Covid-19 Coronavirus, how did SA and TAS handle it so correctly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Population, and population density.

Also s**t hit the fan in Tasmania at one moment, they were just able to get over it.
Tasmania did have the most infections per capita until a couple of weeks into Victoria's outvreak, and still has the most deaths per capita largely because its one serious outbreak was in the nation's most stressed health system in ordinary times (sadly, Victoria will almost certainly take over in the next few days).
It also has zero international flights, was the first to impose state border restrictions, and obviously has no substantial land borders to sneak across. The Tas govt even shut Bunnings, one of the congestion points in most places, on the north west coast during the Burnie crisis.
And even the high per capita numbers were relatively low in absolute numbers, making the control easier along with travel restrictions internal to the state.

Clearly queensland have managed their citizens that went overseas better than wa did

I believe that qld send teams of agents to walk ahead of all their expats with fogging machines spewing covid killing juices

thats why qld has had less people returning infected with covid

wa on the other hand actually encouraged their expats to attend known covid clusters overseas to prove just how tough west australians are.

as a result more west australians have come home infected with covid and this is totally down to the wa governments covert covid corona-carrying contamination policy. (cccccp)

you will of course note the striking similarity in the number of c’s in that acronym and the amount of letters in the word “idiot”

this was not a coincidence!!!!

Victoria are a rabble with NSW beginning to experience a wave.

The other states have continued to manage ok though.

Queensland - 12 active cases
Western Australia - 7 active cases
South Australia - 4 active cases
Tasmania - 0 active cases

Sweden has had 5743 deaths.

they have 1/33rd of the us’ population.

that is like the us having 189000 deaths.
You mean 14,200. Death rate is 568 per million. We have 25 million. 25x568=14200
But that's being generous because we have a younger median age and lower percentage of over 65s than the Swedes.
Interesting to note that other countries starting to overtake them in deaths per million now. They've slid down to 8th. Too early to be slamming their strategy.

South Australia and Tasmania also the first two states to eliminate community transmission.
2020-08-03 01.00.07.png

Victoria are a rabble with NSW beginning to experience a wave.

The other states have continued to manage ok though.

Queensland - 12 active cases
Western Australia - 7 active cases
South Australia - 4 active cases
Tasmania - 0 active cases

I can find a population of Rural Victoria without virus, it is more than equivalent to all of tasmania.

You mean 14,200. Death rate is 568 per million. We have 25 million. 25x568=14200
But that's being generous because we have a younger median age and lower percentage of over 65s than the Swedes.
Interesting to note that other countries starting to overtake them in deaths per million now. They've slid down to 8th. Too early to be slamming their strategy.
I meant the US -not us

With Delta spreading like the plague in NSW and beginning to make it's way around Victoria, I wonder whether or not the other states and Northern Territory will be able to keep it out.

With Delta spreading like the plague in NSW and beginning to make it's way around Victoria, I wonder whether or not the other states and Northern Territory will be able to keep it out.
Those of us Queenslanders living near the border are getting a bit nervous. One case from NSW and we will be in lockdown, Anna said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those of us Queenslanders living near the border are getting a bit nervous. One case from NSW and we will be in lockdown, Anna said.

To me there is too much animosity and dick measuring ( yeah even the NSW and QLD premiers ).
For example, Tweed should be part of Queensland for Covid restriction purposes.

To me there is too much animosity and dick measuring ( yeah even the NSW and QLD premiers ).
For example, Tweed should be part of Queensland for Covid restriction purposes.
It should but the NSW govt is even more nervous about that than the virus. "There could be unintended consequences" to moving the checkpoint 10km south, says Barilaro. Like what?* The good constituents living in the Tweed area don't know who to be unhappiest about - Gladys locking them down (in which case they can't go to work anyway unless they're essential), preventing them from going to work or Annastacia only allowing her version of essential workers to come into Qld.

If Delta enters Qld via the border the first place locked down will be the Gold Coast, which can ill afford any more setbacks to the tourist and hospitality industry it relies on.

*Thinking that this is another one of those "equity" issues that the Premiers are all so fond of, ie NO exceptions.

Edited to correct: only some regions of NSW are locked down, doesn't include Tweed area.

Last edited:
As the table below shows, only two states have 0 active cases of coronavirus.

View attachment 909852
There's more than enough talk regarding how Victoria got it so wrong.

However I would love to know how South Australia and Tasmania got their handling of the pandemic so right?
No one lives there.

Population, and population density.

Also s**t hit the fan in Tasmania at one moment, they were just able to get over it.

Yeah that's what I would have thought, perhaps oversimplifying it but seems valid to me.

Actually I don't remember things going bad in Tassie, I felt they were always on top of it, there was a lot happening last year though.

Yeah that's what I would have thought, perhaps oversimplifying it but seems valid to me.

Actually I don't remember things going bad in Tassie, I felt they were always on top of it, there was a lot happening last year though.
They copped a cluster in the north-west (mainly around Burnie) off an infected Ruby Princess returnee. It was responsible for about 220 cases (and they've had only 235 in total) and all of their 13 deaths.

It was in April 2020.

Last edited:
It should but the NSW govt is even more nervous about that than the virus. "There could be unintended consequences" to moving the checkpoint 10km south, says Barilaro. Like what?*
They're just precious about losing territory, even if it's just temporary. Personally I think the border should be permanently moved south, to somewhere with fewer people in the vicinity. Borders in general are too rigid these days. Just because someone in the 1850s decided a border should be in one particular place, doesn't mean it must be there in perpetuity. Times change, settlement patterns change and people's needs change.

They're just precious about losing territory, even if it's just temporary. Personally I think the border should be permanently moved south, to somewhere with fewer people in the vicinity. Borders in general are too rigid these days. Just because someone in the 1850s decided a border should be in one particular place, doesn't mean it must be there in perpetuity. Times change, settlement patterns change and people's needs change.

Thing is , most people didn't give a rats about it.
Living on one side of the border wand working the other was a bit like living in a differrent LGA.
Probably a few little things , like car rego once a year. But generally no big deal.
Suddenly it means something.

Thing is , most people didn't give a rats about it.
Living on one side of the border wand working the other was a bit like living in a differrent LGA.
Probably a few little things , like car rego once a year. But generally no big deal.
Suddenly it means something.
There are of course some differences, such as road rules and stamp duty. I don't see a need for many of those differences to exist though. We don't gain anything as a nation by having 8 different sets of road rules and 8 different school curricula.

There are of course some differences, such as road rules and stamp duty. I don't see a need for many of those differences to exist though. We don't gain anything as a nation by having 8 different sets of road rules and 8 different school curricula.

They used to have a fair few accidents when Victorian's had left hand turn giving way to right hand turn, and NSW had the opposite.
Victoria originally had it to stop cars in the middle of the road waiting to turn right from blocking the tram tracks.

Also that weird daylight savings time of the year when you lose an hour crossing the border.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back