Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
Test as many as possible, even for temprature and other symptoms. Have a portable ct-scan at the airport. Quarantine them for 2 weeks. Plenty of things.
So let's test 30,000 people each day. Where do you put them while you're waiting for the results? We are asking them to quarantine for 2 weeks. We can't enforce it beyond threatening fines and we don't have 30,000 places for them in camps or jaials.

What is a ct scan going to show?

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You’re drunk, go home..

AFL already in discussions to cover seating with advertising to diversify income streams.

I've been home for three weeks. I don't drink. Your assumptions are your undoing.

In the last two hours since the keyboard warriors have been telling us this is not even as bad as the common flu there had been 4000 new cases and 300 deaths. And in Italy they stopped counting. Other countries will follow suit.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Another Hypothesis I see..

4 days old..

1584755228353.png

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've been home for three weeks. I don't drink. Your assumptions are your undoing.

In the last two hours since the keyboard warriors have been telling us this is not even as bad as the common flu there had been 4000 new cases and 300 deaths. And in Italy they stopped counting. Other countries will follow suit.
Stopped counting? Really? Why would they stop counting? That’s concerning in itself.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

I actually think it will. If current measures hold and there are no reported player cases (in both AFL and NRL) they will definitely try to keep going at least until Easter.
Political pressure alongside increasing government endorsed protective measures will force their hand.

Things will turn ugly over the next week.

Let's hope we still have a job to return to after all this.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Stopped counting? Really? Why would they stop counting? That’s concerning in itself.

The Mayor of Lombardi thinks the Italian death figures are 4 x higher than being reported.

He said it's sweeping through nursing homes and retirement villages with most elderly suffering and sucombing to the disease without being able to be seen by anyone.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So let's test 30,000 people each day. Where do you put them while you're waiting for the results? We are asking them to quarantine for 2 weeks. We can't enforce it beyond threatening fines and we don't have 30,000 places for them in camps or jaials.

What is a ct scan going to show?

You make room. When this is all done it will be looked upon differently.

CT can show even the slightest onset of pneumonia in the lungs.

I'm sure the Italians think it's hysteria too.

How many people died in Italy during the lat 3 flu seasons? 68,000

How many people die in Italy every day

Please don’t highlight pain, suffering and misery out of context

This is a terrible thing but needs a rational, logical response rather than an emotional one driven by media fear and politicians wanting to be seen doing something

Please look how every serious flu has played out in history, especially recent history. This will be no different

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Here you go.

From Reuters:

"The mayor of the most badly affected city, Bergamo in the affluent northern region of Lombardy, said the true number of fatalities from the pandemic in his area was four times higher than was officially reported so far.

“Many of the elderly are dying in their houses or in old people’s homes, without anyone testing them either before or after they die,” Giorgio Gori told the Huffington Post.

He added that a dozen mayors of other cities had confirmed the same thing to him."

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I actually think it will. If current measures hold and there are no reported player cases (in both AFL and NRL) they will definitely try to keep going at least until Easter.

They're already talking about banning interstate travel and quarantining suburbs. They will have a meeting on travel on Tuesday. By round 2 there will be 4000 cases and more deaths here but will see catastrophic numbers around the world, ergo, I predict those measures will be put in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
The temperature checking measure makes sense provided the process is safely undertaken. For example, the idiotic employer of my mum had her undertake temperature for all staff and visitors to the office premises on Thursday. They had her do this without providing her with any safety mask to administer the temperature check. Mum, unfortunately not thinking twice, did this which unnecessarily exposed her to the virus and every other subsequent person she tested after potentially coming into contact with a carrier.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here you go.

From Reuters:

"The mayor of the most badly affected city, Bergamo in the affluent northern region of Lombardy, said the true number of fatalities from the pandemic in his area was four times higher than was officially reported so far.

“Many of the elderly are dying in their houses or in old people’s homes, without anyone testing them either before or after they die,” Giorgio Gori told the Huffington Post.

He added that a dozen mayors of other cities had confirmed the same thing to him."
Terrible.

Hey do you know the answer to the cases closed question I posed? Haven’t seen it anywhere how someone who tests but has mild symptoms becomes closed case.

Light_Soda

Debutant
Nov 22, 2008
Neon City
AFL Club
Sydney
a healthy immune system can resist the flu. I was run down in June last year and ended up with influenza which developed to pneumonia. I couldn't breathe at many times, and it was the probably one of the most frightening times of my life.

the major problem with a novel coronavirus is that none of us have immunity to it. once you've inhaled droplets or transferred contact of the SARS coronavirus-2 to your nose, mouth or eyes, you will develop COVID-19. it is overwhelming health systems because of this.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/change.htm

When antigenic drift occurs, the body’s immune system may not recognize and prevent sickness caused by the newer influenza viruses. As a result, a person becomes susceptible to flu infection again, as antigenic drift has changed the virus enough that a person’s existing antibodies won’t recognize and neutralize the newer influenza viruses.

Antigenic drift is the main reason why people can get the flu more than one time, and it’s also a primary reason why the flu vaccine composition must be reviewed and updated each year (as needed) to keep up with evolving influenza viruses.

Also, we have vaccines for the flu, and yet we still see astronomical active cases and astronomical numbers of deaths - even for the current season thus far.

And the quote I brought up is why we have seasonal flu vaccinations, which is something we don't have currently for COVID-19.

Last edited:
Its frustrating because there are people on both sides who are clearly completely wrong and they feed off each other, making one another more stubborn.

The virus is very serious and people need to treat it so but you just know hardly anyone is. I hate this trait of modern life how their is no individual responsibility and its easier to blame the Government, your work or someone else entirely. Dont touch anything you dont have to when you're out, wash your hands, stay home if you have ANY symptoms and the virus will be stopped much quicker. Its easier for people to just go about their daily lives then blame someone else later.

On the other end of the scale, I struggle to see how we end up worse than Italy's death rate / total death numbers. There are several factors that go into this that have been detailed many times on here but if someone can explain to me with logic and facts about how we could end up worse or the same as Italy given they had more than 3 times the number of deaths of us by the time we had a similar amount of cases I'm all ears.

For my part, I think the obvious things the Government should have and could be doing better
1) Honesty and clarity in their messaging with the approach we are taking and why.
2) Shutting down the borders A LOT sooner - this annoys me the most
3) Have started manufacturing our own kits sooner so we can test as many people as humanely possible at all times.

Light_Soda

Debutant
Nov 22, 2008
Neon City
AFL Club
Sydney
Its frustrating because there are people on both sides who are clearly completely wrong and they feed off each other, making one another more stubborn.

The virus is very serious and people need to treat it so but you just know hardly anyone is. I hate this trait of modern life how their is no individual responsibility and its easier to blame the Government, your work or someone else entirely. Dont touch anything you dont have to when you're out, wash your hands, stay home if you have ANY symptoms and the virus will be stopped much quicker. Its easier for people to just go about their daily lives then blame someone else later.

On the other end of the scale, I struggle to see how we end up worse than Italy's death rate / total death numbers. There are several factors that go into this that have been detailed many times on here but if someone can explain to me with logic and facts about how we could end up worse or the same as Italy given they had more than 3 times the number of deaths of us by the time we had a similar amount of cases I'm all ears.

For my part, I think the obvious things the Government should have and could be doing better
1) Honesty and clarity in their messaging with the approach we are taking and why.
2) Shutting down the borders A LOT sooner - this annoys me the most
3) Have started manufacturing our own kits sooner so we can test as many people as humanely possible at all times.

There is currently work on less invasive measures of the test being developed, one of which is a swab test that people can do at home.

My idea: send these kits out to all Australians at an affordable fee (as done by DNA-heritage sites) - and then use these funds to either donate to COVID-related charities or the healthcare system.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
You make room. When this is all done it will be looked upon differently.

CT can show even the slightest onset of pneumonia in the lungs.
I think if people have pneumonia they'll be showing some symptoms and should be tested as per current conditions.

You supplied 30,000 arriving per day. That's 200,000 per week. We don't have a place to put them and putting them is a single place may be worse than sending them home. It's not practical.

Take their temperature would be good, but if they have the virus but don't show symptoms, then clearing them would send them into the community. Self isolation is the way to go for now.

Solutions have to be practical. Closing the country, testing everyone and waiting for a vaccine, on paper, is a way we could stop the virus. On so many levels, it is impractical.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Even at a 0.7% mortality rate, if by an absolute miracle that remains the same when our hospitals are completely overwhelmed.

We are on track for around 1,500,000 infections and 10,000 deaths by Anzac Day.

We have around 1,000 ICU beds with ventilators in the entire country.

You do the math.
If more than 1000 are dead by Anzac day please tag me in this and I'll happily eat a slouch hat on the day

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How many people died in Italy during the lat 3 flu seasons? 68,000

How many people die in Italy every day

Please don’t highlight pain, suffering and misery out of context

This is a terrible thing but needs a rational, logical response rather than an emotional one driven by media fear and politicians wanting to be seen doing something

Please look how every serious flu has played out in history, especially recent history. This will be no different

You're trivializing it and I find it appalling.

From October 2019 to January this year which is flu season in Italy there was less than 250 deaths in three months. Three has been 4000 "reported" deaths in just over three weeks of Covid-19.

They are using the military to transport coffins.

Family can't attend funerals and are quarantined.

People are dying in homes and left there while the family can't leave their house.

Yep just like flu season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back