Cotchin Kicks Walker & Cops A Fine !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he was. Same reason Nank was getting into him too. Our leaders were flying the flag in support of their Aboriginal team mates.

Tex's comments on radio saying "I would have got a month" show that he's not truly sorry. In his mind he seems to think that he's a victim.

He needs to shut up and focus on playing footy. The media needs to stop giving him a voice. He doesn't deserve to be heard.

Richmond s**t takes 🤣

If you kicked or even tried to kick someone in public people would think you're a dog.

That's Cotchin.

Watching it at the time I thought any reasonable person would see it was a classic Cotchin snipe and quite clearly an intentional kick as opposed to the mental gymnastics required to land on "he was just trying to protect himself".

There's been plenty of cases where the AFL have flip flopped all over the place to try and stamp things out of the game that are bad looks and I don't think this really should be any different. If the MRP are willing to land on "Nic Nat should calculate the mass and velocity impact of any potential tackle and it's resulting effect on a player" I don't think "Shouldn't intentionally kick someone" is a huge challenge to get to.

As it stands they utilised the rules in place to deem it a fine which I don't have a problem with, that's the rules in place as they're currently written. The problem is the AFL refuse to use them consistently which drives all fans up the wall. So instead of having a clear view of the application of the rules Brad Scott will dictate "it's up to individual interpretation of the rule" which just lets the AFL do whatever the * they want, whenever the * they want and all the fans clash heads trying either trying to apply logic to an event or bending over backwards trying to support their team.

Cliff notes: No problem with fine to Cotchin, big problem with AFLs consistency and clarity in application of rules.

Irrelevant points I've ignored in coming to this point of view:
Tex is racist
Cotchin is a 3 time premiership captain.

What happened to potential to cause injury?

Ben Long glanced Jack Macrae on the chin .... Macrae fell over .... got up ..... and played out the match without issue

Ben Long copped a week because his action could have caused injury

Yet dogact kicking out at someone .......?

MRO is an inconsistent joke

I think people have been flying the flag for Tex Walker a bit too much so far this year.

I couldn't believe it when the issue of him being booed was brought up in the media after one week. Where was that sort of support for Adam Goodes?

Trent Cotchin wasn't the only player to get into Tex on the weekend. Very strong indigenous presence at Richmond and they certainly had some grievances to air.

I know oppo fans don't have a very high opinion of Cotchin, but if anyone else had done what Cotch did (which really wasn't even that bad), you'd all be applauding them.

lol what are you smoking mate? They gave him Australian of the Year by the end of that saga.

Either way, anyone taking a position that cheap violence against a player on the field is OK if they personally think they deserve it is a disgrace, and should look in the mirror before judging others from a position of moral superiority

As a Richmond supporter, this is my view:

Does it look bad? Of course it does.
Do we want it in the game? Of course we don't.
Do I think a fine is appropriate? Yes.

You're lying on the floor in a vulnerable position, and a 194cm, 100+kg player is coming towards you. You're obviously going to try something to maintain a distance between yourself and the oncoming person, so sticking a leg out is probably the most natural reaction to make in the position Cotchin was in.

I understand why the action was taken, I agree it doesn't look good, but I'll do it as well in a similar situation, and I'd guess a lot of other people would do as well.

What happened to potential to cause injury?

Ben Long glanced Jack Macrae on the chin .... Macrae fell over .... got up ..... and played out the match without issue

Ben Long copped a week because his action could have caused injury

Yet dogact kicking out at someone .......?

MRO is an inconsistent joke
Bit of a difference in the level of impact between the Long one and the Cotchin one. No one is going to get injured from getting a small tap on the leg.

As a Richmond supporter, this is my view:

Does it look bad? Of course it does.
Do we want it in the game? Of course we don't.
Do I think a fine is appropriate? Yes.

You're lying on the floor in a vulnerable position, and a 194cm, 100+kg player is coming towards you. You're obviously going to try something to maintain a distance between yourself and the oncoming person, so sticking a leg out is probably the most natural reaction to make in the position Cotchin was in.

I understand why the action was taken, I agree it doesn't look good, but I'll do it as well in a similar situation, and I'd guess a lot of other people would do as well.
There’s a lot of mental gymnastics going on trying to justify a blatant kick.

There are literally hundreds of football collisions just like this one that occur in a week of football. Yet almost never does a player resort to kicking a player to protect themselves.

I’d like to emphasise that I’m not defending what Tex said in the media nor what he did last year. But in that collision he did nothing wrong, it was a fair shepherd after which they clearly got tangled up and both fell over, he has every right to assume that his opponent won’t kick him.

Also just so no one thinks I’m mad because I’m a Crows fan, I also think that Gardiner and Cox should’ve received a week too. All three are acts which are bad enough that they should receive suspensions regardless of the outcome.

There’s a lot of mental gymnastics going on trying to justify a blatant kick.

There are literally hundreds of football collisions just like this one that occur in a week of football. Yet almost never does a player resort to kicking a player to protect themselves.

I’d like to emphasise that I’m not defending what Tex said in the media nor what he did last year. But in that collision he did nothing wrong, it was a fair shepherd after which they clearly got tangled up and both fell over, he has every right to assume that his opponent won’t kick him.

Also just so no one thinks I’m mad because I’m a Crows fan, I also think that Gardiner and Cox should’ve received a week too. All three are acts which are bad enough that they should receive suspensions regardless of the outcome.

I don't think anything what I've written is mental gymnastics. I would love for you to point out which part is.

In a confrontation when both players are standing up, how many times do you see a player thrust out an arm to the chest of the opposition to maintain distance? I would argue that the same concept is seen in the incident here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anything I've written is mental gymnastics. I would love for you to point out which part is.

In a confrontation when both players are standing up, how many times do you see a player thrust out an arm to the chest of the opposition to maintain distance? I would argue that the same concept is seen in the incident here.

Three points:

1. It is legal to push someone, it is not legal to kick someone, it doesn’t matter what the motive or intent is, you are not allowed to kick another player and you should be suspended for it. Comparing a push and a kick is mental gymnastics.

2. I go back to my previous point, players fall on each other all the time, yet you almost never see a kick. If this was such an understandable reflex action why is this not happening on a regular basis?

3. This wasn’t a confrontation. Watch the footage, Walker applied a legal shepherd which knocked Cotchin over, causing Walker to trip and nearly land on Cotchin. This is a contact sport, you can’t resort to illegal violence just because someone might land on you.

It was graded low impact. Has to be medium impact or higher for potential for serious injury to come into it.
IMO this is where the ratings system is flawed, punches and kicks should be a week automatically regardless of the impact, then grade them up accordingly. You can’t have a situation where a poorly executed bumps or tackles which are legitimate football actions can receive suspensions but intentional illegal strikes receive fines.

Three points:

1. It is legal to push someone, it is not legal to kick someone, it doesn’t matter what the motive or intent is, you are not allowed to kick another player and you should be suspended for it. Comparing a push and a kick is mental gymnastics.

2. I go back to my previous point, players fall on each other all the time, yet you almost never see a kick. If this was such an understandable reflex action why is this not happening on a regular basis?

3. This wasn’t a confrontation. Watch the footage, Walker applied a legal shepherd which knocked Cotchin over, causing Walker to trip and nearly land on Cotchin. This is a contact sport, you can’t resort to illegal violence just because someone might land on you.

1. My point about having an arm out to push someone isn't me comparing a push to a kick; it's what the action does - which is to maintain distance between yourself and what you think could be someone looking to be aggressive with you. Clearly when you're in the position Cotchin is in, sticking the arm out would make no difference at all, which is why I think sticking the leg out is understandable.

2. And I'm going to assume (dangerous, I know) that the incidents you're describing are when players are not aware that a player is coming towards them. I doubt you can find an example of situation similar to Cotchin where he is on the ground, and is aware that Walker is coming at him with no chance of stopping.

3. Where did I say it was a confrontation?

1. My point about having an arm out to push someone isn't me comparing a push to a kick; it's what the action does - which is to maintain distance between yourself and what you think could be someone looking to be aggressive with you. Clearly when you're in the position Cotchin is in, sticking the arm out would make no difference at all, which is why I think sticking the leg out is understandable.

2. And I'm going to assume (dangerous, I know) that the incidents you're describing are when players are not aware that a player is coming towards them. I doubt you can find an example of situation similar to Cotchin where he is on the ground, and is aware that Walker is coming at him with no chance of stopping.

3. Where did I say it was a confrontation?

1. I’ll meet you half way, I can understand why Cotchin felt in danger. But kicks are still illegal and you can’t do them, there’s no way to get around that.

2. I’m sure it happens plenty of times, I can’t give you a specific example in the AFL right now but I know it’s definitely happened to me before while playing, and I reckon if you’ve played it’s happened to you before.

3. You compared what Cotchin did to pushing someone in a confrontation, a confrontation is a very different circumstance to a legal footy hit.

1. I’ll meet you half way, I can understand why Cotchin felt in danger. But kicks are still illegal and you can’t do them, there’s no way to get around that.

2. I’m sure it happens plenty of times, I can’t give you a specific example in the AFL right now but I know it’s definitely happened to me before while playing, and I reckon if you’ve played it’s happened to you before.

3. You compared what Cotchin did to pushing someone in a confrontation, a confrontation is a very different circumstance to a legal footy hit.

1. Which is why I make the point that I don't like the way it looks and agree that it shouldn't be in the game. But that doesn't mean I don't understand why Cotchin did what he did.

2. I doubt in scenarios similar to the Cotchin one though.

3. Just arguing over semantics now. You would see the same action if someone is trying to start a confrontation and someone is trying to keep distance.

1. Which is why I make the point that I don't like the way it looks and agree that it shouldn't be in the game. But that doesn't mean I don't understand why Cotchin did what he did.

2. I doubt in scenarios similar to the Cotchin one though.

3. Just arguing over semantics now. You would see the same action if someone is trying to start a confrontation and someone is trying to keep distance.
Seems like we probably agree mostly then, and I’m not calling Cotchin a grub or a dirty player or anything. But it was a dirty act, and I can’t agree that there can be any situation where a deliberate kick can not result in a suspension.

My bad.

Got it conflated for 2017 where he punched Lachie Neale in the gut and got a fine where he 100% shoulda been suspended.

History of dog acts on a footy field
Does he? If they never charge him with anything then he never gets the reputation.
Unlike others who are convicted purely on their history.
Protected species.

It was graded low impact. Has to be medium impact or higher for potential for serious injury to come into it.
Long's was graded medium impact yet Macrae got straight up and played out the game ..... how does that work?

Also you ignored the point about the MRO stating that Long's brush of Macrae's chin had the potential to cause injury even though it didn't ...... so you are saying Cotchin's kick didn't have the potential to cause injury if he connected properly in say ..... a more sensitive area?

Pretty clear some players are protected species

Remove this Banner Ad

Back