread started and cos my post was first it credits me with starting the thread even tho the mods did it.

He won't take me off ignore so he can't see the thread, he might have even done it but isn't posting out of ... well being Tef.

There's so much interesting stuff coming out now too. I can't keep up with it all.

Da hell did I just watch?

Chooks ... in helicopter gunships.

Kind of reminds me. There's this show called dog loves books that my 4 yr old kid watches. Every now and then it makes oblique references to ripper books. Today they mentioned the book where those animals take over the farm.

That work was done in the US, tho the director or former director of the Wuhan facility is one of the researchers.

My point is both sides knew, and worked together on these things for at least a decade, in all likelihood trying to develop vaccines and treatmeats against this sort of virus.

December 27

China’s health authorities told a novel disease, then affecting some 180 patients, was caused by a new coronavirus.

December 26-30

Evidence of new virus emerges from Wuhan patient data.

December 31

Chinese internet authorities begin censoring terms from social media such as Wuhan Unknown Pneumonia.

January 1, 2020

Eight Wuhan doctors who warned about new virus are detained and condemned.

January 3

China’s top health authority issues a gag order.

What that fails to mention is that Chinese authoritarians notified the WHO on Dec 31. The day they confirmed that what they were told about the coronavirus was true according to that timeline.

Im not trying to support the Chinese government either. The things they do are disgraceful, but I dunno if they are actually as responsible for this as is being made out. There are war drums beating about this, faintly but they are there.

I doubt they completely knew what they were facing till they made the decision to lock down the city, then the province. And their reaction, doing that lockdown, seems to me one of "Holy fu** what do we do to stop this?"

The bats were taken from Wuhan and unless I’ve missed something they were only being eaten in Wuhan? Why is it on America to stop Chinese people eating Chinese bats when they have zero control over what China does? I’d understand if your point is that Americans took the bats from China, did some tests, found out that the virus can jump to humans, kept it to themselves and put their feet up.

That’s not the case though. China were well aware of the study and did nothing. Absolutely nothing. To my knowledge they didn’t even tell their people they were eating diseased bats and it put themselves and everyone at great risk because it’s a novel disease.

Instead they just put it in the too hard basket and played roulette with the worlds health.

It’s not like China can’t get s**t done. They brutally shut down Wuhan with efficiency the world hasn’t seen since the Germans started rounding up Jews and Gypsy’s. I know that sounds hyperbolic and a bit gross, but what other country could do what China did as quick as they did it?

The bats were taken from Wuhan and unless I’ve missed something they were only being eaten in Wuhan? Why is it on America to stop Chinese people eating Chinese bats when they have zero control over what China does? I’d understand if your point is that Americans took the bats from China, did some tests, found out that the virus can jump to humans, kept it to themselves and put their feet up.

That’s not the case though. China were well aware of the study and did nothing. Absolutely nothing. To my knowledge they didn’t even tell their people they were eating diseased bats and it put themselves and everyone at great risk because it’s a novel disease.

Instead they just put it in the too hard basket and played roulette with the worlds health.

It’s not like China can’t get s**t done. They brutally shut down Wuhan with efficiency the world hasn’t seen since the Germans started rounding up Jews and Gypsy’s. I know that sounds hyperbolic and a bit gross, but what other country could do what China did as quick as they did it?

It didn't necessarily come from the market or from eating live animals.

It could have been a different virus they made in America that got out in Wuhan.

But haven't China repeatedly tried to stop wet markets and tried to educate people about how sketchy they are since SARS? It doesn't mean it will work. In Australia the protocols that are recommended by people who work with horses are never followed. Well rarely.

Horses can transmit a virus from bats to humans that has either 75 or 100% mortality rate and as a result there are all sorts of hygiene practises and supposed restrictions on contact between humans an horses. Never works in practise.

It's a very similar situation and as hard to stop the bad practices or enforce them as it would be stopping those more extreme eating habits.

Chooks ... in helicopter gunships.

Kind of reminds me. There's this show called dog loves books that my 4 yr old kid watches. Every now and then it makes oblique references to ripper books. Today they mentioned the book where those animals take over the farm.
Watched it too :) There is some quality kids stuff going on these days, Bluey is bloody awesome, and Sarah and Duck is a crack up too sometimes

Spose countries like the US, Italy, Spain and almost the rest of the world don’t have a military dictatorship that locks people in their home.

In Shanghai they explained the situation and everyone just went "ok" and put on masks, shut up businesses and closed the schools. I guess they had a taste of SARS and knew how bad it could get. People are compliant here, that's for sure, but the result in Shanghai is that the worst has past (fingers crossed) and everything is almost back to normal.

My question would be if the same virus antibodies remained in the system in some capacity.

In theory, yes, but for what extent of time is variable, and I feel like not enough time has passed for us to have any definite "knowns" yet.

The swab tests are PCR tests. PCR tests tell you if you are currently clinically ill with the virus. Antibody testing is done on blood samples, and depending on what specific antibody they are testing for and within what time frame, you could still get false negatives. There are 5 types of antibodies we produce in our bodies. Most tests for recovery and immunity are done on IgG antibodies, as they make up the majority of long-term circulating antibody-based immunity against invading organisms. But it typically takes about four weeks after the initial response kicks in for a measurable amount of IgG antibodies to be built up.

Initially though, when a body's immune system mounts a defense against a virus, the first antibody activated is IgM. This takes about 7-9 days, so much faster than IgG. But there's still a window, and depending on which antibody you are testing for, and when in the disease process you are testing, you can always get false negatives.

I don't know which antibodies they are testing for, but hopefully we'll see a day where we can test people who have recovered for IgG, and find that they have immunity four weeks, six months, two years, etc. down the road. A whole lifetime maybe. Tincture of time I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The meat works cluster is raising a lot of questions as to why they haven't been named until the media broke ranks and did. Lets see what develops - could be a very interesting story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back